Muay Thai

Hey guys i've been reading some past threads saying muay thai is a good way to get in shape and lose weight. I am supposed to be getting a heavy bag for Christmas that i'm going to hang in my garage. There aren't any MA gyms around my area, so is it possible to do any of this at home? I'm not looking to become an expert or get into any competitions, i just thought it would be a fun way to get fit. Could i just buy a couple videos and do it on my own or with a friend. Thanks for any suggestions

Here's my opinion, being a practicioner of karate and having no experience with muay thai.

If you want to learn martial arts, you need to find a teacher. You can learn how to do the techniques from a book, but its hard to learn them correctly. I wouldn't want to learn martial arts from a book, video, internet and have to try to use it in a fighting situation.

Just learn kickboxing. Sure, get a heavy bag, but you have to learn how to punch and kick first. Look into muay thai later, when you can get a compotent instructor.

LeiYunFat said:
Just learn kickboxing. Sure, get a heavy bag, but you have to learn how to punch and kick first. Look into muay thai later, when you can get a compotent instructor.

thats pretty good advice there.

Back