Muscle strain on HIIT

I'm a beginner to HIIT, and have done 2 sessions of it. I must have pushed too hard on the first session, as I started aching badly all over my legs after it. In spite of that, I went ahead with my second session two days later. All the other aches have subsided except for strained quads. The strain is somewhere between mid-thigh and hip-level and is more pronounced in my right thigh(I'm a right-hander).

I tried doing my third session just now, but felt the strain (it's not painful though) the minute I started, so I decided to go easier today, doing 20s(instead of 30s) sprints and 60s recovery. I didn't push as hard on the sprints. After 8 intervals, I didn't feel any fatigue close to what I experienced after my first session, which according to what I read here, means that I didn't do "real" HIIT, so I decided to do a slow 10-15min jog back home. Only after that did I get that "I'm-gonna-pass-out" feeling.

Kinda at a loss about what to do now to settle this muscle strain. Should I stop HIIT completely for a week or two and go back to SS jogging? Or should I continue doing the "lower-intensity" HIIT that I did today?

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I'm a beginner to HIIT, and have done 2 sessions of it.

What exactly are you doing? 30 second sprints? How much intensity do you aim for? 80%, 90%, 100%?

I must have pushed too hard on the first session, as I started aching badly all over my legs after it.

This is a good sign! Do you perform light, low-intensity aerobics (such as a 10-15 minute walk) beforehand, and then do full-body static stretching? Both of these are a necessity before and after the session. Though since it is your first time, may not have prevented the soreness anyway.

The strain is somewhere between mid-thigh and hip-level and is more pronounced in my right thigh(I'm a right-hander).

Here are two static stretches for what I believe is the region you're talking about:

1. Sit on the ground, back perfectly straight. Spread legs into V position. Move your upper body towards your left leg, hold for 30 seconds. Repeat on opposite leg.

2. Stand 2 feet in front of a chair. Put one foot up on chair, knees bent at 90 degrees. Bring chest towards knee. Feel stretch in your buttocks region and hold for 30 seconds. Repeat other leg.

Kinda at a loss about what to do now to settle this muscle strain. Should I stop HIIT completely for a week or two and go back to SS jogging?

YES. If the soreness does not go away after you've stopped the activity, this is a sign you MUST take a break. Once the soreness has resolved to the point where you are able to perform the activity again without any pain, then start doing it again.

While you are waiting for your muscles to recover I would suggest switching to another form of cardio workout, a stationary bike is an excellent option.

Please note I am assuming you are doing sprints here. Please clarify if I am wrong.

[edit] You probably did push too hard on your first few sessions, but everyone does that. You will adapt and probably won't make the mistake again, posting about it here shows that.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for replying!

Yup the first session I went for 30 second sprints as hard and fast as I could.

I do a 5-10min low intensity jog + stretching before.

Argh I just hate having to stop now that I'm itching to go! But yup I should probably give it a break.

I would suggest jogging is unnescessary, it uses up too much energy which you want to save for your sprints. A 15 minute walk is all you need to warm up and get your body ready for the main workout.
Depends on the person. A lot of times before any crossfit workout, very HIIT if you dont know, i would do a half mile jog as a warm up. I am not in the greatest shape but getting fully warmed up and loose requires that for me. Also dynamic stretches would be more worth your time then static stretches, especially because static stretches reduce your explosive strength for a period of time after doing them.
The soreness should go away with time. I mean, when i was in high school football, we would do conditioning the first week. After the first day, sore. Second day, really sore. Third day, didnt want to move. Fourth, it starts to subside and by the next week no more sore muscles.
Proper warmup is on a fairly individual basis, but if you are mostly doing running, than jogging isnt a bad warmup, and you will get in shape faster than you think if you keep at it.

Depends on the person. A lot of times before any crossfit workout, very HIIT if you dont know, i would do a half mile jog as a warm up. I am not in the greatest shape but getting fully warmed up and loose requires that for me. Also dynamic stretches would be more worth your time then static stretches, especially because static stretches reduce your explosive strength for a period of time after doing them.
The soreness should go away with time. I mean, when i was in high school football, we would do conditioning the first week. After the first day, sore. Second day, really sore. Third day, didnt want to move. Fourth, it starts to subside and by the next week no more sore muscles.
Proper warmup is on a fairly individual basis, but if you are mostly doing running, than jogging isnt a bad warmup, and you will get in shape faster than you think if you keep at it.

Indeed you are probably right. I was forgetting that the goal here is getting in shape.

Back