Muscle memory?

In one of those infomercials, the PT mentions that muscles become accustomed to a particular exercise and stop progressing. He states that it is important to mix up the exercises to continue growth.

To my unknowing self, I am very skeptical. The vast majority of competitive cyclists do only one exercise, cycling.

Is this true and I am not getting the full benefit of my training?

Its good to change up the routine once in a while to avoid plateaus or when a plateau develops itself. Its a good idea to change it up on a progressive scale, no problems.

A change in a routine could be (for example only): say you bench press 100lbs, for 9 reps, but just can muster that 10th rep. In between sets your currently doing a 2m rest period. One method of change is after the 9th rep, and trying but failing that 10th rep, is to bar the weight, rest say 15 seconds, and pump out as many as your can (this in itself just provided a change in stimulous not normally provided). Then you would rest your 2m before the next set. This is just an example.

Cyclists may peform the same type of exercise, but the intensity and duration are normally not the same, in most cases.

A very common mistake made by beginning weight lifters is staying with their original routines for too long. They want to achieve the same gains they initially experienced in the first six weeks or so of their training and resist change because they feel they really found something that works for them.

The truth is that most decent weight training routines combined with appropriate diets and sufficient rest will produce impressive gains for a while (at first especially). But then the body becomes accustomed to these stresses and the gains may begin to slow.

If one is keeping a training journal (and they should as progression is a key factor), this essential journal can tell you many things: your progress from one work out to the next (and individual exercises), and whether your progress is occurring good and/or slowing. Its this sort of detail, than can tell you if you need to change an exercise (apply a different stimulous), and in effect tell you if you need to change things up. In addition, if one is keeping a diet journal per day along with the training journal, one can look in the diet journal per day and compare results in the training journal and in effect determine if its something in the diet or training and/or both is slowing progress (not to mention personal intensity application to the exercise and overal routine, as there are many factors that can hamper progress).

I believe its a good idea to change things up dependent on several specifications relative to the individual person. Change in fact is sometimes a good idea.

When they say progress I guess they mean growth. In that case then it is true that a muscle will stop gaining so quickly once it gets used to an exercise. It's important to change your routine occasionaly if you want to see maximum progress. You can either do what Chillen suggested and vary weight, reps, sets and rest periods or you can hit your muscles in a completely different way by changing the lifts you perform.

Cyclists obviously cycle all the time because they need to pratice their sport but they will also do a lot of work in the gym to develop muscle strength and this is probably where they introduce variation.

Cyclists obviously cycle all the time because they need to pratice their sport but they will also do a lot of work in the gym to develop muscle strength and this is probably where they introduce variation.

You would think so, but a common mantra among the competitive cyclists I've known is that a minute spent in the gym is a minute that wasn't on the bike and was therefore wasted.

Maybe they're just missing the boat.

I will start modifying my routines. I notice most of the experienced guys and trainers in the gym do not do conventional exercises (i.e., conventional to me).

Thanks

Chillen your reply is dead on! I want to emphasize the journal portion. The first month I spent weight lifting I didnt keep a journal and I spent a lot of time trying to figure out which weights to use for each different exercise. I also didnt have a goal to work towards except to reach a point of failure. But, truth be told there is a psychological affect to knowing what you did last time. Once I started to write EVERYTHING down I began to have a goal for each and every single exercise and most of the time I would either add more reps with the same weight, or add more weight so that I would do better and get stronger, help prevent a plateau.

Yes, your body adapts to the stresses you place on it. This is the Principle of Specificity. Not a cyclist but I am a trainer. For example, as your body adapts to the different demands you put on it while cycling, it becomes more efficient. So to keep progressing, you have to change your routine.

Cycle longer, faster, or do interval type work (sprints). Or some combination thereof. Bottom line, if you have cycling long, than you will have to do something different in order to keep progressing. This is the same whether its lifting or cycling.

Boomer Wellness Expert

Its true, its called the law of diminishing returns.

Back