My best shape was at 24 - I have 10 months to beat that by age 30

Hey guys,

I've been a member her for many years now, but I haven't posted in many years either. Since I was last here, I reached my physical peak as far as my body condition was concerned at age 24, then I started a business, then I started another one then as my life became crazy, fitness became a secondary issue. So I'm not in bad shape now, I still work out 4 days a week, but my diet isn't amazing, and I really haven't made much headway by way of biulding some decent muscle size in years.

My body shape thus far peaked at the age of 24 just before I travelled to Brazil for 6 months, and lost a lot of the good work I put in. I never really put in the required effort again. My new goal is to obtain the best body of my life at age 30 (10 months), which should actually be a relatively easy task since I know exactly how to make that happen.

So to my Challenge:

My first SMART and completely achievable milestone is to lose 5Kgs of body fat, and gain 2-3kgs of muscle. I'd like to accomplish that in the month of August. Considering my body is already well accustomed to gym, and I'm not in bad shape now I think that is a worthy challenge, not easy by any means, but not impossibly hard either.

My current measurements will be less than scientific, but that's okay with me. I'm doing this mostly for intrinsic satisfaction, not extrinsic reward. But my end point will be scientific, I won't stop this challenge until I can get a DEXA scan at 10% body fat. I know roughly what I need to look like to get there.

GYM ROUTINE:
For August, I'm going to commit to gym 4 days a week and Cycling 2 days a week.

I'm going to switch back to an old mass building favourite of mine - MAX OT - AST Sports Science - A workout process whereby I keep my reps in the 4-6 range, I never do a rep where I can't get up the last one to prevent over training, I keep my gym workouts under 45 minutes to prevent release of catabolic hormones, I leave 2 minutes between each set, I focus primarily on compound exercises to maximise anabolic hormone release, I only work out 2 body parts per day, I only workout each body part 1x per week. Every 8 weeks, I take a complete week off all exercise. This will help maximise my HGH and Testosterone levels, and ensure my body stays as anabolic as possible.

CYCLING
I have a bike track near me which is basically a 1.8km track which is all downhill on one side and all uphill on the other side. That completes a perfect High Intensity workout track. I'll be limiting my cardio times to 45 minutes. Even that is too long to make sure my muscles grow at the fastest rate possible, but it's a concession I make to my love of cardio workouts.

DIET
I'm going to Record my diet every day on Daily Burn to track my Calories tracker.dailyburn.com/locker_room/djdante, I can do this directly from my phone with an Android App, so there's no excuse not to record.

My diet of choice for now will be Paleolithic. I get plenty of Carbs, Protein, and Fat with my current diet choice so it should suit nicely. It also helps to curb my Sugar Cravings which are my biggest enemy. I will provide myself exactly 0 bad days this month. I want to install a new dietary behaviour pattern, so this month is all good food with no exceptions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay guys I started this challenge on monday, and today if Friday.

So, once again my trusted paleo diet has won the day, perhaps in this case a little too well.

I feel despite the fact I've been gorging myself till I was stuffed in every meal, I've lost 1.2kgs in 5 days. I started on monday at 73.6kgs, and this morning I'm 72.4kgs. That's a bit fast of a weight drop for my liking to be simultaneously building muscle, so I'm going to have to start adding in more cals.

I'm consuming roughly 1950 calories a day at the moment. The paleo diet is of course incredibly filling, but best of all the constant protein crushes my need for all things sweet, which is a huge win for me. You guys have any idea how many I should aim for?

My dietary split is dead even... 33% calories from fat, 33% calories from Protein, 33% calories from Carbohydrates.

I haven't cycled through all my workouts at gym yet (it's a 5 day cycle, but I had a day off this week).

For those of you looking to lose fat AND gain muscle, what rate are you planning to be losing weight at? How many calories do you roughly go for to body mass?

Hey dj, welcome back to the forums. I don't have any advice on your recomp calories, but I would be interested in seeing what movements you've programmed into your max-OT routine.

Hey dj, welcome back to the forums. I don't have any advice on your recomp calories, but I would be interested in seeing what movements you've programmed into your max-OT routine.

Hey, I'm just doing the first routine listed in their 'additional routines' section.

Monday - Chest & Triceps

Chest:

Flat Bench….3 sets 4-6 reps (After warm-up)

Incline Dumbbell Press….2 sets 4-6 reps

Weighted Dips....1 set 4-6 reps

Triceps:

Lying Tricep Extensions….3 sets 4-6 reps
Cable Pushdowns….2 set 4-6 reps

Tuesday - Legs

Legs:

Squats….3 sets 4-6 reps (After warm-up)

Leg Press….2 sets 4-6 reps

Lunges….1 set 4-6 reps

Stiff Leg Deadlifts….2 sets 4-6 reps

Wednesday - Back & Biceps

Back:

Pull-ups….50 reps (How ever many sets to complete)

Barbell Rows….2 sets 4-6 reps

Pull-downs (To the front)….1 set 4-6 reps
Seated Cable Rows….1 set 4-6 reps
"V"-Bar Pull-downs….1 set 4-6 reps
Biceps:

Straight Bar Curls….2 sets 4-6 reps (After warm-up)
Standing Dumbbell Curls….2 sets 4-6 reps

Thursday -Shoulders & Traps

Shoulders:

Seated Dumbbell Press....3 sets 4-6 reps (After warm-up)
Side Lateral Dumbbell Raises....3 sets 4-6 reps
Rear Lateral Dumbbell Raises....2 sets 4-6 reps
Traps:

Barbell Shrugs….2 sets 4-6 reps (After weight acclimation)

Friday - Abs, Calves, & Forearms

Abs:

Cable Crunches….2 sets 8-12 reps (After warm-up)
Weighted Leg Raises….2 sets 8-12 reps
Weighted Crunches….2 sets 8-12 reps
Calves:

Standing Calf Raises (Off Smith Machine)….2 sets (After warm-up)
Seated Calf Raises….2 sets 4-6 reps
Forearms:

Barbell Wrist Curls….2 sets 6-8 reps (After weight acclimation)
Reverse Wrist Curls….2 sets 6-8 reps

UPDATE: My Weight today is down again to 72kgs - Pushing hard to increase caloric intake, would still love feedback regarding how much I should be eating.

UPDATE: Okay so, I've been trying to up the calories and done so by incorporating some meals that are still within my diet, but much higher in fat such as if I eat a lunch with my gf, I'll have a big breakfast with bacon, sausages, eggs, baked beans, but give her the bread. That's a lot more fat in one meal that usual for me.

My weight has subsequently stabilised or gone up slightly (today I am 72.2 kgs)

Muscle appears to be increasing as my bench press is going up from 85 x6x6x5 to 90x6x6x6 - I can push more weight more times now.

I also shaved 3 minutes off of my last bike ride going from 47 minutes to 44 minutes, increasing my average speed by just over 1km/h.

UPDATE: Oh there you are muscle memory!

Okay so it has been a pretty good week. I've kept the caloric intake relatively high without having to try too hard as I had to eat out quite a lot this week so I ended up having a lot more fat in my diet. Like Half chicken with Vegies combo, or a big breakfast minus the toast.

My weight is steady at 72.2, but my strength is increasing noticeably. In fact I believe my muscle memory has kicked in now as now my tighter shirts aren't fitting so well anymore with the bottom of them being lifted up by larger chest/back/shoulders. It is of course cheating since it's easy to get back bulk you once had. That should mean that I'm also losing fat, but I can't say I feel that way.. The excess fat in my diet (and salt) is making me feel a bit bloated. I'm going to try to avoid the less clean takeaway foods if I can and replace the calories with fruit, I like feeling like my diet is completely unprocessed.

Back