Need help with leg flexibility!

hi everybody

im Benny

i been in the martial arts since 3 years

unfortunately i had to discontinue my training due to an muscle injury to my leg.

i kick-started my training 3 months back,
since then i been puting myself into fighting shape
however i am noticed a significant decrease in leg flexibility.
i am unable to kick above hip level
any form of stretching would leave my muscle sore the next day
even a mild stretch doesnt work

the kicks have grown sloppy in relation to my punches which are showing good progress

to avoid any further problems ive stopped working on my lower body and am concentrating on upper body strength and technique

could it be that the muscles of my leg are too weak

can anybody help please?

Ask you instructor about it. If not, keep stretching. Look into Pavel Tsatsouline's Relax Into Stretching.

Basically the key to stretching is to relax. If you force it too much with too much tension on your muscles, it is damaging, hence your soreness the next day.

what worries me is the fact that the problem never existed prior to the leg injury.
my legs were as flexible as could be and i could kick to head height with ease

also the problem is specifically in the hamstring area. i have making some gentle stretches but with no real results.

also i had heard on thomas kurz website that repeated stretch injuries could be a result of weak muscle strength

should i start strengthening my legs with exercise

or could a physician help me this regard

do you have any sugestions
thanks
benny

Well it all started off when i was performing the hindu squats as refered to by thomas kurz in his website.
I had been practicing these squats with great success starting off from 20 to 400 squats in six months.
As such my target was to reach 500 and then reduce the time elapsed in performing it. I started of reducing my time in doing a hundred squats from 03:05 min to 2:20 min over a period of 3 to 4 weeks.
But when i tried to further reduce the time i guess i sacrificed some form and balance and got a sudden pull in my hamstring. i couldnt walk as it was to painfull.

Im not sure whether it was a tear or what but i was sore for a week or so
I havent spoke to any physician about it since i thought it was over exertion,
however i did manage with some icing and formentation.

Since then i had to stop martial arts practice for 3 months or so for personal reasons------now im back!!

i ve been contemplating going to a physiotherapist

i guess i should do that

i also considering getin back to workout with my leg

maybe that should make things better
coupled with some attention to form and technique
i guess that should prevent any further injury

LeiYunFat said:
No, see a doctor. See a physiotherapist. Don't work out.

Yup. You can either fix it now and get back to lifting and martial arts or possibly mess it up even more and be out longer.

got to my physician, says its probably due to a sudden withdrawl from heavy exercising

says i must slowly and gradually return to my normal workout pattern :)

gettin a final appointment to confirm the problem and a look into the injury-
probably a muscle pull or something

Back