Is 53 and "moderate shape" too old to start RE-BUILDING my body?

I'm 53. In pretty good shape, if not a bit soft. I'm a former distance runner, so I've lost any bulk I may have built up over the past several years. I need to change my skinny arms, lift my soft chest and correct my slumping posture.

Is there a way I can REBUILD? I'm willing to do the work, invest in the proper food & supplements, but I need some direction and motivation.

Anyone want to take on a "Renovation Project"?

Thank you.

It's never to late to build, trim, or chisel your body. Age can make it harder, mostly through the condition the body has currently become over time, but your preferred end result can still be achieved, whether your 20 or 50.

There's never a bad time to start exercising again, no matter where you're starting from. I currently know a 53 year old woman doing the same bodybuilding program as me and its working nicely. It really just depends on how much effort you really want to put in, that goes for the nutrition as well. :)

Agreed! It is truly never too late strengthen your body. It's a MUST. There are physiological declines with age but with consistent exercise (ESPECIALLY resistance training) and proper nutrition, you can dramatically retard these declines.

Start light of course if you choose to lift weights - but even before that, I'd suggest strengthening your body by means of body calisthenic exercises. They not only build functional strength but really encourage the co-development of muscle groups, both major and minor, as opposed to only weight-lifting where you train your muscles to move in an isolated manner.

You should check this guy out:

I live by both his books, Combat Abs and Combat Conditioning. Love em both!

Enjoy!

Age is a number and old is a mindset! Good Luck and today is as good as any to begin living healthier and happier.

Triaffect-Fitness

Kim,

It's doable! I would recommend starting with a trainer who can coach you in at-home workouts with little or no equipment necessary. That way, you can build up strength, tone your muscles, and trim down excess fat without having to trek into a gym (especially if fitness is a new endeavor for you). However, an "online" trainer will still provide the expertise, motivation, and accountability that you might need. Better still if the trainer is a certified health coach and can offer nutrition advice for you to put into practice in conjunction with an exercise regimen -- nutrition is half the battle!

Here's one example of an online health coach who could provide you with at-home, body-weight exercises and supplemental diet tips:

Good luck

Back