I've lost 8.8lbs but can't lose this pooch. Is it loose skin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldennis98

Been dieting for about a month now, dropped from 10st13lb down to 10st4.2lb. I've always had a lower belly pounch but even with this weight loss it doesn't want to budge. I've switched up what i eat but i havent been doing any extra exercise, but my usual working 3-4 days a week in a kitchen. Is this loose skin or is it fat that can be burned? It's making me really self concious. i dont want to just hide it with clothes, i want to actually get rid of it :( p.s. ignore the weetabix bowl lol

159181422_879077335997855_3595162346978564350_n.jpg159815015_753355882221203_4632829988554965068_n.jpg

Looks like fat that can be burned to me; loose skin tends to be "thinner", like a deflated balloon. Sadly belly fat is often the first to come when we gain weight and the last to go when we lose it!

I agree with LaMa, looks like fat to me. I would not think that an 8 pound loss would be enough to cause sagging skin.

Your belly looks nothing like mine, I have lost over 160 lbs and have real sagging skin. Yours looks a lot better!

And in my experience LaMa is right, you can't target weight loss to specific areas, you body does what it does, and often the place you want to lose the fat is the last place it goes. I lost fat on my head, feet, and hands before the lower belly. Now I am down to a very low body fat percentage, but still have some on the belly I would prefer not to, and I don't feel comfortable losing more weight. I'll just live with it.

I think it's also good to remind oneself every now and then that skin elasticity is something that naturally lessens as we age, and that it's not supposed to sit tight on the body in the first place - even very thin people have skin folds when sitting down et cetera. I only brought this up because I have horrid body dysmorphia, partly due to my hEDS (possibly EDS) which causes skin brittleness, looseness and abnormal scarification. Not much to be done about a genetic abnormalcy though, so I better learn to live with it.

you can't target weight loss to specific areas, you body does what it does

Indeed. It's good to keep in mind that ultimately we can't battle our genetics and how our bodies are built - so having realistic and sustainable goals is key. (I hope I don't sound preachy!!) For what it's worth, your body looks fine to me. I wish you success in getting to your goals and being happy in your body!

A sensitive topic for sure, so please ask me to edit if I was being unhelpful.

Best of luck with your plans and let us know how it goes! Losing 8 pounds in two months is a great start. Core exercises, if done correctly, can help with posture and good posture can really help with a slimmer look but sadly they won´t make you burn fat specifically on your stomach area.

In addition to what @LaMaria said, if you have access to a gym, bench presses are good for the core and posture, and building muscle in the upper body makes the torso look leaner too. And extra muscle mass increases your resting metabolism so that's something to consider too.

One step at a time, and remember to rest too!

bench presses are good for the core and posture

Bench press is good for some goals and does require you to hold your core staple during the press but no more than any other exercise, and it is not an exercise to promote better posture.

Bench press is good for some goals and does require you to hold your core staple during the press but no more than any other exercise, and it is not an exercise to promote better posture.

You are the professional here! I might have my terminology minced? Like, I tend to hunch forward and working on my upper body releases the tension from that. So I stand taller with my shoulder blades moving more freely -> nicer "posture & gait"? And by no means is one single exercise going to transform one's body, didn't mean to give that impression. :)

Loose skin as modeled by John Glaude (Obesetobeast on youtube):

glaude2.jpeg

The leaner you get, the less fat fills the loose skin so the less noticeable it becomes:

glaude.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back