My Story so far...

caddius

I hit my highest weight of 326 in November of 2013. I was Diagnosed with Diabetes (Type 2) in January. This is really where my story begins.

I had wanted to start exercising and working on my weight but I didn't have the push I needed. I noticed my eye sight was getting worse and that worried me, but I didn't know at that time that this was a sign of Diabetes. I just got a new prescription and moved one. Then I stated having to urinate all the time. I was drinking an enormous amount of fluid and it unfortunately wasn't all water. I was using the bathroom about once every hour or two.

Finally I asked a co-worker about what that might be telling me, as he was a fitness nut and might have an idea. He didn't but the another college over heard the conversation and just spoke up, "You probably have Diabetes." I didn't buy it right away. But then I thought, I wonder if my eye sight, which was still getting worse, is causing this, so I asked him if that was a possibility, and he confirmed. This was the first moment I realized it might be real.

I immediately began searching the Internet. Everything I read was just confirming that it was possible this is what was going on. I recently moved to the area, so I had to find a new doctor. That was a Wednesday and I was able to get in on the next Monday. I immediately quick all sugar, and even cut my carbs down to almost nothing. The next day, my constant urinating stopped. I found that amazing that it was so quick. The next Monday I went in and they gave me a blood test after fasting for 12 hours. My Blood glucose was 301 and my A1c was 10.6. That confirmed it, I was a diabetic. I about passed out, seriously, though it might have been from watching them take my blood, I can't really handle that.

The doctor put me on four medications. Metformin, Invokana, a statin and one for high blood pressure. I had all of it, the whole metabolic syndrome. He also told me to eat no more than 1800 calories a day and that I could start exercising and keep my Carbs under 50% of my intake.

Well, it looks like I found my motivation.

Why I stopped all sugar, aside from the obvious, was that I had watched a video a number of years ago called "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" on YouTube. It was a presentation by Dr. Lustig that talked about all the dangers of sugar. I new from that video that Diabetes was a result of too much sugar, not fat, in my diet. I was at 314.4 lbs that day.

Over the course of the next four months, I continued to drop weight, almost effortlessly. At first I had a hard time with the sugar, but the motivation of getting on the right side of Diabetes kept me going. I bought a Basis Watch to keep track of my health. It also monitors heart rate. My Resting Heart Rate when I got it was 89. That was really high. I also started walking and even running the the mornings, but getting 5000 steps a day in my sit down job was a challenge.

Lets just get to the point. My Resting Heart Rate is now around 62-65 on any given day. I have dropped 62.2 lbs total and my last doctors visit was last week where my Blood glucose was 99 and my A1c was 5.2. My cholesterol is normal, my blood pressure is normal. I am not running a 5K this Saturday and I know I can easily complete it. I have had a totally turn around in 4 months. I can credit a lot of things, but I give the bulk of it to the lack of sugar.

I exercise now because I want to! I have energy like never before. I no longer miss the sugar! I am actually glad I am no longer addicted to it! There is no longer desire to have it anymore. Losing weight has NEVER been so easy. So I am not allowed to give out medical advice. But I can say, you might be interested in watching the Video, "" Just to see what I am talking about.

The next thing I want to see is to be off all the medication. The only reason I am not is the doctor is afraid of taking me off it too quickly.

Back