Maintenance Club

Hey everyone, specifically Margaret!

I've still maintained my weight since losing it in July 2008, although I am not at my all time low as 66kg/67kg (currently 69kg/70kg), I am still satisfied with the number. I try to jog at least 3-4 times a week (I'm far more lethargic in the winter) and eat relatively healthy. I'm not as strict as I was in my food habits as I was when I was losing weight, but being only 20 and exercising fairly regularly makes my metabolism pretty fast.

Unfortunately I haven't gained any body muscle and still have excess body fat (which I intend to post a topic about shortly), and wish to do so during the upcoming Summer and before my 21st birthday (January 23rd).

Peace to you all,
Shannon

Welcome, Shannon!

Congrats to you for maintaining your weight over a year! That is awesome! I have been maintaining a few months now. Like you, I am not as strict with my diet at this point. But, I am pretty religious about my workouts, which helps immensily! I wish I could say I was young like you...but at age 50, my metabolism needs all the help it can get! I know I have raised it with the exercise and lifting, so that is good!

How much weight did you lose in total? Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Di

Hi Di,
I lost about 26kg/57lb in total. Kept a diary here during the first half of 2008, got lots of help from people such as Margaret! Nice to meet you.

Shannon

EDIT: Just posted a thread about my current predicament! It would be extremely logical to start a second diary, as that was such an essential part of my motivation the first time around.

Last edited:
Shannon - it is fantastic to see you back and still so trim!!!

You have done so well to have maintained it well too.

If I know you - you will be still being pretty good with the food and exercise - even if not quite as strict as you once were.

By the way - I am sure that you remember Amy - one of your mentors from the old days.... She just had a little girl on the 13th - Lizzie (Avery Elizabeth) born after a gruelling 24 hour labour!

I would be checking out some of those exercise sticky threads as a recap and am positive that people like Steve will be more than happy to help you to become more muscular. I am sure that if you give it the effort that you put into your weight loss campaign - success is an absolute certainty.

How is your university course going? Any nice young ladies that you should be telling one of your favourite forum aunties about...???

Shannon - it is fantastic to see you back and still so trim!!!

You have done so well to have maintained it well too.

Thank you so much, Margaret! I'm still proud of myself to remain thin, I mean, I know I need to commence Part II (that is how I will dub it from henceforth) of my transformation, but I'm still proud.

If I know you - you will be still being pretty good with the food and exercise - even if not quite as strict as you once were.

I would say pretty good is the correct term; I'm not great or as disciplined, but I am not carefree, either.

By the way - I am sure that you remember Amy - one of your mentors from the old days.... She just had a little girl on the 13th - Lizzie (Avery Elizabeth) born after a gruelling 24 hour labour!

That's awesome news, congratulations to Amy on that one! How sweet!

I would be checking out some of those exercise sticky threads as a recap and am positive that people like Steve will be more than happy to help you to become more muscular. I am sure that if you give it the effort that you put into your weight loss campaign - success is an absolute certainty.

Thank you, I know I can do it, and I know I will do it. I think I might return here regularly once again. :) I know there's a muscle training forum on fitness.com, but I feel more comfortable here, you know? Home is where the heart is. :)

How is your university course going? Any nice young ladies that you should be telling one of your favourite forum aunties about...???

It's going pretty well, after this semester I have another semester to go. And then, hopefully, I can get to do honours. "Forum aunties"?! Fantastic terminology, I must say. There isn't really any young ladies concurrently, guess the "skinny fat" problem has sort've ruined my confidence. I mean, I've had confidence come and go when it comes to the ladies since the weight loss. I've been the heart breaker a couple of times, something I've only experienced previously on the receiving end. It fluctuates; sometimes I have many girls interested in me currently. I guess it also depends on my confidence and the way I feel about myself, and how far I go out there. But yeah, sorry to ramble on about that!

So great to hear from you again, and you're as helpful as ever! :)

Last edited:
Good morning fellow maintainers!

I am feeling bummed today...my throat began hurting again last night, and I woke up with a very stuffy nose and throat. I think my son and I are just passing this bug back and forth! ARRGH! This has been going on for two weeks and I am sick and tired of feeling sick and tired...

It is Senior recognition day for my son at cross country this AM. It is damp and chilly and we have to stand outside and be recognized early this morning. What fun! Seriously, though...I am so proud of him and his accomplishments. He has run since he was 12 years old...of course he is skinny as a beanpole! He will not be competing today, due to still recovering from his illness. Coach will use him to time the races and that sort of thing.

Enjoy the weekend, all!
Di

Good morning fellow maintainers,
Congrat's to you & your son Di & I've gone out in sympathy it seems! I, too woke up yesterday with a sore throat, head-ache & no energy. I dosed myself up last night with a "killer' hot lemon drink & feel marginally better this morning but colds do make you feel miserable. I was sensible yesterday & didn't do my weights or beat myself up about it. I'll tackle them today though & now have an extra 60 mins exercise to make up in the next 6 days. I can do it.
Re: foods I eat or don't on maintenance. Like Margaret I also steer clear of bread, rice & pasta(occasional minimal portions only) as I put weight on instantly when I have them & I don't enjoy them any more. I eat crackers instead when I need them ie eggs on crackers-a fine art but do-able!
Welcome Shannon. You're looking very fit & slim. You're young enough for your skin to retract with regular exercise, like walking. If you do not have much(or any) excess fat then muscle will show soon if you are even doing some light weights. It takes a while for our brains to catch up with our bodies when we lose weight. Take it from another forum auntie. I think you should give yourself lots of credit for what you have achieved. We all have to learn to love ourselves before we are able to love others properly & that is the biggest hurdle. Cheers, Cate (happy to also be a forum auntie- love it!)
Hope everyone is well & enjoying life in maintenance land. We know it's not easy & you have to work hard at it. So what? It's so much better than the alternative.
Cheers for now, Cate

I weighed in at 115.4 again this morning. Still maintaining on the low end, so no complaints about that!

Cate...so sorry you have caught the nasty bug as well! Hope it leaves quickly for you...mine has invaded my body for life, it seems!! It's been two weeks and it shows no sign of disappearing. It creeps away and little, and then, BAM, it's back again!

Running girl...congrats on getting to maintenance!:party: Hope you come here often...we can support each other on our successes and failures at keeping within our goal targets. What is your maintenance weight?

I hope all of you are having a relaxing and enjoyable weekend!
Di

My goodness - doesnt time fly. It has been a few days since I posted here.

RunningGirl - congratulations on hitting maintenance. :party: Welcome to the club. Sorry to hear that you are still troubled by injury. Exercise is really important in maintenance so using that gym should be a good move. A few free sessions at other gyms to learn about the equipment sounds like a very good idea. I was just reading that 90% of successful maintainers exercise for at least 1 hour every day. I suspect that quite a few of us are very wary of bread, rice, pasta, sodium. I certainly stay clear of all of them! With salad you can tend to have enormous quantities of a lot of things for very few calories - the dressings tend to be the part where we have to be a bit more careful...

Cate - Sorry to hear that you have caught the nasty bug that is going around. I hope that your health improves soon. I read your food and thought - I am not sure that I trust myself with crackers. I havent had any in a very long time.... It is great that you have decided to be another auntie for Shannon. He actually did a tremendous job in lowering his weight - he was only 18 when he joined the forum... He did a sterling job of rescuing his health because he was astute enough to recognise that far too many of his relatives were getting very serious heart problems. He was firm throughout with both his nutrition and exercise which was highly impressive and unusual in one so young. No wonder he is getting attention from the young ladies....

Di - I am so sorry to hear that the illness has returned. Such things happen far to often in families. Germs can hang around for ever (or it seems that way). I am sure that the pride in your son's success kept you warm at the weekend though. It is great that he is doing so well at a healthy pursuit - to be young, slim and fit is a wonderful combination. Speaking of which - it is fantastic that you are staying so slim despite the illness. You are holding firm weight-wise - which is a brilliant achievement. Well done! That takes effort when you are ill. :party:

Shannon - I was pleased to see some of the exercise experts helping you out in your other thread. I know that a number of people like Steve and Kara know more than me about things like that. I just do my walking, aerobics, dancing etc and go along to my various keep fit lessons and do what the teacher tells me to do... Having said that - at 50 years of age I am not actually planning on wearing a bikini again. Follow their advice and I am sure that you will see some big changes. Having said that - I am inclined to think that we are inclined to be too critical of ourselves - having spent some time thinking negatively about our bodies. A little confidence can go a long way. We may not be perfect - but we are likely to be no worse than the vast majority of healthy looking people that you see in the street. The world is not full of people with rippling muscles - people like that are actually in the minority. You look great to me - no wonder you have been breaking a few hearts since we last chatted...

My news:
I weighed in on Tuesday hitting my goal weight exactly 9st0.0 i.e. 126.0 pounds. Today (Wednesday) has seen me at the hospital for the photos to be taken to accompany my application for funding for the envelope reduction and mastopexy that the consultant surgeon says that I clearly need. Tomorrow (Thursday) will see us travel to Newcastle - so the chances are that I will not get all my water drunk (I always struggle with that when I go on a long journey - something about Rod hating for us to have too many toilet breaks en route)... I have only just got my weight back down from the gain last time we went there for a weekend.... We shall have to wait and see how this time pans out for my weight...

Other than that I have decided to join in on the National Weight Control Registry study. I have checked and am eligible and am awaiting the arrival of the forms...

Hello fellow maintainers!

How is everyone doing?
I had a VERY stressful day at school. It seems I have more and more responsibilities, but, or course, no more pay, or even respect. I really don't like the direction education is going in. I would up and quit if I weren't working basically for my health insurance coverage and that for my family. I even told my principal that I have started looking in the help wanted ads...at this point in my life, I don't really care if I have my summers off, and I really would like a job that is less stressful. So, I will keep looking and in the meantime, just hang in there! I love the kids and what I do...it's just they want me to do my job and everyone elses too!

At least I came home and put in an hour on the treadmill! I would much rather handle my stress this way than eating everything in sight, which is what I used to do!
Since the weather has gotten pretty crappy here lately, it's been the treadmill all week for me. I really hope that maybe I can bundle up this weekend and get outside for a walk!! My son is running tomorrow AM...it is regionals for cross country. THe team has to do well in order to make it to sectionals next weekend. We do have a small advantage...the regionals are on our home course, so maybe that will push the odds a little in his team's favor!
Well, just wanted to check in after the crazy day I had...sorry to vent so much! I do hope that all of you are having a calm week and keeping within your goals. Take care!
Di

Di - I am so sorry to hear that school is so stressful for you. It is sad when there are aspects of your work that you love and other aspects that you loathe. If you are fortunate and can leave behind the stress and aspects that you loathe you will probably end up missing the other bits...

I am sure that you will enjoy cheering on your son. Parental pride is a wonderful thing.

You mention doing an hour on the treadmill. I was fascinated to learn in the maintenance study that I am joining that 90% of successful maintainers exercise for at least an hour every day. When statistics like that come out of a study of 5000 people - it encourages us that we really should try to get that hour in... I do anyway - but any thoughts of cutting it down below that have been totally abandoned by this maintainer...

Di - I am so sorry to hear that school is so stressful for you. It is sad when there are aspects of your work that you love and other aspects that you loathe. If you are fortunate and can leave behind the stress and aspects that you loathe you will probably end up missing the other bits...

I am sure that you will enjoy cheering on your son. Parental pride is a wonderful thing.

You mention doing an hour on the treadmill. I was fascinated to learn in the maintenance study that I am joining that 90% of successful maintainers exercise for at least an hour every day. When statistics like that come out of a study of 5000 people - it encourages us that we really should try to get that hour in... I do anyway - but any thoughts of cutting it down below that have been totally abandoned by this maintainer...

Margaret,
That is quite an interesting statistic...I do usually put an hour in most days, unless I am crunched for time. I figure any time put in for exercise is better than none. Even on those days, I really push to get in at least 45 minutes. I do take an occasional "day off", but try to stay pretty active on those days as well!
How did you hear about this "maintnenance study"? So, you are one of the 5000? How did you get chosen for this? Sorry for so many questions...it just sounds fascinating!
Good to hear from you!
Di

Margaret,
That is quite an interesting statistic...I do usually put an hour in most days, unless I am crunched for time. I figure any time put in for exercise is better than none. Even on those days, I really push to get in at least 45 minutes. I do take an occasional "day off", but try to stay pretty active on those days as well!
How did you hear about this "maintnenance study"? So, you are one of the 5000? How did you get chosen for this? Sorry for so many questions...it just sounds fascinating!
Good to hear from you!
Di

Here is an interesting thread on the subject. I am sure that you will find it very informative.

Hi fellow maintainers. That's very interesting Margaret re the maintainers getting 60 mins of daily exercise. That's the figure I have aimed at since starting my exercise program in July & I reached it as a daily average about 3 weeks ago. I don't count incidental exercise like housework.
I am really excited today as I decided to participate in a breast cancer walk in our local town & actually did so this morning. I have planned on doing many things but then chicken out thinking I will embarrass myself. It was set down near the river & a lap around the river & over 2 bridges was 2.5km. About 120 women participated, mostly dressed in pink, & many people did one lap only, many did 2 laps, some did 3 laps & I think I was the only one to do 4! I had walked the first one quite fast, then latched onto a youngish, fit-looking group & kept pace with them for 2 more laps. Then I found out that I had done 7.5kms so thought "Why not do another & walk 10kms for probably the first time in my life?"
I feel really proud that I am able to do it & did! I have come a long way in the last 3 years & it's all good. Life is great! Cheers, cate

Hi fellow maintainers. That's very interesting Margaret re the maintainers getting 60 mins of daily exercise. That's the figure I have aimed at since starting my exercise program in July & I reached it as a daily average about 3 weeks ago. I don't count incidental exercise like housework.
I am really excited today as I decided to participate in a breast cancer walk in our local town & actually did so this morning. I have planned on doing many things but then chicken out thinking I will embarrass myself. It was set down near the river & a lap around the river & over 2 bridges was 2.5km. About 120 women participated, mostly dressed in pink, & many people did one lap only, many did 2 laps, some did 3 laps & I think I was the only one to do 4! I had walked the first one quite fast, then latched onto a youngish, fit-looking group & kept pace with them for 2 more laps. Then I found out that I had done 7.5kms so thought "Why not do another & walk 10kms for probably the first time in my life?"
I feel really proud that I am able to do it & did! I have come a long way in the last 3 years & it's all good. Life is great! Cheers, cate

WOW! :party: Well done Cate.
It is brilliant that you have done that walk - and in such a good cause too. You have every right to feel really proud of yourself. It is a fantastic feeling when we break any of our own records.

Thank you very much Margaret. I don't think praise is my motivator these days(I hope not anyway!) but it sure is nice when someone acknowledges an accomplishment. I typed it into my diary & so far have had no comment. I sure am stiff today though.I had a good soaking bubble bath yesterday afternoon in 'lectric soda & a good night's sleep but ouch. I'll work it out today either with another walk or bike/weights. I thought you would appreciate the thought of feeling like you have come such a long way as I know you have too. I think it's wonderful & we should all be proud of ourselves. I think exercise is the key to not going back along that path. It has done wonders for my mood as well. Not one down day since early July when I started. Cheers, cate

Cate,
A 10K walk! That is awesome, girl! Over 6 miles...you should be proud! And, like you say, what a great mood elevator! Exercise is such a natural high, isn't it??!! It is staggering to think of how much we have all accomplished...and continue to accomplish.

My son's cross country team placed 4th today...which means they move on to sectionals next weekend! I am so proud of my son. Even though he is still not 100% healthy by any means, he got out there and gave it his all on that course today! He continues to battle health issues, and he has lost weight. But, you couldn't find a more determined young man. I got a little teary and sentimental...knowing it was his last race on the home course after 6 years of cross country. It has been an emotional day.:cry:

The sun came out and it got up to around 60 degrees, so I actually took a walk outside...my chocolate lab was thrilled! We had not been on a walk together for almost a week. Even though he is 11 years old, he is still a very active dog. Hopefully, it keeps him healthy and around for many more years.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, everyone!
Di

Hi Di & thanks for your encouragement. I know the feeling with your son. I felt like that with both our boys when they were in their 6th year of high school. I didn't suffer from empty nest syndrome but you are well aware that life's real challenges lie ahead of them. I love Labradors. They are such loving, faithful dogs. I like having this maintenance thread to visit. Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend, xoxo Cate

Hey everyone!
Ideally I'm looking to loose two more pounds but want to maintain between 115-118. I hope this thread will help :) Haven't managed to read through it properly yet but will do today!

Hi Kirsty,
Welcome to maintenance! Your goal weight and my are pretty similar. I initially picked a range of 118-122, but my weight has pretty well settled in the 115 area. Well, that is up a little today....116.2, but that's ok. I know that I have been eating more of things that are not that good for me, but my exercise has been on track. I just need to cut back a little on the eating and I will be fine.

Good luck on losing those last two pounds...seems like those last few can sometimes be that hardest. But, I know you can do it! Looking forward to hearing more from you! Good luck!

Di

Back