Is Motivation An Over Used / Rated Word

ATMotivation

After spending 16 years in the UK Military as an Elite Physical Training Instructor and now as a fitness & lifestyle Coach I have seen countless people wanting to lose weight and generally get fit. The word I often hear and hear a lot is Motivation " I need to motivate myself" " I don`t have the motivation to do it" "Once I get Motivated" are all terms that come to mind.

I truly believe the only way to get fit and lose weight are through change of Habits and my Buzz word Discipline.. Let me explain, you wake up in the morning- Do You Make your Bed?.. Is it through motivation you do it or habit / discipline. You might not even make your bed which makes things even worse in my opinion. For example if you find brushing your teeth a chore you have serious problems.

Motivation only comes when you have formed a habit and had the discipline to see it through.. " I have to Motivate Myself" No you don`t you need to change your habits and have the discipline to do it..

I wonder how many people rely on Motivation to get things done or use another form for personal growth? it would be interesting to see what other people think..

All The Best A

i keep coming back to the word "hysteresis" when it comes to weight loss and especially with regard to impatience in society today. everyone expects to get immediate results. i hear the line..."how can i lose this belly fat? .... by the weekend". advertised diet plans don't help either. nearly every one of them "guarantees" a fast path to losing weight. IT DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT...!

motivation is difficult to maintain without visible results and i can't think of a less probable outcome when it comes to literally losing those first few pounds and establishing a trend.

btw... i brush my teeth more than once a day, but i don't believe i've made my bed in well over a year, ...unless you count merely changing the sheets as "making" it. ...but if The Dream Police ever do show up, i imagine a bigger problem would be explaining my mattress with the tag torn off.

i keep coming back to the word "hysteresis" when it comes to weight loss and especially with regard to impatience in society today. everyone expects to get immediate results. i hear the line..."how can i lose this belly fat? .... by the weekend". advertised diet plans don't help either. nearly every one of them "guarantees" a fast path to losing weight. IT DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT...!

motivation is difficult to maintain without visible results and i can't think of a less probable outcome when it comes to literally losing those first few pounds and establishing a trend.

btw... i brush my teeth more than once a day, but i don't believe i've made my bed in well over a year, ...unless you count merely changing the sheets as "making" it. ...but if The Dream Police ever do show up, i imagine a bigger problem would be explaining my mattress with the tag torn off.

Nice reply dude and a sensible one too! I have literally hundreds of weight loss programs I have developed for people over the years and your right everyone wants immediate results ( As you said it doesn't happen) a rightly so... Long term Habit changing and personal discipline have always maintained a steady decrease in body change for people I have developed programs for.... You mentioned losing those first few pounds! that is almost guaranteed on a weight loss program ( its water)... Nice to see you brush your teeth buddy lol.. make a habit of making your bed though :);)

Back