I need to ask

Ween

I eat under 800 calories a day and work out for an hour a day, go to work and come home to bed.. school the next day. Im 17 years old and I currently went from 365- 200lbs. Im stressed and depressed all the time due too trying so hard to get those last 40-50lbs off. Im 6ft tall and Im kinda doing it for a guy.

I have a question;
Anyone else deal with this?
those who hit there goal, how long did it take you towards the end,
and were you completely satisfied.
I caught myself crying the other night, thinking that even when i get this weight off, whats the point? Ill need surgery to even look close to beautiful.
I ruined my chances.
:[ i need advice, help

You really need to spend some time reading the stickies found at the tops of the various sub-forums. Once you've invested the time in doing so, you'll see why how you're approaching this is dead wrong.

What Steve said :) But if you want the bottom line, you're eating far too little calories (unless you have some metabolic condition).

Also, you might want to get a referral to a therapist as it sounds like you may have some unresolved emotional issues you need to work through.

Last edited:
I think most people who lose that much weight feel like that sometimes. Or maybe it's just a girl thing and we're unlucky. Just remember that you're 17 so you have a lot on your side right now. I'm only 5 years older than you but since you're so young there's more of a chance that you'll bounce back faster. Losing the weight is always worth it.

What Steve said :) But if you want the bottom line, you're eating far too little calories (unless you have some metabolic condition).

Also, you might want to get a referral to a therapist as it sounds like you may have some unresolved emotional issues you need to work through.

Definitely agree with this post.

I hope a lot of people that lose weight and REALLY want a new, HEALTHY lifestyle, do it for themselves. Do it because YOU want to be healthier so you don't have to deal with a ton of health problems later on, so your weight never stops you from doing something you want to do, etc.

Not worth starving and harming yourself IMHO,

Well definitely not. 800 calories is not enough for anyone. But for some reason a lot of people get frustrated when they aren't losing weight the way they want to and then decide to just give up.

When you're overweight you should try not to think like, "Well if I'm going to need surgery in the end anyways, it's just not worth it." Wouldn't you rather be at a healthy weight than to decide against losing it because of some skin issues at the end? To me if it came between having some excess skin in the end, or staying bigger so I wouldn't have that, I would choose losing the weight. I would never cut my calories that low for it though.

Well definitely not. 800 calories is not enough for anyone. But for some reason a lot of people get frustrated when they aren't losing weight the way they want to and then decide to just give up.

When you're overweight you should try not to think like, "Well if I'm going to need surgery in the end anyways, it's just not worth it." Wouldn't you rather be at a healthy weight than to decide against losing it because of some skin issues at the end? To me if it came between having some excess skin in the end, or staying bigger so I wouldn't have that, I would choose losing the weight. I would never cut my calories that low for it though.

I'm not sure I follow but I agree with the last sentence.

I agree, and im not trying to be so stupid.
I started this diet safely.. eating the amount I needed and working out to the biggest loser cardio max 50minute video.
I never had depressional issues ethier.
They just kind of started and I guess I just tended to focus on getting it off since its been forever! and I got strict and kept cutting, lower and lower.

Hi there. Do you have emotional support from friends or your family?

You sound like you have been working hard.

What exactly are you eating? You need to make sure it is balanced, not just calorie controlled. You need to stay healthy, you need to be strong and focussed.

You say you don't want to behave stupidly with your efforts but you really are. This doesn't make you a stupid person though. Simply misguided which is easy to become with all the misinformation out there.

The way to lose fat is NOT to keep continually cutting calories. It simply isn't.

Now that you've been eating 800 calories per day and exercising, you're body most likely has adapted to a point where it's going to be extremely hard, if not impossible, to lose weight.

That's what happens. Metabolism chases intake. Problem is, you can't keep cutting calories forever or you'll die. So you end up reaching a point of intake where calories are far too low and life is far too miserable and you're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

The rock is your inability to lose more fat. The hard place is your adapted/slowed metabolism.

How long have you been eating so few calories?

I'd say estimated about 2 months..
Before then I didnt have a gym pass and thats when I was saying of how I'ed do that 1 hr work out video and eat a good 400 calorie breakfast, come home from school at 1pm eat lunch (can of soup ussually) and go to work 4-8pm and I'ed eat dinner there at 6pm-6:15pm which couldnt be what they serve there, considering it was retirement home food and its all FAT. but i usually made a big salad.

I cant really remember if I ate anything else or not..
But I was never constantly worrying about my weight, or how boring the day at the gym was going to be, or how long it was going to take.
I was energized and carefree, just letting it fall off as it went.
And now I've just become a complete freak about it.

I dont have support.
My whole life my mothers been the "Your fat, you need to loose weight"
But now I try to talk to others about it, but there arent many teens out there that gained over 300 lbs and are taking the time to loose it.
you know? Atleast they dont go online and talk about.
I guess Im just reading up on things and getting so many mixed messages.

One diet plan says no carbs,
next you need to kill yourself with excercise,
then another site tells you to eat all protein or excercise just 30 minutes a day at a slow pace.
I dont know what imformation to take in.

then I get the stories of how long it took everyone and I get depressed,
I mean it was my fault in the begining for making myself the way I am/was..
but as a young girl I'm just focusing and dreaming of that "amazing" body.
Its just sad to know that with the way the skin will be looking, that I wont accomplish that.

and I am sorry for my stupidity

I have amazing self control, no sweets, soda, fastfood and I drink nothing but crystal light with breakfast and water.
I excercise 7 days a week, 1hr after school and go to work right after my work out.
Workout = 1hr running usually.

More imformation if your interrested:

My Breakfast:
160calories worth of Special K original
8oz glass of 5calorie crystal light lemonade drinkage
and one Large Red Delicious apple

My Lunch:
120 calorie can of soup
OR
120 calories worth of Whey protein
OR
another red Delicious w/veggies
(Keep in mind its not and, and... OR as in 120 the most) <--thats my problem I believe
By the time I go to the gym I burn off wat the machines claim (900calories) and I only consumed about 400 calories in food intake.

My Dinner everynight:
Salad:
Lettuce, 1lrg cut up Green Pepper, 1/2cup onion, 1whole Tomato. No dressing.

I need help O.O

Last edited:
Well the good news is you're admitting this is a problem.

Right? You are doing this?

And the bottom line is, this is a problem.

This path, if it hasn't already, can and will lead to very unhealthy relationships with food and your body. It can and will also lead to eating disorders. I hope you haven't resorted to tactics such as binging, purging, etc.

Have you had those thoughts?

You might seriously consider speaking with a local dietitian about your options. I usually tell people to stay away from dietitians for the most part but if insurance will cover it, it may be a great investment of time in your case. They have experience with such things and will better be able to direct you than strangers on the net.

For now though, I can tell you that in order to reverse metabolic slowdown in response to under-eating, you need to let your body rest. Remove the stress you've been chronically placing on it. To do this, you need to take a break from exercise and dieting.

This is usually an immense hurdle for people in your shoes simply b/c you're sooooo focused on the scale and the very thought of gaining a pound is terrifying. That's the mindset that needs to change and I'm not about to outline how you should go about 'correcting' your metabolism until I'm sure you're ready for such a thing.

In honesty, I'd prefer you go speak with a professional as previously mentioned.

thank you

i dont think I should of started the weight loss journey.
Im just going to end up stuck now, sick.

I cant stop what Im doing.
Your telling me that If I ate atleast 1,200 calories a day and worked out for an hour, and leaving a free day of no excercise..that I couldnt be fine?

Last edited:
Nope. I'm saying you need to change your focus from fat loss to stress relief and repair/recovery.

1 or 2 steps in reverse so you can move forward again healthily.

Ween,

[1] Going from 365 to 200 lbs is a FANTASTIC accomplishment. You should feel very proud of that. You are doing great things for your health, and you'll live longer. I'm jealous.

[2] Lose weight for yourself, not others. You mention you're doing this for someone else; that can leave you unfulfilled... what if this person still makes demands of you, after you've lost the weight?

I'm not saying that the "other person" is bad. But the weight struggle you're going thru, you need to do it for YOU. Doing things to make other people happy, as opposed to making your self happy, is a very slippery slope to climb.

[3] I am no expert on this, but all the reading I'm doing indicates that 800 calories per day is a deficient number of calories for someone of your height and activity level. Yes, you will lose weight. But that quick a weight loss could lead to unhealthy side effects. I would definitely talk to a doctor or a dietician.

> It sounds like on some days, you don't eat protein powder for lunch. It seems like you might be going without your daily requirement of protein several days a week. That could lead to muscle loss. Emphasis on could... it's just something to think about.

[4] Question: why do you say you'll need surgery? For excess skin? That may or may not be a problem... many people, especially young people don't suffer that, especially if the weight loss is gradual. It may be a problem, but the excess weight is more of an issue, health-wise. Do you see signs of saggy skin now?

My advice would be, worry about one problem at a time. PS, excess skin is a better problem to have than excess weight IMO.

[5] I don't know if you're depressed or not; but you're clearly in a rut. Supplement your current activity with something that YOU want to do for yourself.

I lost 40 lbs several years ago, thru diet and exercise. At the same time, I "got into" Zen Buddhism... I was more into the Zen aspects of it. It was an exploration of spirituality that helped me with physical transformation. I'm not saying to do Zen, but perhaps doing something that talks to your soul might be useful right now.

Last edited:
I am just gonna put my 2 cents in here about the losing weight for a boy....

if he didn't like you when you were fat just because you were fat then forget it!!

he isn't worth the air you breath!!

if you aren't doing this for yourself then you're just short changing yourself in the long run!

My boyfriend loves my 256lb ass!& I'm not losing weight for him, I'm losing weight to improve MY self image, MY heath, MY athleticism, and dammit... I just want to be and feel fucking sexy!!!!!!!!!!

Alas, Steve is right babes - you need to take a break!!

Goood luck xoxoxoxoox

if he didn't like you when you were fat just because you were fat then forget it!!

if you aren't doing this for yourself then you're just short changing yourself in the long run!

My boyfriend loves my 256lb ass!& I'm not losing weight for him, I'm losing weight to improve MY self image, MY heath, MY athleticism, and dammit... I just want to be and feel fucking sexy!!!!!!!!!!

Goood luck xoxoxoxoox

I agree totally.

Goood luck xoxoxoxoox

Sorry but I have to disagree about some of what you have said. It's not always about appearances, more about health. Healthy and fit people just often are of a smaller or more toned build.

Choosing to do something about your health, which yes may drastically reduce your size, is a great way to show someone how committed you are in all sorts of areas in your life.

Whether you are in a relationship or not, caring about your body is an attractive thing. Better than putting on make up, wearing a short skirt or anything else.

It is a fantastic goal to have and to include with an already wonderful personality. At least if you are looking for a life partner, or any partner, you will be able to enjoy life fitter, healthier, and for a lot longer with them.

Just try and look at it from that perspective.

wow... I really hope you listen to some of this advice and restart your journey the RIGHT and healthy way. I know you're young and want instant results... but the truth is that it takes time... you've got to accept that and tell yourself that YOU are worth the wait. Do it for you... nobody else!

Back