Nero not burning cd / Q about cheaper version!

I've been using Nero since I bought my first TDK cd-rw a few years ago. I really like the software and have since upgraded my TDK to a much faster Buslink which came with a newer version of Nero (V.5). This is on my desktop and I also have a cd-rw on my laptop. The problem with the laptop is the cd-rw is set up to use Windows Media Player (Win XP) to burn the cd's and I absolutely hate it!!! I went to install the Nero that came with the desktop rw and everything installed properly on the laptop. Just when I create a cd it states the "burn process was done successfully", but when I go to play the cd it's blank. I checked the properties and it's blank.

I've heard that sometimes the software will only work with the specific cd-rw it came with. Is this true or maybe I don't have the settings set properly?

IF I can not use the version that came with my desktop on my laptop, what about this $8 version here:

Can someone explain the difference between this $8 version and the actual full $80 version? How can I tell if this will work with my laptop? Will it also work with my desktop (upgrade from V.5)?

What about this version from ebay?

They're all over ebay at this price.

I'm bascically looking to:

1) burn mp3's onto cd-r's
2) burn mpeg movies to cd-r's (VCD)
3) burn pictures to cd-r's
4) Create a WAV cd (brother doesn't have mp3 yet)

Thanks for any input on this!

I've never had a TDK, but I've burned CD's with my Creative drive using many different versions of Nero, CloneCD & WMP ... all without fail (of course it doesn't work 100% - but good enough).
I never checked out your links, but usually the difference between full versions and skimpy versions (ie. trial,etc) is that they won't convert MP3's or u can only burn X number ... little things like that.

Back