Metabolic Adaption

Trusylver

Sport and Exercise Coach
Staff member
As I mentioned in my diary, I said I would post and discuss this excellent article, aimed at strength athletes and bodybuilders, but is super relevent for all those looking to loose fat and then maintain a stable weight.

The Metabolic Adaptation Manual: Problems, Solutions, & Life After Dieting

The article is science heavy and has been written by an experienced and respected sports scientist pulling together a lot if different studies and covers many of the issues and methods faced by forum members.

Part 1. The Problem: Metabolic Adaptation To Weight Loss

This section covers the why and how or body adapts to restricted calories including Mitochondrial Efficiency, adaptive thermogenesis and hormone responses.

Part 2. The Solutions to Metabolic Adaptation

This section looks at ways to mitigate some of the problems of the hormone responses including minimising drops in leptin levels. Looking at re-feeds, meal timing and rate of weight loss.

Balancing Macros To Maintain Muscle and Performance, this is often a problem for many members here, this section takes a look at the importance of meeting your protein and fat requirements. Not meeting these targets is harming your weight loss efforts.

Carbohydrate restriction is also looked at but lacks including studies on longer term carb restriction and fat adapted individuals.

Managing Cardio For Successful Weight Loss

This section looks at frequency, intensity, over training and the effect on muscle interference

"excessive cardio has great potential to exacerbate some of the unfavorable effects observed with metabolic adaptation, especially those linked to fatigue and hormone fluctuations."

Other factors

Other factors looked at include sleep, stress, and supplements.

Life After Weight Loss

Looking at reasons why we get weight rebound and Body Fat Overshooting (the YoYo effect)

Great knowledge. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Just started reading this last night, but have a long way to go. Looks pretty interesting so far. How did you come across it?

The scientist who wrote it is a powerlifter/bodybuilder who has been posting science based strength articles for a long time, I have a subscription to his newsletter (free) but have not subscribed to his monthly research review where he and others look at and analyze the latest strength and fitness studies being released.

Reactions: M2M
Wow, Tru - thanks for this article! I'm making my way through slowly - very slowly! - noting the questions I have along the way, but am already beginning to get something more of a grasp on the basics of nutrition than I had before.

Hey, I just came across this, it really is a great article. I have it book marked on my computer and will read it again.

Back