Is state of mind more important than dieting?

cali0_14

hi guys, do you think it's more important to be fully committed before starting the dieting. I'm only asking because friends of mine are saying what you eat isn't as important as getting my mind right. but what the heck, when something delicious comes infront of me my motivation just goes out of the window!

You could gain a lot of weight while waiting for your mind to ever get into the right place...

I guess it is a bit like the old "tomorrow never comes" idea... It might always feel easier after the holidays or after a stressful time is over...

At least if you are trying you might limit things so that the task is not as enormous when things get going...

There is no denying that things are easier if "something in your head just clicks" - but it isnt like you get a message of "now I am ready to lose weight"... You try like a million times before and suddenly it all seems to be happening...

Try to avoid seeing those delicious things as often - so that they become the treat that they should be and not normal food. There are plenty of other delicious things that are not nearly as harmful to your weight... Try to become more active... There are all sorts of ways we can do this from walking more to joining a gym or adopting some form of sport. I was pretty big and walking was wonderful for me - now I am of a more healthy weight - I do a lot of dancing and exercise classes.

thanks for the advice omega, constantly trying does help because you're always moving to the goal and seeing from your signature you were 294 pounds in 2007! yikes that is a lot if you don't mind me saying. I gues i'm just not that strong mentally, but a friend told me that visualizing herself think really worked like some of the nlp practices one can use. did you ever find yourself trying something like this.

LOL - I didnt really do any visualisation - I had a lot of problems knowing what size I should be... I just knew that it needed to be a lot less than I was... I ended up looking nothing like the me at the start... Even very good friends could not recognise me when I got to goal. I lost 168 pounds in that project (but I am a bit heavier now - nothing worrying or anything as I am still very fit - just not as skinny as I was for a few years)...

I had tried numerous times and failed...

The thing was that I had no idea that it was going to work in 2007 - but I decided to try my best and start walking every day and eating as sensibly as I could and it just all seemed to click... I just got onto a roll with it and kept on pushing forward until I got there... If you can once get onto a roll that is half the battle done as it is really easy to follow a good habit if an action once turns into a habit... All you need to do is build things up so that you do all sorts of good things out of habit. Even now I do the bulk of my exercise out of habit. My social life revolves around zumba and salsa that I do and I have friends at classes that I go to pretty much every day. Finding a form of exercise that you enjoy can be hugely beneficial.

Last edited:
what your friends are trying to say is: if you want something real bad, then you will pass when it comes to "delicious" stuff...
I heard a quote "when you want to succeed, as bad as you want to breath. then you'll be succesfull" i guess, if you give up so quick you don't want it bad, you just kind of want it:D

btw.: when did "delicious"-stuff get a diet killer? there are thousands of delicious things you can eat, during a diet!

Aligning your mind goes a long way I've found. The quote that Phil refers to is in this very motivational video:

How bad do you want it?

What's important to consider is that mindset and willpower are not the same thing. Willpower is what gets used up when you see something "delicious" in front of you and are fighting internally whether to eat it or not. At that point it is likely already too late. The right mindset for weight loss comes before this and stops you from having to use up your willpower in the first place. Willpower is like a muscle that needs to be trained, and temptation is like the weight that you lift in the gym.

To me, habit is the keyword, much as Omega has already explained. Having a small, specific goal for now may work better for you than having a big vague goal like "I want to lose weight", which is rather overwhelming right away. Change small things in your life, one at a time. If your problem is dealing with temptation, choose just one specific food (strawberry cheesecake or whatever it might be that crushes your willpower) and say to yourself "I am the sort of person that no longer eats this kind of food. Not for any particular reason - I just don't." Then build on this over time.

Experiment with changing things that are very small, but focus on changing them consistently. You could for example use a calendar to mark every day that you have achieved your very small goal. Over time you will build up an impressive chain of successful days which will make you reluctant to break the new habit the longer you follow through with it. Does that make sense?

I've been stuck in a rut for a long time and I find it difficult to 1) eat healthy food all the time and 2) exercise regularly since I have develop a mental block about exercising for a long time now. Result, I don't do anything and I feel even worse, getting into the self guilt trip... It's a catch 22. There are some triggers, find what they are and work them out. The answers are within yourself and yourself only. Other people's advice might not work for you... I know I was told about weight watcher but the idea did not appeal, the fasting diet.. didn't appeal either, nothing really appealed and I know all those have been amazing to a lot of people but what I found was that it wasn't my time. I had to set my mind straight first and find the purpose for doing it.

I'm happy to say I have now lost some weight although I don't weigh myself as I find it enhances the guilt trip but I feel it in my clothes and myself, it's easier to move, I feel lighter... I have more energy and most importantly I don't want to go back!
This closes a chapter of my life: unhealthy life style, done. Let's start with: healthier and happier, and hopefully wealthier too!

The reason I started was because I was looking at job opportunities and I found something that really caught my attention and ticked all the boxes for me... and would help me to get healthier! I started the job and its cleansing programme... Similarly to all the known diets out there, there were a lot of testimonials and before and after pictures... I thought that would give me the boost to start it. If I had to show people it works and it might help building a business then that would be the motivation I need.
I got the motivation of getting fitter, healthier and working for myself... independent, strong-headed woman that I am. I have 3 days to go and I can honestly say it's worked wonders for me. I'm definitely slimmer, I can now do 20 minutes of cardio a day (although motivation is still lacking a bit on that front) and my energy levels are up which also means I'm more productive at work and able to work faster! Hurray.

I realised I've been babbling on quite a bit but I think the lesson to get out of all of this is to work out what is REALLY going to motivate YOU, set yourself achievable targets and finally visualise your goal(s)! Dream book: put a picture of what you really want in a book and work towards it. Have a lovely evening everyone.

I say mindset is critical just like dieting itself. in my opinion they are just as important. just stick to the plan and be strict on yourself after a while you will adapt to the new food and you wont want that delicious thing as bad so it will become easier

I think it is about finding the right time, for you, to do it. Plan for it, think about it and set realistic goals then the mindset will kick in automatically

Hi guys!
I am in a non stop weight loss war, for as long as I can remember, and I always have problems because I get bored after some time of fighting... This would be the reason I choose to search for help on this Forum. Maybe I can find some really good advice from people who really know what fighting to loose weight means.
This is why I think it is important to find the strong reasons to stop eating that ”something delicious comes” infront of us as cali0_14 said... And to write down the most important reason that makes us desire our weight loss...

I'd say that dieting and your state of mind aren't mutually exclusive. Obviously being in the right state of mind is going to help your diet by motivating you, but sometimes forcing yourself to go for that jog or to say no to that cake helps to put you in the right mind to keep going with it. If you need a bit of help motivating yourself, take a look at this : and other sites, to help back up those positive thoughts.

Back