I have arrived.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpdRcrChk

Hi :D ::waves::

My name is Yvette. I'm 24 years old, and live in Miami, FL. Yes.....Miami is not, contrary to popular belief, completely populated by fashion model skinnies. But there are enough of them around to depress me. LoL

I've been overweight most of my life. I've struggled, lost, regained, lost again. The sounds of small children teasing me when I was young are still very fresh in my head....it doesn't help that even some adults can be as cruel and insensitive as them either. I've arrived at a point in my life where I don't want to be this way any more, I'm fed up with myself. I want to wear cute clothes again. I want to be happy when I look in the mirror. I'm not doing this for anyone else but me.

I'm well aware that the media portrays the "ideal" woman to be very Barbie-like in figure. That's not my goal. After all, I am of Cuban descent and hispanic ladies are known to be full figured gals. But....weighing 185 and being 5'3" is still not a "good weight" for me to be at. I don't care how many Kate-Moss-like figures you show me, I'll be happy when I'm happy and I don't want to be super thin. But I WOULD like to lose....say......50-60 lbs. I know this is not much in comparison to the amount of weight other people might want to lose, but it's weight that must be lost nonetheless and i've suffered all of my life because of it. It's probably the one thing that's kept me from ever being truly happy.

So here i am. :) I hope I can find, as well as give support here.

Last edited:
Hi Yvette

Your introduction shows that you have a strong sense of who you are, good for you, that strength will come in handy along your weight loss journey. You state the best reason for loosing weight, for yourself!!!! I am new here too and am finding it great to keep me motivated, everyone is very encouraging with great ideas. This is our time, its very empowering to say, "I am in control of me and I am going to make a change". I look forward to reading about your progress, and cheer you on. Great success to you!

Thanks alot Jennifer. You know....I always see on the news about how so much of America is overweight or obese. But it all comes into a totally different perspective when you come to a place like this where you meet REAL people and read about their REAL struggles and realize that not only are you somewhere you'll be supported, but that you are not, in fact, alone. Reading some of the intro's and posts here really hit home. It's almost like I'm reading about myself. I think this place is great and I will try my very best to not only keep coming here to receive the support but to give it to, because in all honesty....IT HELPS. This is not just a physical struggle, it's mental and emotional too. :)

Hello Yvette

I am glad to see that not all women believe that you have to be a "Barbie-lool-a-like" to be in good shape. I truly believe that you can have a little meat on your bones to be healthy. I also have struggled with my weight but I am happy were I am at. I stay active and try to eat healthy foods. I walk alot and play baseball, I have a hard time going to the gym, but I try to do some exercise at home.

I would like to wish you the best of luck and let you know that you should keep up the positive attitude and this will also help you.

HI there,

welcome to the forum and Good Luck with your goals. I totally agree with you guys...personally I think to thin is just as bad - I wouldn't want to be a Barbie-Look-A-Like, just have a nice proportioned figure and be in shape.

I look forward to hearing about your progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back