Need advice on where to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddymadge

Hi, I m 5ft5 for 191 pounds. At 40 years old, female, I am currently at my heaviest and I seriously need to lose weight. However, I live far from towns and I hate driving ( no buses where I live). I also work around 60 to 70 hours a week. So I would like to do some exercises at home to get me started. I suffer from a lung condition that makes me breathless very quickly but I also know that it can get better if I get fitter. I also suffer from chronic back pain that limits my movements but it might get better once I lose a few stones. I have a mechanical treadmill and I have started doing 5 minutes for warm up and I am hoping to increase this as soon as the breath allows it. I then do some dance cardio that focuses on the core for another 6 minutes ( no jumping, I can't do that) and I do what I can do ( but already can do more after the 4th time so I am not totally doomed lol) followed by some stretches ( all videos taken from Youtube). I purchased some tension bands and I do some exercises using a 10 lbs band, again using videos from Youtube. I can feel my arms aching after each time , my legs not so much so I will need to find exercises for that. If I change my diet, should these exercises help me lose weight or am I doing things totally wrong? Talk to GP about it, they do not seem to know much to be honest. I would welcome any tips or advice. I d like to lose about 60-65 pounds so a lot of work to be done but we all have to start somewhere :) Thanks in advance

Diet is the primary factor in fat loss, exercise helps with health and maintaining muscle while loosing the fat. what you are doing is a good start.

for legs, a simple beginner exercise with minimal / no equipment

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BWStepUp.html

My friend had some health problems caused by his weight and after showing to health experts, he had suggested to start eating healthier, less oily and ideally homemade foods and prevent sugar, alcohol and to drink green tea for weight loss. Now it’s been 2 months and he has lost 30lbs.

Proper exercise and dieting are good for a healthier life, although many people turn to costly fad diets and employ programs that fail to provide weight loss and a healthy lifestyle. The standard tenets to constant weight-loss and great health include eating healthy diet routines and increase daily exercises.

Welcome Maddy!

Trusylver is right, diet is what has the most impact on weight, but exercise can help and is good for you. So you are wise to be starting to exercise.

I don't have any special diet or exercise expertise beyond my own experience but I will share some of that with you.
  • I have lost 160 lbs and am now at my goal weight, it took over a year, all of it was lost with the support and advice of people on this forum. The forum works.
  • Most of my weight loss came from eating less, I posted my food and calories here everyday, I still do. It not only kept me accountable but allowed folks to see what I was eating and provide advice. That helped me better adapt the diet to my own needs. It was nothing magic, I just consistently ate fewer calories than my body was using, that is how you lose weight.
  • Like you I started unable to exercise much, I started out very modestly and built up to what I think has been a good healthy exercise pattern. It took a while but I got here, so can you. Though exercise and fitness is something you never quite get to where you'd like to be, always one more goal, that's a good thing.
  • I know my exercise has helped with the weight loss, particularly those last pounds before getting to goal. More importantly I think I a healthier because of it.
  • I don't have a lung condition, but before I started this I was easily out of breath. Climbing a single set of stairs winded me. That is gone now, I have pretty good breathing and can climb a lot of stairs, I even "climbed" a 1,000 meter high mountain.
  • I had lots of aches and pains, arthritis mostly. Losing weight and exercising has made all of them better, not all cured but a lot better.
  • I am not the only one here with this kind of experience, you will find others who have taken a bit different path than I and done just fine, you can find yours, that is the best thing about the forum it will help you do that.
One suggestion, you should start a diary on the Weight Loss Diary page, that's the best way to get started on the forum. https://weight-loss.fitness.com/forums/weight-loss-diary.9/

A warning, the two posts ahead of this one, by Elisabeth and Lisa may be legitimate, but they may be spam or robo posts. Generic advice from new members is always suspect. It is easy to tell that you are real from the personal nature of your post. Time will tell about Elisabeth and Lisa.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back