Lose bodyfat with HIIT?

Have you lost bodyfat using high intensity interval training?

• Yes

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • No, just weight training.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • No. I used long duration low intensity aerobic exercise

• Aerobic exercise? What's that?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, just diet.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What's HIIT?

• Total voters
Just curious as I've noticed, (and even I'm guilty of doing this), when people ask how to lose body fat we say do HIIT, it works! I personally have never had a bodyfat > 12%, so I've never focused on dropping body fat. I perform sprints and intervals more for increasing my speed and just for the fun of running as fast as possible.

How many people out there perform high intensity interval training and have achieved success in dropping body fat? HIIT is also supposed to help maintain muscle while losing fat.

So, any success stories? I've read many posts of individuals losing weight from other methods. Just curious.

JasonD,

I've been training for about 8 years fairly seriously(Last 2.5yrs very seriously). During my last year of college I became lazy and apathetic. I dug myself a hole at which point I weighed in the neighborhood of 218lbs. (I'm 5'11"). I played college soccer for the first part of school - starting college at a lean 155lbs so gettin to 218lbs was a huge wake-up call. (Enough history)

I started my return to the gym in summer of 2001 by spending hours at the gym per day. On average I worked out 6 days a week 2-2.5hrs per day. Of course I lost some weight....only about 18lbs. Then I stalled. Strength levels plateaued as well. I hung around 200lbs for about 6 months.

Then I was introduced to HIIT. Interval training really cut the fat off fast. I was spending less time in the gym but seeing more results. My strength also increased. I will admit I have never had bf% readings taken, but I know based on how I look and feel that the fat is melting away and lean muscle is taking its place. I am currently at 184lbs and stronger than ever. Recently ended a mass block and just started a new Functional Strength/Hypertrophy training block.

Not sure if this is the type of story you were looking for, but that's how it happened for me.

In Health,
DM

Back