leftovers!

W

wonderwoman

my worst battle is trying not to eat whats left on kids plates! i HATE throwing away food but had to force myself to do it for my own health lol!
either that or i wrap the food right away and stick it in freezer so i am not tempted to munch on it later! if its frozen i cant eat it rght?

just give it to the kids for lunch for the next day ... or, do what my dad did ... allow them to make their own meal sizes and tell them that they must eat what they take ;)

this also was a problem of mine...and a friend said they leave it on their plates because they are full...serve them less. It seemed so simple,..I do just that and I give them about half of what I gave them before on smaller plates,...and they always seem to eat it. I think if kids see alot of food they think "wow I will never get through all this"...and begin to play with it. They eat it now and sometimes ask for more if they really like it or are still hungry. So dont fear if you give them less they will always let you know if they need more. Children are much better at listening to the dietary needs than adults.

no, you dont understand. my kids are VERY picky eaters and usually no matter what i make them, they refuse to eat it. thus, the leftovers. and i put only a tiny amount on the plate. so basicly, i made dinner for nothing. well the hubby ate some, but i cook thinking maybe they will eat this today.

Ahhhhh,..that is a whole other ball game...lucky me I have kids that eat every thing...even spices, must be frustrating when you go to all that trouble to make dinner and nothing gets eaten....I remember reading an article on tips to getting your kids to eat a higher variety of foods,...I will look for it, and pass it on.

Here is the link to the article I read recently it about kids and food in general....I cut and copied the part of the article pertaining to picky eaters.....good luck

The Two Golden Rules of Feeding Your Children
By the time your child is 2, you will have to learn how to relinquish a certain amount of control over the way he eats. According to Ellyn Satter, author and registered dietitian, there is one golden rule about feeding your children:

Parents are responsible for what foods are served to children and how they are served; children are responsible for how much—and even whether—they eat.

Another "golden rule" shared by many nutritional experts is:

Never, ever allow food to become a battleground or power struggle between you and your child.

Avoiding a battle over food is frequently difficult during a child's earlier years. One tactic you may find helpful is to serve the meal, then physically leave the room for 5 or 10 minutes while the child decides what to eat. And when asking the child for a choice, don't leave it open-ended: Rather than saying "What would you like for breakfast?" present a couple of options, for instance "Would you like cereal or a bagel?"

Helpful Hints for Picky Eaters

• Never make food a battleground.

• Keep a food diary for your child—you may find that he isn't eating as badly as you think.

• Continue to offer a variety of nutritious foods in addition to the chosen few.

• Get the child involved in preparation. Cut food into fun shapes, serve raw vegetables and offer healthy dipping sauces—try seasoning plain yogurt.

Coping With Picky Eaters
There's no medical definition for a picky eater, but if your child is one, you'll know it. With pre-schoolers, foods can come in and out of favor with breathtaking rapidity for no apparent reason whatsoever. Sometimes, children can become attached to just a single food, or to weird combinations of foods.

Coping with a picky eater may strain your patience, but take comfort in knowing that most such kids become normal eaters in a matter of time, and rarely does "pickiness" affect their health. Your picky eater may eat better than you realize. The book, Let Them Eat Cake, cites the example of 2-year-old "Josh," whose insistence on a scrambled egg, catsup, and juice every night for dinner until he was about three and a half drove his parents crazy. But when they kept track of his all-day food intake, it became clear that in the course of 24 hours Josh ate a wide variety of other healthy foods, and so was in no danger of suffering nutritionally because of his strange evening meal.

Your child's pickiness may have nothing to do with food preferences and everything to do with the pre-school struggle for independence. If you accept pickiness as a temporary phenomenon and refuse to make a big deal about it, the problem, in all likelihood, will disappear in time.

In some cases, however, a picky eater is right. Some children may instinctively avoid certain foods because they know these items make them uncomfortable. If your child refuses to eat a particular kind of food, it may signal an allergy or intolerance. For example, if the child won't take milk, try substituting yogurt, cheese, or cottage cheese; cultured dairy products are sometimes better tolerated. If that doesn't work, just make certain you supply other calcium-rich foods; you may also want to have the child tested for a milk allergy or lactose intolerance.

If picky eating becomes perverse and persistent, or if your intuition tells you something is unhealthy about the way your child eats, consult your pediatrician. Although real eating disorders are rare in pre-schoolers, they could be an indication of more serious concerns or conditions.

thanks for posting that. i have actually had them vomit on their plate when i ask them to at least TRY what i have served them. if they dont like the way it looks or smells they wont even try it. even try to bribe them if u eat a few times if you try it then you can have ice cream for dessert. and its not just one of my kids, its all 3 of them!

LOL...its being a mommy so wonderful...if we only knew before we signed up for the job...ah we would have dont it anyway...good luck

Back