Mental Health

Snezy

I really feel like this forum needs a section for mental health. Changing your body significantly through weight loss can be really hard for a person to go through mentally. We should offer some support this way as well.

I really feel like this forum needs a section for mental health. Changing your body significantly through weight loss can be really hard for a person to go through mentally. We should offer some support this way as well.

Are you talking about specific conditions or just a person's mental health in general? Because, I think the forum as a whole is exactly what people need to help ease their mental state when they struggle with weight loss. Support - that's what people get here, in each and every section/subsection. I don't think adding a separate section for that is going to make a difference.

I understand what you're saying and I agree support is a major part of coping but it's not the only. If someone is struggling with their self esteem or self image, where do they look? There is no place for someone to post a document on mental health specifically. I feel like a subsection for mental health documents or advice would be a great help to anyone looking for anything more than just support.

The reason I said this was because I was looking for something similar. Somewhere where I could look for documents on dealing with self image problems, minor cases of depression or just other's experiences with psychological problems in relation to self image. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything and that's why I suggested the forum add something to that extent.

the problem as I see it is that we dont' have anyone in a psychological field, or even remotely close, that could help people in a mental health thread. I think unless there is someone with any kind of degree or specific knowledge of mental health there to guide or direct the members of the forum, it'll just be random, unexperianced members giving advice or what have you. I don't see how any real help could come from that.

I agree with you Korrie, perhaps it's not a great idea. But I feel like there should be at least something to point people with these type of troubles in the right direction. We can't neglect the mind!

You could try starting a thread in the weight loss with health conditions section... If it goes well, we could eventually create a sub-forum. The main issues are that it may be targeted by spammers or people may start diagnosing or handing out medical advice.

What does everyone think about that?

we could always try it out...but again, i just feel like there should be some kind of...direction or questions to discuss, some kind of effort to help people work through their issues instead of just chit chatting randomly??

we could always try it out...but again, i just feel like there should be some kind of...direction or questions to discuss, some kind of effort to help people work through their issues instead of just chit chatting randomly??

I definitely agree with that... I think it might be difficult to give it good direction. Just wanted to see what everyone thought :)

I understand what you're saying and I agree support is a major part of coping but it's not the only. If someone is struggling with their self esteem or self image, where do they look? There is no place for someone to post a document on mental health specifically. I feel like a subsection for mental health documents or advice would be a great help to anyone looking for anything more than just support.

The reason I said this was because I was looking for something similar. Somewhere where I could look for documents on dealing with self image problems, minor cases of depression or just other's experiences with psychological problems in relation to self image. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything and that's why I suggested the forum add something to that extent.

Ahh, gotcha. Well, as someone who has dealt with self esteem and confidence issues myself, I can tell you this...

Nothing you read is going to fix things.

Sure, you might find some momentary inspiration by reading something that someone has written, but your self esteem and confidence issues are going to overpower that brief moment of inspiring promise and destroy - very quickly too.

Personally, when I would read something inspiring or motivational, I would aaaaalways be very skeptical of who this person was and why they wrote what they did. And, that would kill any positive that came along with their words. I mean, why should I believe in Joe Blow's article in a magazine or Dr. Nobody's advice on a website? How do I know that they actually know what they're talking about? How do I know that the person who wrote what I am reading actually has self esteem issues themself? And conquered them? I don't know. And, my skepticism always made it very hard for me to find hope or inspiration in the words of others.

...except for when it comes to the journals on this forum.

You want to know how to handle your self esteem, confidence issues and depression? Read through some of the journals on this website and you will find more promise than you could ever believe. The words you read are from people who have actually stared obesity, low self esteem, anxiety, fear, discomfort and depression right in the face and beaten it down. That's what inspires me. Maybe it'll inspire you too.

Ahh, gotcha. Well, as someone who has dealt with self esteem and confidence issues myself, I can tell you this...

Nothing you read is going to fix things.

Sure, you might find some momentary inspiration by reading something that someone has written, but your self esteem and confidence issues are going to overpower that brief moment of inspiring promise and destroy - very quickly too.

Personally, when I would read something inspiring or motivational, I would aaaaalways be very skeptical of who this person was and why they wrote what they did. And, that would kill any positive that came along with their words. I mean, why should I believe in Joe Blow's article in a magazine or Dr. Nobody's advice on a website? How do I know that they actually know what they're talking about? How do I know that the person who wrote what I am reading actually has self esteem issues themself? And conquered them? I don't know. And, my skepticism always made it very hard for me to find hope or inspiration in the words of others.

...except for when it comes to the journals on this forum.

You want to know how to handle your self esteem, confidence issues and depression? Read through some of the journals on this website and you will find more promise than you could ever believe. The words you read are from people who have actually stared obesity, low self esteem, anxiety, fear, discomfort and depression right in the face and beaten it down. That's what inspires me. Maybe it'll inspire you too.

Not everyone deals with their problems in the same way. I have read articles on depression and some of the diaries on this forum and both have helped me in different ways.

This thread is not about dealing with my issues, it's about giving feedback and improving the forum.

I agree with the mods. The whole forum is meant to help with every aspect of weight loss and having one category wouldn't do it justice, since someone battling with weight loss through one type of diet would differ from another and would fit better under those particular forums/threads.

As PLB mentioned, starting a thread under one of the forums would be a good idea. If it gets and stays busy, I would suggest making it into a sticky to keep it in the forefront.

So I guess thats up to you Snezy, if you wanna go the the weight loss w/ health conditions part of the forum, start a thread about Mental Health and we'll see where it goes!

I need this. This is the only place I feel I can go. It is unconditionally positive.

I write journal entries, I would like to, share it. I just can't stand it anymore. alot is bothering me.

I read in my psychology book, that, people who are understanding, good listeners (perhaps related to behavior therapy type theory, "person orienated therapy." Letting the other person do the talking, restating what or she said, understanding, listening, and providng little feedback, but gentle guidance. This is why I feel this forum would be perfect for that. I've only met positive people on these forums. There was a study done in my book that I read, about trained mental health professionals, who were trained to do their job, and caring, understanding layman, who were good listeners (Either college students, or had other jobs.) and, surprisingly, the result was the same. Even with the untrained individual. I believe this forum possesses many of those qualities.

I feel people here would be better at behavioral therapy theories, more so than cognitive psychology. Rather than changing one's thoughts to an event to change one's depression (Its not the event itself that causes it, its the reaction to it.) one tries to correct the behavior. I am not a therapist, I do not study psychology but I read about it for fun. I think just by active listening to the other preson, and understanding, it can help someone out A LOT.

Back