Looking for ideas - successful once - second time is difficult

Status
Not open for further replies.

idmd

Hey everyone, new to the forum and looking for ideas but first an introduction:

Five years ago I was 335lbs (I’m 6’5”) - I ate like crap (4000+ calories per day - mostly carbs). There was no exercise. I was starting to show signs of insulin resistance and I was hypertensive with fatty liver disease and low T. I went to a physician who started me on synthroid and testosterone therapy. I made up my mind I was going to exercise and modify my diet. I stared at the gym 3-4x per week with a mixture of lifting and cardio, cut down to 3000 calories per day and tried to keep carbs under 100g. I’m meticulous about logging diet, exercise and weight. The pounds easily melted away and within 4 months I was 300lbs and I plateaued. I continued to exercise and went to 2700 calories per day and in another 3 months I was 275lbs. I went down to 2500 calories per day and only lost another 5lbs over the next 2 months. At 2500 calories with exercising I really felt I was starving myself. So I backed off and went to 2800 calories per day. I remained at 275lbs for 18 months and continued logging and foods and exercising. After 18 months with no changes to diet or exercise I started gaining until I was 300lbs again. I fell of the wagon for 6 months and was back up to 320lbs - still eating mostly good foods but not watching portions. I got back on the wagon at 320 lbs and started the process of cutting down 3000 calories per day. I’ve NEVER stopped exercising and have been continuously exercising for the past 5 years having never missed more than a week and half. For the past year I’ve been eating 2700 calories per day and lifting/stairs.

Compared to my 335lbs 5 years ago I have a very different body composition - still morbidly obese but a much higher lean mass % and a much active lifestyle. My current stats are below.

40 year old male.
Current weight 335lbs
Height 6’5”
Hypertension - multiple meds. ALT slightly elevated indicating fatty liver. Fasting glucose 85 and A1C is always low in the range. Hypothyroidism treated with synthroid. Hypogonadism treated with testosterone. No dyslipidemias.
Currently restricted to 2700 cals per day (Carbs 20%, protein 40% and fats 40%) - meticulous about logging foods.
Exercise - 3-4x per week intense weight lifting for 60-90mins. Mostly compound lifts and alternate months between heavy weight/low reps and moderate weight/high reps. Never go to the gym and not have delayed onset muscle pain the next day. Always end with 25-50 (10-12 mins) flights on stair machine and frequently will do 50-75 flights (12-18 mins) on non-leg days.

In the last 4 months I’ve been reinvigorated at the gym and have been lifting hard and frequently. Some of my increased weight in the last 4 months is lean mass but I still have this huge belly. I carry most of my fat as omental fat (the worst place). Looking at my diet and my exercise routine I don’t know what else to do? At 2700 calories I feel sated, I don’t feel like I’m having to starve myself and I’m sometimes having to eat a little more than I want to try and reach 2700 calories. I’m eating breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I’m certain there is some significant compensatory physiology going on here since I lost the weight the wrong way the first time and I really don’t think trying to go to a 2000 calories diet for a guy my size and activity level is going to lead to healthy sustained weight loss. I feel like I’m doing what I should and I’m simply doing what worked the first time and I can’t believe I’m 335lbs. I have a heavy science back ground including human physiology/medicine so feel free to geek out on me. At this point I’m just looking for help.

firstly, as we age it does get harder to loose the fat, you said your body composition has changes, what was it and what is it now.

With a low carb diet it is usually better to track by grams rather than a % of calories for your macros. Calculating nutritional needs on lean mass is often a good option.

For your cardio HIIT will generate more calorie burn than steady cardio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back