Making stupid choices

I love playing basketball, and it burns a lot of calories as well, especially when you play 1vs1........not anymore! I did my ankle two days ago; we both went for the rebound and I landed on his foot.

I suffered a second degree ankle sprain, and it's going to set me back big time. I could have protected myself by not playing basketball you know. People might argue that, although it was an unfortunate event, you should enjoy playing sports that you like.

In my case, running is what I love the most, and it's my number 1 activity, so I really find it hard when something like this happens. Everybody knows that there is a high probability for ankle sprains in basketball; I should have chosen something else.

Anyway, I feel very frustrated, and I am going to lose a lot of money because of this (I have clients that I train and running circuits are a big part of it). I will think it twice before I play basketball again, that’s for sure.

Anyone with similar experiences?

Wait...why do you have to run the circuits?

I'm assuming you're alternating ice and heat and taking NSAIDs? Does wrapping it tight when you're trying to be active help at all?

I remember last year I was playing volleyball with my high school girls volleyball team. I went up to spike the ball, and when I came down, I rolled my ankle. That was Weds night.

Friday night I was competing in the OKC strongman competition. I had it wrapped almost tight enough to cut off the circulation for the competition. Gawd it was ugly when teh competition was over.

And then I went to compete in the Highland Games in Tulsa on Sunday. I was miserable for weeks after due to a slow-healing sprain and shin splints.

It's what i do, it's good motivation for them and good training for me, it's my trademark :D. How long did it take you to recover? Yes, everything is going well, i can walk on it and i try to keep it active as much as possible, fast enough but not overstretching it.

It's what i do, it's good motivation for them and good training for me, it's my trademark :D. How long did it take you to recover? Yes, everything is going well, i can walk on it and i try to keep it active as much as possible, fast enough but not overstretching it.

Well, the shin splints lasted a long time and it was the only time I had experienced something as painfully limiting as shin splints...you know those kind of shin splints where you cry when you walk.

It took a couple of weeks before my ankle stopped really hurting. I started using a wobble board and bosu ball to do some instability training and that really helped to strengthen up teh ankles. There's some literature out there where I got this from that states that unstable training surfaces really help to cut down on the chances for sprained ankles.

I noticed a significant decrease in the number of sprained ankles on teh basketball and volleyball team when I started incorporating unstable surface training.

But yeah...a couple of weeks and I kept it wrapped for a couple of extra weeks when I was doing any throwing, jumping, or cutting work.

I've never tried it but i'm gonna give it a go, i need to recover quickly from this one cause it's really a pain. Thanks evolution, i appreciate ur tips.

Stress fractures are really frustrating, i know what you mean :(. Take care of it, rest cause it's a very tricky injury, and thanks.

well im a gymnast and also love running. a year and a half ago i had a 3rd degree sprain which mean, everything came off the bone. I was forced to train on this injury for 12 months. its was the worst year of my life. 8 weeks ago i had it reconstructed and now have had a reaction to the surgery and have been given another 12 months for recovery. they think i will maybe never go back to my impact sports. jsut make sure u take care of it now for better in the long run. i cannot stress that enough. its the worst thing ive ever experienced. but on a good note, im a very positive person and i eat very well, my medical professional team have congratualted me on this, they said if i didnt have my positive mental state or great health, i'd not be as good as i am. yeh it sucks, but just remember its not forever, and get it right... get it right and stable now. dont go back to soon.

Back