I write down what I eat

Natalie2

I found the most effective way for me is to write down everything I eat or drink either in a day planner or a sheet of paper on my desk. That really does help me, because when the lists gets too long I tend to cut back. I even include candy, gum and all theses little items that we like to forget.

That sounds like a really good idea....I am one of these people that snack a lot and forget to count all these little bits & bites.
I'll try that!

I have been using a fitness journal software online. There are a number of them available for counting calories, detailing caloric breakdown, calories burned, and a number of different things. Some are free, some are pay, and some have both (with the pay having more options available). The one I use also has a home version of it on cd-rom, but I like being able to log on from anywhere to log what I eat.

Since I have started, I've knocked out close to 2000 calories a day! :eek: I'm not perfect, but nor is the software. It is just a guide. I used to consume 4500 to 5000 calories a day. Now I am lucky if I hit 2500. Every once in a while I'll get to 3000. I also splurge every once in a while, which is bad as I don't have the time to splurge for the goals and timeframe I have.

Anyone else use these types of software? What are your thoughts? I like the one I use, although I see it more as a guide than a serious tool. I've seen some discrepancies between calories and how they are burned, along with other stuff. Just how many calories (if any) are burned when sleeping. One say none, others say various amounts.

Like I said, I figure it is at least close, so that works for me! :cool:

Good for you that you found something that works. You used to eat a lot, how did you manage to cut down so much, without feeling deprived? If your way works for you - stick with it. Using the tools available more as a guide makes sense to me. With all the info out here how can you really know what's right and what's wrong, so try to figure out what works for you. For me writing everything down would already help, although this moment I don't want to - I just consumed 5 chocolate hearts and one Ferrero Rocher:(:(:(:eek:

Natalie - did you mark all those chocolates on your list? What made you eat them. Was your 'snacktime' overdue and you needed instant energy. I believe the best way to cut out these things is to figure out when we want to eat them and then try to change the circumstances.

Hi there,

I just started my diary here in the forum and I will faithfully write down everything that goes into my mouth, down to the last mint and chewing gum.

you don't have to cut out all the good things that you like (ie. chocolate) because it'll make you want to cheat as you will get some pretty bad cravings. You are allowed to cheat about once a week ... but only once.

thats a really good idea actually. but im the type of person, if i start something i dont stick to it..kinda sad.. really.

I already posted a message on this subject, but I wanted to make sure you see it too. I found a simpler way to keep track of all I eat. I have a diet manager on my phone. I select what I eat and my phone keeps track. It counts my calories and carbs and it tells me how much I've got left for the day. Ever since I got it, I've never went above my daily limit. It's great and really helps you to cut back. The great thing is that it even gives you ideas on what to eat to get a balanced menu each day, without overdoing calories. I used to have a diary, but this is much more efficient. I know on the spot exactly what I ate and what I can still eat to be "safe". I'm strating to sound like the guy in the Wendy's commercials:), but I am hooked on it! You should try it. Oh, it's called Mobile Diet Pal and I got it from Handango. Good luck!

Back