Is anybody proficient enough to use their skills in a real situation??

We dont do much standup work and no punching/kicking. We do occasionally work a takedown/submission from standing and blocking a strike.

RAGE is the biggest factor in my opinion.

I've always heard that you should never attack in anger.

Unless you're attacking a complete n00b I suppose =/

We dont do much standup work and no punching/kicking. We do occasionally work a takedown/submission from standing and blocking a strike.

Imho you're missing most of the curriculum of actual fighting. In a real situation it may even put you in more danger if you try to use what you know. If you do a takedown and get the guy to the ground, you're in a world of trouble if he has friends nearby.

I've always heard that you should never attack in anger.

Unless you're attacking a complete n00b I suppose =/

I think he's talking about aggression and determination, which is essential and very different from uncontrolled anger and blind rage.

But at the same time, In a stand up fight, and a guy has friends, you're in a world of troubble if you don't know any grappling. Since chanses are very high one of them will grab you. And no, you can't just roundhouse kick everyone standing around you in a circle like in the movies.

I'm not saying grappling is worthless. If you get grabbed and pulled down, grappling is what's going to save you, it's a very good skill to have. But even then, imho your goal should be to get out and back up ASAP, preferably having striked, kicked or headbutted the guy on the way. Grappling skill is an essential escape tool.

In a real situation you don't want to fight on the ground. You can't see, can't move, can't defend yourself from other attackers. If you're getting attacked by two or more and one manages to pull you down, you have to outclass them by a lot to make it, if that's how the situation opens that just sucks because odds are you're going to lose. Even if you're a grappling master, kicks are going to be raining down on you, or you're going to have to grapple 2 guys at once.

The preferred way to handle multiple attackers is to move, keep them in front of you and get them lined up, and punch and kick whoever gets near. This guy does a great job of it . Getting pulled down in that situation, the mob wins, even if he's as good at grappling as boxing.

Another good thing about grappling is in a friendly environment you might need to subdue someone instead of knocking them senseless, maybe he's a friend, doesn't deserve worse, or you don't want the situation to escalate (for safety or legal reasons). Having non-violent options are great.

Lawl.

Chuck Norris is so tough, when he takes off his shirt, his opponents usually back down.
UltimateChuck.jpg

Incidentally, that's also true for me :yelrotflmao:

Last edited:
Obviously Karky left out the obligatory -

Unless you are Chuck Norris. :D

Ahh, how could I? I deserve a roundhouse kick in the butt :p

And yeah I agree that in multiple oponent situation, you need to stay on your feet. It's great to be able to throw someone quickly if they get too close, but if you get down, it's a split second and all of the mob will be stepping on you. Best chanse is to move so you don't get surrounded. Keep the attackers in front of you where you can see all of them. If you see one is in a position where you can attack (just for a second, a swiff kick or something) without the others interfering, then go for it.

Also, with multiple oponents, chanses are you will loose no matter what you do. The best chanse you have is to scare them, you have to show them you are friggin crazy. Best way to do this, unfortunatly, is to hurt one of them in such a way the the others won't dare to attack. It's usually one who first comes (the leader, the tought guy) there are always doubters. If you deal with this first guy swiffly and effectivly, hurting him, the doubters will soon doubt even more. That is your best chanse. Only do this if the attackers are out to seriously hurt you though. If they just want to give you a scare, push you around a bit, etc. It's usually best to just let them, since violence from you then will only escalate the situation. But then again, it's hard to tell if they want to kill you or just tell you they think you're an idiot :p

If you're going against multiple opponents who have intent to kill, and if you can't run, you're probably already dead.

Nicolas provided a good example of keeping distance and having the attackers set up so they come at you one at a time...although those idiots should have taken a hint the first time and regrouped or something.

The biggest asset you can have is resourcefulness. And maybe a gun. Or a stick of dynamite.

Remember that video of the bald guy who rips his shirt off and starts beating down on those four opponents. That was bad ass. Only one actually tried to fight back and the others just took a few to the face.

This is how its done:

Last edited:
Lol that's funny!

Many years ago, my then gf snuck up on me and shot me in the ear with a water pistol, it went right in and hit the eardrum, by pure reflex I kicked her in solar plexus. She wasn't impressed.

although those idiots should have taken a hint the first time and regrouped or something.

Yeah but most people develop tunnel vision when the adrenaline kicks in. They don't stop and think about tactics but just charge forward. Victims struggle futilely over the knife against a stronger assailant instead of kneeing him in the groin. That's another benefit of MA training, you're much more likely to avoid kicking into that stupid, instinctive fight-or-flight mode.

If you're going against multiple opponents who have intent to kill, and if you can't run, you're probably already dead.

Nicolas provided a good example of keeping distance and having the attackers set up so they come at you one at a time...although those idiots should have taken a hint the first time and regrouped or something.

The biggest asset you can have is resourcefulness. And maybe a gun. Or a stick of dynamite.

No human body is faster than a bullet or an explosion from a piece of dynamite, unless you are Chuck Norris.....I must....Bow........

If you can escape and survive or not is not really the question IMO, because you will try to defend yourself nomatter what.

If two people attack you and try to kill you, you might get out of it. The chanses depend greatly on how skilled they are an if they have weapons. Ofcource, if there are more attackers, there's even less of a chanse.

I think that your ability to think a bit strategical will come into play. Where to run, lure your oponent into a position where you can use your surroundings against him/her, etc.

This is sucky to know. I wish martial arts would do brilliant things because then the otherwise physically defenceless like me could stand a chance! :p I'm physically weak, clumsy, have poor reflexes and few skills... I guess even if martial arts worked a treat I still wouldn't be good but at least martial arts alleged to give the smaller opponent the edge.

You're pretty much screwed then. You'll never be a ninja, but at least martial arts can help you overcome some of your physical shortcomings, since you'll learn how your body moves.

Here's a tip: If you get the chanse, knee someone in their tail bone. That's right, you heard be, tailbone. If anyone here has ever hurt their tailbone they will know what I'm talking about, they won't be able to walk propperly, let alone run, for sevral days! :D

And I think martial arts can give a smaller weaker person the advantage, atleast against untrained thugs. That's exactly what sevral martial arts are about, like jujitsu (what I used to do) none of the techniques require you to be bigger and stronger than your oponent, they are made so smaller guys can take on big guys in close combat grappling. Ofcource, if you're a 150 lbs guy against someone whos 250, you're kinda screwed, unless he doesn't know how to fight at all, and you're very good.

Last edited:
Of course you can use it in real life. That's why you train and drill the techniques over and over...so they become second nature. Anyone who says it makes little difference is foolish. Strength and size are definite factors in fight, but certainly not necessarily the determining factors.

I also have to disagree that rage will make you win a fight. This only works if the opponent is unskilled and your antics scare the shiat out of him., in fact if you go against a skilled person it will work against you because you will make mistakes. Why do you think boxers trash talk so much...they know another fighter isn't scared by talk, but they might get mad and be less technical.

As far as the most devastating place to strike I'll have to quote my old Kenpo instructor's father (who by the way beat the hell out of 3 guys who tried to rob him when he was in his 60's) "I've hit a lot of men and I never had one get up after I hit him in the throat."

Why do you think boxers trash talk so much...they know another fighter isn't scared by talk, but they might get mad and be less technical.

I don't think so. There's a lot of self confidence involved in boxing. If you suffer a small defeat there, show a bit of weakness, a fake smile, a weak comeback, a bit of doubt creeps in, that takes the top of your performance.

It's like 2 rival males of any species, they're going to size each other up, play tough, parade around. Most of the time, they decide based on this who is tougher and the underdog just walks away. I think humans get the same psychological reaction, but the difference is boxers are forced to fight, and we're not completely victim to our instincts. But those instincts are still there, and the trash talk and posing just might make the difference between who has to battle that "you're gonna lose and should just get out of here and let him have the females" feeling.

It's a lot more about establishing a sense of superiority than trying to make someone mad.

Back