IM OVER 500lb!! TIME TO GO FROM OBESE TO BEAST!!

JamalsJourney

Hey folks! My name is Jamal. I'm 32, 6 foot 2, grossly obese, and ready to transform!

I've created this thread to keep a record of my fitness journey. Long story short; my objective is to go from OBESE TO BEAST, and to record the progress along. On Day 1 (Oct 17 2021), I weighed 503.4lb (228kg). My goal is to lose a whopping 250lb in under 1 year (if possible), and hit my target weight of 250lb without surgery. I will be recording a video diary log every Sunday, and sharing my fitness journey on Youtube.

503.4lb - Start weight (Oct 17 2021)
488.6lb - Current weight (October 24 2021)
14.8lb - Weight Lost since last week
14.8lb - Total weight loss (After 1 week)

Please Subscribe on youtube and support me there also :). This is a mountain of a challenge, and probably the hardest thing i'll ever do! Anyway, thank you for reading, and hope to interact with you all soon. All the best! - Jamal

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Jamal & welcome to the forum. New members are not permitted to add links, I'm sorry. I watched your 1st video & felt it helped me get to know you a bit better. Unfortunately, it goes against forum rules.
I am glad that you have decided to make changes & become healthier. I admire your courage. I really hope that you will find the support you need & the strength & determination you will need from within. You should find a good cheer squad here. Go you!
Let us know in your diary how you have changed your diet. Are you counting calories, doing low carb......

Last edited:

This is where it all begins! For the first time in my life I weighed myself and was in the 500lb range. Oof! Hopefully this will be the first AND last time too!

I have a very ambitious and steep goal of losing over 250lb in under 1 year without surgury, so please share any advice and support as you have for me :). Thank you so much! - J

A very succesful first week! I maintained a calorie deficit of around 800 calories per day, and also excercised at home 5 times during the week. The results speak for themself :). Cant wait for next week!

488.6lb - Current weight (October 24 2021)
14.8lb - Weight Lost since last week
14.8lb - Total weight loss (After 1 week)

Hi, Jamal & welcome to the forum. Usually, new members are not permitted to add links but I watched your 1st video & felt it helps everyone get to know you a bit better & you are not trying to sell us anything.
I am glad that you have decided to make changes & become healthier. I admire your courage. I really hope that you will find the support you need & the strength & determination you will need from within. You should find a good cheer squad here. Go you!
Let us know in your diary how you have changed your diet. Are you counting calories, doing low carb......
Thank you so much for the kind words and warm welcome Cate! And for allowing me to share my video too, I really appreciate it. Yes, for sure next week I will share more details about my diet and excercise program. Glad to be a part of this wonderful new community! Let's keep pushing :)
Edit: video link now removed.

Jamal, I am sorry but your video link is against forum rules so will have to be deleted. Please read this- https://www.fitness.com/en/forum/threads/identification-and-reporting-of-spam.380222/#post-968670
In particular-
"Links to personal blogs, websites, twitter pages, facebook pages, and other social media sites, whether they are commercial in nature or not. This is not a place for you to promote your own sites or blogs to gain an audience, a following, or a fan club.
[Exception: You may list your website URL, your twitter page, or your Facebook link in the appropriate field in your profile, but you may not refer to it in your posts (i.e. -"see the link in my profile for more information").]"
Please don't let this stop you posting. I am sure we all want to follow your progress & cheer you on :)

Jamal, I am sorry but your video link is against forum rules so will have to be deleted. Please read this- https://www.fitness.com/en/forum/threads/identification-and-reporting-of-spam.380222/#post-968670
In particular-
"Links to personal blogs, websites, twitter pages, facebook pages, and other social media sites, whether they are commercial in nature or not. This is not a place for you to promote your own sites or blogs to gain an audience, a following, or a fan club.
[Exception: You may list your website URL, your twitter page, or your Facebook link in the appropriate field in your profile, but you may not refer to it in your posts (i.e. -"see the link in my profile for more information").]"
Please don't let this stop you posting. I am sure we all want to follow your progress & cheer you on :)
Heyah. Sorry, understand now. May I just post the original video back into the first thread post? The one which you said was ok because it allows others to get to know me. I wont post any other links after that :)

Welcome to the forum @JamalsJourney it looks like your on your way to a good start. Unfortunately with links by new members if we allow exceptions for one, we end up with a flood of spam links (not yours from what cate said). Once you have been posting here for a while you will be able to have your link.

800 is a good deficit, what sort of exercise are you doing ?

Welcome to the forum @JamalsJourney it looks like your on your way to a good start. Unfortunately with links by new members if we allow exceptions for one, we end up with a flood of spam links (not yours from what cate said). Once you have been posting here for a while you will be able to have your link.

800 is a good deficit, what sort of exercise are you doing
Thank you trusylver! I appreciate the warm welcome :). Can you shed some light on how many posts, or how much time must past before new members can post links?

Im starting off easily, and did a 30 minute home circuit workout. I did this 5 times this week. The split was 1 minute excercise, 1 minute rest. It consists of 15 different body weight excercises such as jumping jacks, squats, sit ups, push ups, cruches, leg raises etc :)

Additionally, new members may not post links until they have made 10 other legitimate posts on the board. (This directive is straight from the Owner/Admin.) if you are a new member and have 10 posts or fewer, the moderators will remove links from your posts. If you post 10 garbage posts or one liners just to get to the point to be able to post a link, your posts will be removed and you will be banned.

Sit-ups will put additional strain on your spine and over time and a lot of repetitions contribute to back pain, a better option is the McGill Curl Up

Step 1: Lie down face up on a mat. Bend your right leg up and keep foot flat on the floor. Left leg should be straight and flat on the floor.
Step 2: Place your hands under the arch in your lower back, palms down. Be sure not to flatten lower back. This is the starting position.
Step 3: Begin exercise by slowly raising your head and shoulders off the ground. Hold this position for 7-8 seconds. Be sure not to bend your lower back. Repeat as necessary and then switch legs.

a good guide is to only lift up as much as it would take to read zero on a set of scales placed under your head and shoulders.

Hi Jamal and welcome to the forum! Easy to see who you get your inspiration from and I think you picked a great role model. Tru is right about sit-ups and I'd also advise you to be careful with anything involving jumping. At 500 pounds it's easy to get hurt but hard to heal and forced inactivity due to physical injury often leads to weight regain. John's oft-repeated advice to just walk is great!
I look forward to reading along with your journey and see you succeed.

Hello Jamal. It looks as though you got off to a good start on your diet goal. How is it going?

Back