Jen's Diary

jen_renee

I'm Jen. I'm 40, married with 3 kids. I have two teenagers and a baby. I also work part time from home.

I've been on and off this forum for the last ten years. Last time I was on here was right after I had my baby, and she's 10 months old now. I didn't gain much during my pregnancy. I lost all the baby weight and was down to 229. I weighed myself a couple weeks ago though and was up to 240 again. Which was really depressing.

The last several months I've been dealing with more than my fair share of physical problems. An increase in my all over muscle pain, increased stiffness, days where it flares really bad and I'm on the couch with a heating pad all day. My hands and feet hurt really bad. I've been super tired and not sleeping well, and it's not from the baby. She's been sleeping through the night since she was 5 months. I also had an increase in my anxiety, which was already bad to begin with. A lot of these problems I had before, but they definitely got worse.

I'm almost certain something I'm eating is making it worse. I decided two weeks ago to start Whole 30 with some modifications. I'm on day 14 right now and can, without a doubt, say I feel better. I'm a lot less stiff, my pain has gone down quite a bit, I'm not as swollen and bloated. Less cravings. I'm sleeping better and actually remembering what I'm dreaming sometimes. I have multiple spots on my upper butt and hips that have hurt for ten plus years with just the lightest touch, and you actually have to press on them now to make them hurt. Pressing on them before felt like you were digging into them with a screwdriver, and they definitely don't hurt that bad now. I'm hoping this continues and I can figure out what foods are bothering me when I start to reintroduce them in two weeks. Oh, and my anxiety is down as well. I was not expecting that, but am not gonna complain about it, that's for sure. lol!

My husband is super supportive and doing this with me, which makes it a ton easier. He's the one that cooks and the food so far has all been really good. We also started doing yoga. We're horrible at it, haha, but it's nice to spend time together. We've only done it a couple of times so far, and it was easy beginner type stuff, but I can see this helping me physically and mentally.

I don't expect the diet to cure all my problems. It's temporary to figure out what I'm sensitive too. I mean,...I'm 40, overweight, out of shape, and have a baby I chase after all day....there's no miracle cure for that. haha! But I'm hoping that if I figure out what foods are making it worse, I can eliminate those and it will at least take the edge off and I can get back to feeling a little more normal again. Heck, if all I get out of it is helping my anxiety, I'm good with that too. lol!

I took a look around the forum and was happy to still see some familiar names and lots of new ones too. I hope everyone is doing well. :waving:

Hi, Jen :grouphug:
Please say hi to Chef for me too :)
I hope you can work out what food affects you so badly. I cut out the deadly nightshade family years ago & reintroduced them one at a time & found Capsicum was the culprit with me.
It's lovely having you back again. Quercus has just returned too :)

Hi, Jen :grouphug:
Please say hi to Chef for me too :)
I hope you can work out what food affects you so badly. I cut out the deadly nightshade family years ago & reintroduced them one at a time & found Capsicum was the culprit with me.
It's lovely having you back again. Quercus has just returned too :)

I will tell him hi for you! Hmm...I might have to cut out peppers too. I've done a little reading on nightshades and eliminated white potatoes, because those are compliant with Whole 30, but I know they bother me, so I took them out of my diet anyway. I might have to try that with peppers too. I do eat them quite a bit. Thanks, Cate!

Hi Jen, good to hear from you! Sorry you´ve been struggling so with your health but at least you´ve found a way to make things better. Let´s hope the culprit is something you don´t really like anyway :p

Thanks, Aimingglow and LaMa. Hopefully it is something I don't like, but I'm not that lucky. lol!

Just jumping on here real quick while the baby is taking a snooze. We had pork tacos in a lettuce wrap last night and they were scrumptious. Woke up feeling ok this morning, maybe a little more stiff, but I also didn't stretch much yesterday, so I'm sure that didn't help things. I don't know what we're eating later, probably something with chicken or pork though, because we have a lot of it. lol! I need to work a little bit and then go pick up the older kids from school and Chef from work. I took the kids to school this morning and realized when I pulled back in that our other vehicle was still in the carport and he didn't take it to work. Messaged him and found out it wouldn't start, luckily we live close enough he just walked instead. We just recently got a new car, so we think it's getting us back for that. :p Hopefully it just needs jumped and it won't have to go to the shop. *fingers crossed*

Goal for the day: drink more water!

my-organs-watching-me-drink-water-30841760.png
:smilielol5:

I hope it's something you don't like much too. I must admit I was glad it was capsicum for me & not chillies. They are used in so many things though so are hard to avoid.
Your day sounds so crazily busy. Keep that water up, Jen. I need to do the same.

Love the picture of the rejoicing organs! I'll go and swig some right now in celebration! :beerchug: <---- water, though it doesn't look like it!

Hi Jen congrats one the little baby and also well done on juggling everything you have going on .
Thank you! It definitely keeps me busy. lol! :)
Love the picture of the rejoicing organs! I'll go and swig some right now in celebration! :beerchug: <---- water, though it doesn't look like it!
That picture always makes me chuckle... mostly because it's probably true for me. haha!
hi Jen! Nice to meet you! :)
Nice to meet you too!
You lucky, lucky woman.

Welcome back, beaut. Hi to Chef from me. Yank and I have a 7 month old now!
Ah yes, I know I'm lucky! Although the last few nights haven't gone so well because she's teething. Aren't babies fun.. lol! I will tell Chef hi for you! :)

Not much to report. I've been super busy. My brother decided to drive to up at the last minute for Thanksgiving. So I've been busy visiting with him. Still staying on track food wise, and plan to for Thanksgiving. I'll probably just bring my own food or eat before I go over to my mom's. I know it's going to be tempting though. Soooo much good food. Why did I start this diet right before the holidays? haha! Although, it's probably a good thing. I usually gain like 5 lbs between November and December just from all the holiday treats around, and they definitely aren't an option right now.. lol! Anywho..... we're off to an orthodontist appointment for my oldest daughter. I'll catch up later! :)

@jen_renee
Maybe try to eat your mom's food but not too much? The right diet isn't about to get crazy with your meal plan, but be happy about what you eat and feel free, so if you are restrictive with your diet daily- you can have a one day break but without losing your mind :)

Why did I start this diet right before the holidays? haha! Although, it's probably a good thing. I usually gain like 5 lbs between November and December just from all the holiday treats around, and they definitely aren't an option right now.
Exactly. If you have diet portions of the really delicious stuff you´ll be so happy after the holidays not to have to relose several extra pounds!

Well, it's Thursday, the 28th of November here, so I'll wish you a Happy Thanksgiving, Jen. LaMa is right. Not overindulging now will be less to lose in January. I'm doing the same although I don't have to get through thanksgiving as it's not a thing here.
Hope the teething is short & sweet. Enjoy your family time.

Thank you for the comments, everyone!

Well I survived Thanksgiving. It wasn't that bad. I was pretty busy chasing after the little one and getting her to eat during dinner that it didn't really bother me too much. lol! My brother left yesterday afternoon and my mom just texted me and said he got home safely just a little bit ago, so that's good.

We're thinking about starting to decorate for Christmas today, but trying to figure out what to do with the tree with the baby. We have a big gate we could put around it, but it just isn't going to look as nice. I think I'd prefer that over the little one getting into ornaments and such every 2 seconds though. lol!

Dinner tonight is chicken in a creamy sauce with spinach I believe. I'm not making it, so I don't know the specifics. lol! Last night we had asparagus, sweet potato mash, and steaks. Chef made this seasoned butter to melt on the top of the steaks, ...omg it was good. :drool5:

Still feeling pretty good, other than my back hurting a little bit. I have the heating pad on it now, and it feels better. I'm finishing up work and then we'll either watch something or start decorating.

OH, I also discovered that dates are super good. The kind you eat, not the kind you go on. Although, those are good too. lol! ;)

How lucky are we, Jen to have our own chefs. It makes it harder to lose weight, but my food is always delicious.
Your Christmas will be very special with your little one :)

Getting a kid to distract you from feasting instead of eating all their leftovers sounds like an excellent holiday strategy :p I hope your back behaves!

Lovely that the holiday eating season has got off to such a cheerful start! :) How long does it - the season - last, around your way? Will there be feasting at New Year's as well as before?

How lucky are we, Jen to have our own chefs. It makes it harder to lose weight, but my food is always delicious.
Your Christmas will be very special with your little one :)
We are very lucky. There are definite perks to being married to a chef. lol! Christmas will be great for sure! :)
Getting a kid to distract you from feasting instead of eating all their leftovers sounds like an excellent holiday strategy :p I hope your back behaves!
It's feeling better! Thank you! :)
Lovely that the holiday eating season has got off to such a cheerful start! :) How long does it - the season - last, around your way? Will there be feasting at New Year's as well as before?
Well around here it usually starts on Thanksgiving and ends on News Year's Eve. Right after Thanksgiving you start seeing Christmas goodies wherever you go. Then you have Christmas dinner and it usually end on New Year's Eve for us. We usually have snacks and drinks on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve. Some people do a bigger dinner on New Years too, but we don't. Basically Thanksgiving through New Years is one constant temptation if you're trying to watch what you eat. lol!

Not much to report. We're on day 23 of Whole 30. Seven more days and then we start reintroducing food. I believe sugar is the first thing you reintroduce. I'm going to have to look it up to make sure though. We've already been discussing some of the things we're going to incorporate into our diets from the things we've made and learned in the last few weeks. This has been by far the easiest diet for us to stick to. We both feel better. We're enjoying the food. We've both lost weight.. I'm assuming. You're not supposed to weigh yourself, but you can definitely see the difference. Very happy we decided to do this.

Not diet related: It snowed this past weekend and I'm ready for winter to be over. Can we just be done? haha! Although, we do have heated seats in our new car and I'm never going back. So toasty warm! Best thing ever. lol! :driving:

Back