I need to vent

steadfast_minx

Hey all, I know someone who had a surgery to help her weight loss. Although, I know surgery wouldn't be for me, if she was happy about it then good for her. Here is where I get annoyed. This person still eats awful food and doesn't work out. Why have surgery if you aren't going to change your life style. I just want to shout that at them, but I know I can't because we don't have that type of relationship. I don't know if I necessarily need a reply I just needed to vent about this.

that's actually pretty common with WLS patients..

A good doctor will make the patient go thru extensive psych counselling before having them go under the knife - not all doctors are ethical though...

Welcome to the WLF :). I work with someone who had WL surgery several years ago. She went from 450 lbs to her current 280 lbs but has not gotten below that because she readily admits she is just addicted to food. She tries to diet sometimes, then other times she just gives up I guess and eats so much food and the most unhealthy high calories things you could pick. She knows better but yet she just cant help herself either sometimes and will just eat and eat sometimes. And she definitely has had a lot of side effects and problems due to the surgery. Yet I believe she's still happy she got it as she's more than 150 lbs lighter and I know that's a far lighter load to carry around. Some of us are addicted to cigarettes, or gambling, or coffee and she is truly addicted to food. Quite sad rather than annoying, though I'm sure your person's situation is totally different and I dont mean to take away from your irritation about the whole thing. Perhaps rather than shouting you could invite her to form a WL club with you where you confer on healthy things to eat and keep yourselves accountable diet and exercise wise. She shouldn't be insulted about you approaching her to work together on losing weight since she at least knows she's very overweight.

Gastric Bypass patients are not adequately educated.

The pouch is just like any other part of your body, push on it enough and it will stretch.

I know someone who has has GP and a Stoma Phyx after, and still is eating like a pig and un-doing all that she has accomplished.

OMG, the side effects are positively VILE too. The person I work with who had this, poor thing, has CONSTANT diarreah everytime she eats practically, unless its very clean food but eating clean is a rarity so she deals with this constant stinking up the bathroom. People who have this surgery should think long and hard before proceeding.

yeah side effects can be bad, ive looked at it since loosing weight, not as a weight control, but to curb the insane hunger pangs i get which i suspect may be insulin/diabetes related.
Also it lowers your risk in cancer amoung other things.

Doubt ill do it though, but yeah its tempting :)

Back