Losing Weight as a vegetarian

enve0322

Recently, I've decided to make the necessary changes in my life to lose the weight I've wanted to for so many years. My exercise routine consists of an hour at the gym (mostly cardio) everyday and a few body sculpting classes during the week. I think that is good, but please tell me if I need to make a change. The thing I'm most worried about is my diet. I know in order to lose weight, high protein low carb diets are the best but I'm a vegetarian so it's hard to have a low carb diet. Below is what a typical day for me is food wise, of course it switches up a little bit, but this is about what I've been eating. Please give me your feedback!

Breakfast: Cottage Cheese and Apple
Snack: Carrots and Low Fat Ranch
Lunch: Greek Tofu Salad
Dinner: Vegetable Soup
Snack: 100 cal popcorn

AI don't eat a lot of meat and cook with a lot of quorn which is a good source of protein
I cook vegetarian bolognese, vegeterian chilli, vegetable stir fry, vegetable fajitas
There's loads of veggie meals if u use the quorn chicken u can make meat free korma, Spanish chicken tons of stuff

It may be hard to stick to a weight-loss “diet†that limits your portions to very small sizes or excludes certain foods. You may have difficulty making that work over the long term. Instead, a healthy eating plan takes into account your likes and dislikes, and in-cludes a variety of foods that give you enough calories and nutrients for good health.

Make sure your healthy eating plan is one that:

Emphasizes fruits,

vegetables, whole grains, and fat-free or low-fat milk and milk products.

Includes lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, eggs, and nuts.

Is low in saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol,

salt (sodium), and added sugars.

it will surely help you in losing weight

i've been a veggie for years and am now a vegan so ask if you want veggie ideas!! i usually start off with porridge (2 tbsp oats, 1 tbsp raisins and some pumpkins seeds with water and cooked for 3 mins with sweetener :)) i'm with you with the popcorn! also have lollies as snacks. i eat lots of avocados but make them the focus of my meal cos theyre high cal, never use oil unless its the spray stuff, have lots of stir fry veg without the noodles, i stay away from pasta and bread and generally its working! ooh and lots of soup is good :)

Yeah I used to vegetarian, but I found myself putting on more weight - I found myself eating more carbs, so I gave it up. I'd like to try it again though - I never used quorn before, that sounds perfect!

I've been a vegetarian for over twenty years, and in that time I also became a personal trainer.To be honest I did find it difficult at first to find a proper balance for my diet. At first I did gain weight and felt bad physically, I realized I was eating mainly carbs (not the good ones lol) and not getting enough protein. So I had constant blood sugar high and lows, and I couldn't build any muscle definition. Now that I know how to eat properly I have these problems under control. However, when clients say to me maybe they should become vegetarians to be healthier and lose weight, I have to warn them that they have to go about it the proper way, or it could actually have the reverse effect. Hope everyone continues to be successful in their endeavors! :)

I've been a Vegetarian for more then 15 Years.There are a lot of health benefits of a vegetarian.Guava is one of the best fruits if you are on a weight loss plan. It contains high fibre which not only restrains the appetite but also regulates the insulin level within the body. Melon fruits contain water and fibre. The water from fruits stays much longer in stomach and reduces the appetite. Apples contain pectin fiber which prevents unwanted fat storage. It also regulates blood glucose level. ...

Hi Enve !!!
Normally your diet is good.For healthy diet take milk,fruits and vegetables and drink more water atleast 3litres a day.

What if I was to tell you...I used to be a vegetarian/raw food person until I started taking an all Natural Weight Management Program thats turned me back to whole foods again plus the weight is still falling off!
I went from 300 to 190 in 8 months on this program...it infuses the body with all natural...pure nutrition....It has over 90 essential vitamins and minerals in the supermix. Your body gets so healthy the weight just falls off and stays off!
I know it seems too far fetched to believe but it's true...I'm part of a group that this is helping! It's true and real....and possible. There is youtube videos of peoples results and testimonials.....not me...I'm too shy for that, but I know some people who this is helped tremdously aswell....

The only weight-loss strategy that has been technically shown to take bodyweight off and keep it off for more than a season is a veggie diet strategy.

LOL That is so wrong it is silly.

I certainly did not adopt a veggie diet to lose weight (or maintain that loss) and have remained well over 100 pounds lighter for over five years now.

Lots of people have lost a lot of weight on this forum - and the vast majority of them have not adopted a vegetarian diet to do it.

I am all in favour of vegetarians encouraging each other to lose weight and do so in a healthy way - but there is no sense in saying things that are just plain wrong.

The only weight-loss strategy that has been technically shown to take bodyweight off and keep it off for more than a season is a veggie diet strategy. Have you dropped a few pounds on a veggie diet?...

Where do you get your info from? Can you prove that statement somehow? I'd bet you can't, because it's total nonsense. Plenty of people here have dropped weight and kept it off without going vegetarian, and I see plenty of posts from vegetarians who struggle as much with losing weight as people who eat meat.

While I am not a vegetarian, and never will be, but my motto is that everybody should do what they think is best, and what they prefer. Just don't go around preaching. And don't spread false information, like you are trying to. Get your facts straight.

Get some nuts and pulses in there... Nuts make you feel full for longer. Just a teaspoon of peanut butter keeps me going for hours.

Where do you get your info from? Can you prove that statement somehow? I'd bet you can't, because it's total nonsense. Plenty of people here have dropped weight and kept it off without going vegetarian, and I see plenty of posts from vegetarians who struggle as much with losing weight as people who eat meat.

While I am not a vegetarian, and never will be, but my motto is that everybody should do what they think is best, and what they prefer. Just don't go around preaching. And don't spread false information, like you are trying to. Get your facts straight.

I also disagree with the original statement. I have gained a lot of weight since becoming a vegetarian. I've been veggie for 5 years and have steadily gained about 40lbs. It's much more difficult to eat a balanced diet which keeps you feeling satisfied when you're a vegetarian, most foods are digested just as quickly as they are eaten and leave you feeling hungry an hour later..

Of course I probably haven't been eating the best, most balanced vegetarian diet so this might just be me... But everyone is different..

If you are then it's easy for you to lose the weight because the vegetarian foods are more helpful to control the weight gain and lose all unnecessary body fat.
You can take green leafy vegetables salads, citrus fruits juices, vegetables soups, and green tea etc. for your weight loss through diet.

I'm a vegetarian and feel strongly about my diet choices. I believe that it's easier to lose weight as a vegetarian, however, I definitely don't agree with what Arnold mentioned. I know people who are overweight and vegetarian, just as well as I know that there are incredibly athletic meat eaters who were once very overweight. I would be adding greens, raw food and juices into my lifestyle, paired with regular exercise.

Back