Motivating Clients?

I am working on my certification so right now all my 'clients' are volunteer guinea pigs. I have a question on motivation. I am doing well with explaining the facts and they seem very excited to get their fitness programs but they never want to actually do the program. They tell me it is what they want so it's not like I am not meeting their needs. They just don't feel they have the time to workout. I explain to them that even a very short workout is better than nothing but it doesn't work. I am getting frustrated cuz they keep complaining about their weight but don't use the tools I giving them to work on it. When it is time for a session I am invited to do other things and if I say I'd rather do the workout first or ask them to workout with me cuz I need it, etc I end up working out alone. Maybe this is just cuz my 'clients' are friends/family and regular paying clients will be more receptive but I'd appreciate any advice/feedback on this situation. Thanks!

difficult question.

Personally I feel that they dont really want to acheive their goals if they cant be bothered to stick to a plan or do some exercise. It takes dedication. Maybe they think that a professional is like a magic pill that can do th work for them and give them the resukts they want.

Its difficult when ou have paying clients behaving in this way as you are expected to deal with it and give them motivation they should already have.

i made a similar post mrs riley and there was a mixed response. i wanted someone to give me advice about how to motivate me. some people were really helpfull and said do this try this and the other, and some people said pull ya g*d D*** finger out and just get on with it........i am a fairly nice guy and i thought those people were really rude and unhelpfull...........thats where it got strange.........although the nice ones helped it was the grumpy s*ds that actully made me wanna turn around and say "hey kiss my A*** i'm gonna show you i can do it". Anyway sorry to rant but my point is (and something i learned in psycology) some people motivate to and some move away eg........some smoker that quit do it to get healthy some do it not to get cancer. I guess you just gotta find out what works for each individual. hope that helps

... i'd have to disagree with that. I have so many friends that join the gym (especially around January) and, as most gyms, commit for a year ... but, after about 6 weeks, their done. You'd think that $$ would play a much higher role, but I find that it only helps some people.

Back