Need Some Help

Ladymindful

You know how it’s I will start on Monday. This t8me I have to. I’m 71 and weigh 220. I don’t exercise or walk. I’m sick of feeling and looking like this. Any tips for how you get going.

get smarter about nutrition... this is the guy who started me off.

Dr. Jason Fung - 'Therapeutic Fasting - Solving the Two-Compartment Problem

Any tips for how you get going.
Yes, start a good diet right now. I am sure you know what one should look like. And then start a diary here on the the Weight Loss Diary page https://weight-loss.fitness.com/forums/weight-loss-diary.9/ . Tell us more about yourself and your goals their and you will get lots of support and advice. And post at least daily to start, showing us what you are eating, what exercise you are doing (if any, its not necessary for a start), and asking any questions you have.

You will figure out over time what works best for you, so don't worry about the particulars of the diet, just start one. You can and probably will change it as things evolve. The only real time to start a good diet is right now!

Best of luck to you, and I am hoping to be following your progress.

My tip: no last hurrahs. Construct a diet you can keep up long-term so you don't need a final splurge. That way a) you're more likely to stick with it and b) you're skipping a frustrating one-pound gain right at the beginning.

Oh LaMa I used to call it my last supper and it was every Sunday !!
Hi Lady . Also don’t look at it as a diet . More of a change of lifestyle. You say you don’t walk but can you walk . If so start off doing a few turns of the garden or the sitting room . And you can do this .

Hello, Lady M. :) good for you, for drawing the line and saying this far and no further, to the weight that's getting you down. I salute your decisiveness, for saying that here is where it stops - not one more day is that stuff going to be in control! :hurray:

What everyone has said is spot on, of course - I agree emphatically about no last hurrahs, and about not being on a diet, but instead about "this is how I'm eating now".
From my perspective, it's helped to think of the changes in terms of self-respect, and respect for a good working body which has served me well for decades - not fobbing off my body's reasonable demands for food with second-rate junk, but eating the best, most nutritious food I can afford/find/prepare - and giving myself the pleasure of wonderful walks in as lovely places as I can get to, too.

Best wishes to you, and I look forward to hearing how it's going!

Hi, LadyM & welcome to the forum.
:iagree: with all of the above. Work out a way of life that is healthy & sustainable & will work for you & just start. Nothing so black and white & so restrictive you can't stick at it.
Starting a diary & typing in it every day will bring you not only support from others, but can also help you formulate a plan. I find my diary is great therapy & often I type something & then delete it, but by doing so it gets things clearer in my head.

Hi there,

It's really hard when you first start. I was 76kg after a period of anxiety and depression towards the end of last year when I was out of work.

Since I started trying to seriously lose weight a couple of months ago, I've found a few things really help:

1. Set little goals - everyone has a target weight, but because losing weight is a long process (and should be if you want to do it healthily!) it can really put you down when you first start and feel like the process is slow. So set milestones to hit on the way to your target weight - this should help you stay motivated.

2. Diet - the best thing to do here is find healthy foods that are also satisfying to eat and filling. These include boiled potatoes, eggs, fish, oatmeal and particularly soups. Soups are an amazing meal to help you lose weight that are actually really satisfying, filling and delicious.

3. Exercise - Exercise is one of the best natural mood enhancers there is and it'll help you lose weight and stay motivated. It doesn't have to be intense, just going for walks every morning will help so much.

These three are a good start, and should help you better stick to a healthier diet. I wish you all the best, and please drop a reply in here if you have any questions.

I actually got a lot of great tips recently from this article I found here Link removed. It taught me so much and gave me a lot of great tips and resources. Hope you find it useful.

Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's truly hard when you first beginning. I was 90 kg after a time of uneasiness and discouragement towards the finish of a year ago when I was unemployed.

Back