Maintenance Club

Hi dilynnlew,
When a person recognizes they have a problem they are well on the road to solving it. After maintaining a goal for a while you will know you can maintain it and you will not be so concerned about it. :hug2:

Cate - it is great to hear that your waist is shrinking. Exercise can really help us out - and help you enjoy the occasional glass of wine treat.

When you have been large it can be hard to remember that the scale is just one of many useful measures. The real test is how our clothes fit. That is what our friends and neighbours see. The number on the scales is just something that we (plus our doctors) look at to try and quantify the shape which is really the clothes thing more than anything.

It is great that you are comfortable with the way things are.

Di - I can well understand how the recent rise would be concerning for you. You had been maintaining the bottom of your increased zone so consistently.

The fear is irrational when we know that we have been good - but I also hate it when I float up. 3-4 pounds increase would certainly cause me to panic a bit too. Since I rarely get into the bottom half of my zone - it is enough to take me out of my zone... Many of us still get hit with water weight. I certainly do. I try to watch my sodium - but still get hit by TOM. Weight of food certainly has an impact too.

It is great that the weight has come down again. I would be relieved too if I was in your shoes.

vj - many of us wish that that time would come. The fear is something that we have difficulty escaping.

I too, wish that day would come when I no longer fear the weight coming back on! I think one reason I have such fear is that I know the odds are against us statistically...most people DO put their weight back on, plus some! Just read some of the posts on this forum and you realize how true this is...

I too, wish that day would come when I no longer fear the weight coming back on! I think one reason I have such fear is that I know the odds are against us statistically...most people DO put their weight back on, plus some! Just read some of the posts on this forum and you realize how true this is...

Most of us know people that have. Some of them dont come back here and I only hear from them on FB. There are some sad stories out there.

Yes, most people that lose weight do put it back on. That makes everyone who has reached their goal and continues to maintain it is special. You are all special! There is not much of a difference between fear, concern, and awareness. We all need to be aware that we will never be able to stop thinking about maintaining our goal. If we do we will fail.

It has been several months since I have reached the bottom of my maintenance range. Hurrah, I reached my personal goal of 188 pounds this morning. This forum has helped me stay focused on reaching my goal. Thank you all.

What is your governing system? If you are on a weight maintenance program what weight range do you operate in and how do you react to where you are on that range?

My weight range has three scale readings. Low weight is 188 pound when I get up in the morning before I get dressed. I work to not go below this weight. The top range desired in the morning is 190 pounds. If I am over 190 pound I begin to restrict some of my intake of higher calorie items such as cookies and ice-cream. If my weight continues to go up I simply watch my intake closer and exercise more. My WW weigh in goal is 196 pounds fully dressed. I have promised my self if I go 2 pounds over this I will start recording my entire intake once again. I have never had to do that. This seems to be a self governing system that works for me and lowers or raises my efforts or concerns depending on each morning’s weigh in.

What system works for you?

Last edited:
I tend to want my weight to be as near to my goal weight of 126 pounds as possible. If my weight has gone one pound under it - I have changed things about - altering my exercise or food.

I therefore have forced myself into the situation of spending time in the upper half of my zone. I am comfortable enough with drifting up to 129 pounds. I prefer to be under 129 pounds as that is the upper limit of my Slimming World zone. I can go above that and still be inside my Weight Watchers zone. If I find myself at 129 - I start to monitor things more closely - but I am always pretty careful with things. I always exercise and I always eat cleanly - I just do not count how many apples I have or how many spoons of boiled veg - I do not normally measure how big a serving of lean meat etc.

I regularly go through a monitoring phase (using ) and think of it as the way that people tune their car engine to ensure that everything is going well.

Naturally - the fact that I suffer terribly from water retention does not help so I have to keep an eye on sodium, water consumption and the calendar. Sometimes my weight gains can and should be anticipated and no real measures are justified other than possibly increasing my water consumption for a while... My weight is currently on the high side (while still in zone) so I am having an extra half litre of water every day.

Hi Omega,
Thanks for the information. It looks like you have a green zone of 3 pounds. I think that is very reasonable if one is weighing consistently at the same time of day each day. I seem to have about a 3 pound gain and lose each 24 hours.

I got all the paper work from the Miriam Hospital on their long term weight loss study today. Did you sign up for it?

Vern - Yes - I signed up for it too.

If anyone found challenges useful - but disappointed to find that most that run here just give weight loss points and not weight control points for maintainers - you may be interested to know that there are a number of challenges on ANOTHER DIET FORUM that do just that. There are new challenges kicking off on 1st December (although people can join at any time - you maximise your points if you are in at the start). I think that I am entered into five challenges over there!!!!! It is just like when I was losing my weight!!!! Great fun! I guess that you could say that entering challenges is a key part of my maintenance strategy too then. They certainly helped to keep me focussed on the way down.

Last edited:
I gained weight so am not currently in maintenance - but this club was useful when I was.

I will lose my surplus weight and be back in maintenance as soon as I can.

I cannot wait to qualify to rejoin my old club...

My old club...... May be useful for someone else

Back