Inexperienced Dieter

Status
Not open for further replies.

smh2714

Hi there! I am new to this site, so let me introduce myself. My name is Sarah, and I am a college student still in my teens. I am currently going through my first year away for school, and have unfortunately been putting on the infamous "Freshman 15." I am 5'4" and currently 147 lbs., and while I know this isn't an extreme weight by any means, it is still the heaviest I have ever been. I would like to get down to 130 lbs before summer. Because I am away for school, I don't know very many people in the area, and have very little support to help me stay on track. I am already fairly active as I have to walk from my apartment to class everyday and I work in a fast-paced job, but that is as far as my exercise routine goes. If anyone has any advice as to where I should start out that would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Sarah and welcome to the forum. Starting out before your weight gets really out of hand is never a bad idea. Exercise is great and can help a lot with staying on track but the biggest part of weightloss, in the long run, is going to be what you eat. So... what do you eat? Do you plan ahead, skip meals, count calories, get hungry, drink soda/juice/alcohol, binge, snack a lot, control your portions..? The more you know about what you´re doing right now the easier it is to find things you could cut back on without feeling deprived.

Hey, thanks for replying! I have some food allergies as well, so I typically just eat whatever they serve me in the cafeteria or snack in my room. I also drink juice a bit more now than I used to, skip breakfast at times, and I have encountered the newer issue of social eating. I will say that what they serve at my college is usually fairly healthy and will often be a protein, veggie, and carb. However, I find it especially hard to control portions because I am not the one who makes my plate because of Covid protocols, and I'm not exactly sure what I should be eating anyways to help me feel full while staying within a calorie limit. I suppose the question I should be asking is what are some good foods to keep me feeling full while still being low in calorie?

Generally (non-starchy) veggies and leaner protein sources are going to give you the most satiation-bang for your calorie buck. Doesn´t mean carbs or fat are bad for you, just that if they make up the bulk of your meals it´s harder to stick to your calories and still be full.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back