Need advice on how many calories i should burn each day

Milly92

Hi all
I really need some advice please as im confused over what i been reading up and its fried my brain lol. If im consuming 1200 calories a day and i work out on a excercise bike 5 days a week how many calories do i have to burn each day to lose at least 1-2lb a week. I have tried working this out for myself and i cant do it. If someone could just tell me a target number of calories to burn each day on the bike that would be great so i know were i am with my calories workout and targets to see results.
Any advice id appreciate thank you

Hi Milly and welcome. How many calories you burn in a day depends on your age, height, weight, gender, body composition, and activity level so it´s hard to say without more information. What´s the same for everyone is that in order to lose a pound a week you need to burn around 500 calories a day more than you consume, and in order to lose two pounds a week you need to burn 1000 more a day.
Here´s a link to a BMI calculator that will give you an approximate calorie range to aim for in order to lose 1-2 pounds a week. If you want to calculate your exercise separately just put in that you don´t exercise at all and add however many calories you burn on that bike to your calorie range. Please note that any calorie calculator can only give you an approximation and you will likely need to adjust a little bit based on your scale results. Still: it´s a place to start from.

Yeah i have tried to work it out but its just really confusing lol im 28 5ft 4in im female currently weigh 14st 11lb i do 30mins on the bike mon-fri for 30mins on a moderate program i do 15mins on a core equipment (wonder core) and i lift a dumbell weight which is 4kg in sets of 3 reps of 15 lifts for each arm iv been eating alot better i only have a protein shake in the morning healthy snacks throughout the day and a low calorie dinner with a high protein meat i dont understand why the weight is coming off slowly thats why id like to know how much to aim for when im on the bike as i fink the other workouts are to build muscle??

Sorry, I see I forgot to include the link! BMI calculator | Check your BMI That´s the one I meant. It suggests 1663 - 2138 kcal a day for you to lose 1-2 pounds a week assuming no exercise at all. Assuming you burn 250 kcal in 30 minutes of biking (which is reasonable if you´re used to biking, if you´re not you may prefer to start at lower intensity) that´d be 1913 - 2388 kcal/day you can eat. You´re right that lifting weights - healthy as it is - does not burn many calories in the moment.

Ok thank you so much for your help and advice i was getting stressed out lol so ill aim for 1900 and work towards burning 350 for now do you think that will be ok amd yeah i only really do the others to tone up and build strength at the same time really lol

Hey Milly, welcome! Take a look at the myfitnesspal.com app, it will track your calories and exercise and forecast weight loss (or gain) based on what you put in. Apps like that are never 100% accurate, but I think are a good place to start. When I was in weight loss mode I found it pretty accurate, the weight loss forecasts were reasonably close to what really happened. Now in maintenance I seem to need fewer calories than the app suggests, but that's no big deal. I have been doing it long enough to know that and adjust.

I also suggest you start a diary on the Weight Loss Diary page, https://weight-loss.fitness.com/forums/weight-loss-diary.9/ You can tell us more about yourself and your goals there, and track your food and exercise daily, at least for a while. It will allow people to know more about you and be better able to advise and support.

Listen to LaMa too, she is one of our best advisors and more of an expert on this than I.

Best of luck with things, you can do this!

Ok thank you so much for your help and advice i was getting stressed out lol so ill aim for 1900 and work towards burning 350 for now do you think that will be ok amd yeah i only really do the others to tone up and build strength at the same time really lol
Sounds like a good start. You can always cut more calories if you don't lose as much as predicted. Just be sure to track your calories closely at first - many people are sloppy with that and then wonder why the scale doesn't react the way they'd like.

I use My Fitness Pal, both on my phone & on my laptop. The more you use it, the easier it gets. If you want to add me, let me know :)

Back