loose weight before going to gym?

i used to be the strong pumped up dude... but i stopped training and started sitting and eating...

i hate the way my body looks now but i'm embarresed to go to the jim, coz i know how i looked at those chubby guys trying to lift something... not that i made fun of any of them or anything... i just had no respect whatsoever for them.

now i'm one of those guys, and am wondering, should i loose weight before going to the gym... and how? i'm eating like a mouse compared to my diet when i was training, and still can't loose any of the fat.

what should i eat?

(i hate any cardio exercices... so that's out of the quesion... i get all red in the face after 20s)

thx!

i just had no respect whatsoever for them.
That sounds like a personal problem. I very much respect someone who's trying to improve their health.

Oh, and "i hate any cardio exercices... so that's out of the quesion" is silly. You must do cardio, simple as that. Deal.

SoulFood said:
i hate the way my body looks now but i'm embarresed to go to the jim, coz i know how i looked at those chubby guys trying to lift something... not that i made fun of any of them or anything... i just had no respect whatsoever for them.

so how do you feel about chubby guys who stay out of the gym and dont do squat about it? what makes you think you are in any position to put yourself above these guys, when the difference between you and them is that they are actually getting off their butts and trying to improve themselves?

sorry if that sounds harsh, but heres the long and the short of it: if you want to lose fat, get in the gym and check your ego at the door. it has no place in there. yeah, cardio is tough, but thats why it works. gotta do it. as far as eating, eat the conventional "good foods:" vegetables, whole grains, etc. always eat breakfast and stay away from simple sugars.

hit the weights, do cardio, and eat right. nuff said.

I agree with Fil - I've always had the opinion that, if say I see someone overweight at my gym, I'll think, "Hey, they're trying to make themselves better. That's cool." As freddy said, check your ego at the door. Most people probably won't have a problem with someone who isn't particularly fit working out next to them.

well now you're going to be the chubby guy in the gym, and some pumped up dude is gonna think he's better than you and have no respect for ya. I think once you have learned the lesson, you're problem won't exist. Gym's are for training... need i say more?

Now start busting ur ass.

I have always wondered whether or not I was supposed to drop the lbs, and then try to build my physique, or if I was supposed to do it at the same time. Even though I think that in this case, it's a little bit different situation. I'm young, and have never been to a gym before, and the thought that there are going to be muscle heads there, that would think I was a joke...doesn't exactly make me want to go either

stephen, you should do both - kind of. Focus on one, have one specific goal, but you're going to need both strength training and cardio in any plan. If you go to a good gym, I think you'll probably be able to find someone to help you out, even.

Buy Burn the Fat feed the Muscle by Tom Venuto and start following the program, eventually you will start losing fat at pumpin' up those muscles. It's not something you'd achieve in a month or so , it'll take some time but you'll have great results

stephenl said:
I have always wondered whether or not I was supposed to drop the lbs, and then try to build my physique, or if I was supposed to do it at the same time. Even though I think that in this case, it's a little bit different situation. I'm young, and have never been to a gym before, and the thought that there are going to be muscle heads there, that would think I was a joke...doesn't exactly make me want to go either

While i never spend much time in gyms (home training) i was both in good shape and seriously out of shape with the times i did spend there. Out of shape is better in some respects, you haven't got the muscleheads galking at your like your taking there territory. I agree with pretty well what everyone said. Not to go to the gym because your afraid what healthy people might think is very narrow minded.

Back