Loaded Q -- What is the best way to train?

Ok, so I know this is hard one... but seriously, what if most effective?

I definitely want to lose fat (I don't really wanna know what my % is right now as I used to be fairly fit but have been little more than sedentary for about 2 years, ugh, so sick of feeling tired and not fitting into my old jeans) but i am also not opposed to getting stronger. I don't mind slightly bigger muscles if I know I'm healthy, I'd rather weigh 130 and be healthy and proud of my shape, than 110 and not be able to bench press the bar, lol.

For cardio, should I walk at a good pace and incline for an hour, jog for half an hour, interval train, etc. I have a treadmill... (and a dvd player :) )

For resistance training, seriously, this is where I need some guidance, should I break it down by sections, ya know, chest and back one day, legs and butt, then arms and shoulders or circuit train and hit everything every time just with different exercises and not as hard? And what about progressive stuff? Where you focus on a group of muscles in a certain pattern that is supposed to be the "most effective"? I've done a few videos like that and it burns so good :eek:

I stay between about 1200-1500 calories a day, good water intake, and get my vitamins. I also have cut out all junk, pop, sweets, etc. I do one cheat meal per week, nothing drastic like the entire value menu or anything, more like I'll make tacos at home with ground turkey and whole wheat tortillas and not skimp on the sour cream, hehehe. I would say I eat pretty well, which is why I haven't gained anything in the last year, but like I said, sedentary. Desk job and tv junkie. I live in the country, so no gym nearby, but i have a treadmill and a weight set (free weights and also a bench set up with leg and arm stuff too). I know what I need to a good exercise program, it has been a long time coming! I used to play soccer and practice martial arts, so i know I can take it, just gotta get back in and won't have someone standing over me saying, ok, now do this!

Any help is totally appreciated! :D

oh, and

if it is important, I am 25, female, 5'4", and currently at 139lbs and my tentative goal is 125lbs

I don't mind slightly bigger muscles if I know I'm healthy, I'd rather weigh 130 and be healthy and proud of my shape, than 110 and not be able to bench press the bar, lol.
Just for the record muscle comes from strength training in a caloric surplus, so if in a deficit (which is needed to lose fat) you can't "bulk up"
For cardio, should I walk at a good pace and incline for an hour, jog for half an hour, interval train, etc. I have a treadmill... (and a dvd player :) )
Being that you are the size you are (healthy weight,few vanity pounds to lose) I would look into doing HIIT or just interval training.

For resistance training, seriously, this is where I need some guidance, should I break it down by sections, ya know, chest and back one day, legs and butt, then arms and shoulders or circuit train and hit everything every time just with different exercises and not as hard? And what about progressive stuff? Where you focus on a group of muscles in a certain pattern that is supposed to be the "most effective"? I've done a few videos like that and it burns so good :eek:

Whoa sweetie don't make it so complicated;) A simple 3x a week full body workout is just what you need. Great for beginners, great for busting fat and should be chalk full of compound workouts. There are some great pre-made program available or books you can get. You can also work with a personal trainer if wanting more specific. As far as books go I would highly suggest

it is not that complicated as some routines for people to understand.

I stay between about 1200-1500 calories a day, good water intake, and get my vitamins. I also have cut out all junk, pop, sweets, etc. I do one cheat meal per week, nothing drastic like the entire value menu or anything, more like I'll make tacos at home with ground turkey and whole wheat tortillas and not skimp on the sour cream, hehehe. I would say I eat pretty well, which is why I haven't gained anything in the last year, but like I said, sedentary.

For your stats listed below this range seems fine (though I would not hit 1200 to often. I would stay more in a bounce range where 1400 was lowest with a refeed day once a week and move from there. The best thing you can do is learn this one simple rule in the beginning...no guesstimating your calories. Count everything right now, plan out a meal plan with a good ratio (50% carbs, 30% protien, 20% fat is just basic start point) you can adjust it as needed with lower carbs, higher fats, so forth. Focus on good carbs, good fats, and get protien in with every meal, period.

Diet is 80%. If it is clean and your training is on target then you should have no problem reaching your goal. Note that because you are small it is going to take a while, maybe only 1lb a week if lucky. So don't get frustrated, stick with it and do it healthy and it will never come back on.

Thank you!

I was thinking M, W, F weights and T, R, Sa interval on treadmill, but I wanted to make sure somebody who knows what their doing thought that too :)

You did mention one thing I don't really do -- I totally admit it, I guesstimate when it comes to calories if it isn't a packaged food (which I am trying to get away from since most have so many icky things in them). I do watch my protein, fats and carbs, but again, if it is homemade, I am kinda guessing. I keep a journal, so I guess I could start recording calories and such, couldn't hurt.

Yeah, I know it will be kinda slow going. I am hoping to reach my goal by the end of May, which gives me something like 16 weeks. I will get some nice motivation in early March when the Arnold Classic comes to town -- they do an awesome fitness expo.

Any advice on how to get my husband to join me? Besides a little vanity weight (he is 6' and a little under 200lbs -- he could actually bulk up a little instead of losing really), he has high cholesterol that worries me (he is only 29!). I try really hard to help him, olive oil, garlic, fruit and veggies, no red meat, nothing fried, but he really needs to get in shape with me. I just can't seem to talk him into it! :(

Its really hard to say what I would do to motivate him. I find it hard enough getting my wife to join me at the gym. She'll go twice and then make excuses to not go, and try to make ones for me to not go either. That doesnt work however.

I would just express your concern of his existing health problems, high cholestrol. I dont know if you have kids, but you could definitely say how you want him to be healthy and around for the kids as long as possible.

I was thinking M, W, F weights and T, R, Sa interval on treadmill, but I wanted to make sure somebody who knows what their doing thought that too :)

You did mention one thing I don't really do -- I totally admit it, I guesstimate when it comes to calories if it isn't a packaged food (which I am trying to get away from since most have so many icky things in them). I do watch my protein, fats and carbs, but again, if it is homemade, I am kinda guessing. I keep a journal, so I guess I could start recording calories and such, couldn't hurt.

Yeah, I know it will be kinda slow going. I am hoping to reach my goal by the end of May, which gives me something like 16 weeks. I will get some nice motivation in early March when the Arnold Classic comes to town -- they do an awesome fitness expo.

Any advice on how to get my husband to join me? Besides a little vanity weight (he is 6' and a little under 200lbs -- he could actually bulk up a little instead of losing really), he has high cholesterol that worries me (he is only 29!). I try really hard to help him, olive oil, garlic, fruit and veggies, no red meat, nothing fried, but he really needs to get in shape with me. I just can't seem to talk him into it! :(

Tony is right people have to work at their own pace. Mostly though I find with husbands and boyfriends that YOU getting more and more "toned" and confident will make them feel the need to hang on to you more, therefore putting a charge up them to be worth staying around for. Is this silly, of course it is, but I can't tell you how many of my women clients had their men start picking up the weight after they have seen results. This is of course after the food sabotage stage that can occur. One husband made a cheesecake every 3 days. She never touched it, he did, at the end he gained 10lbs and then started working out. It was hilarious and great and a true sign to his wife just how much he did in fact love her even if it came out in odd ways ha.

For his levels you can also "trick" him into eating better fats. I highly promote smart balance items (peanut butter, mayo, light and regular butter, oil, popcorn). They taste great and don't seem like you are doing the right thing but are filled with the best of fats.

With you on his side I am sure he will end up jumping on the wagon, motivation is contagious.

Back