Hunger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenletters

Hi everyone I am new here. I am also fairly new to the weight loss journey. I have started counting calories and the biggest challenge has been hunger particularly at night. Does anyone have any tips other than drinking water?

Depends: how many calories do you eat, how are they divided up over the day, and how much fat/protein/fiber do you eat?

Depends: how many calories do you eat, how are they divided up over the day, and how much fat/protein/fiber do you eat?
I eat around 1800 calories. Breakfast is my heaviest meal and highest in carb. I guess I get most of my fibre and protein at lunch. My dinner is very light. I admit that some of my calories goes to semi sweet snacks.

1800 kcal is a good bit to work with, that´s great! Do you know roughly how many calories you burn in a day? Having enough protein, fat, and fiber can really help with satiation. Maybe you could rearrange your calories a bit? Reduce the carbs in favor of more protein and fat? Having a slightly smaller breakfast and bigger dinner? I know they say you should have breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper, but that´s not helpful when you then can´t sleep cause you´re hungry. Also: if sweet snacks satisfy you that´s great, but when you´re trying to lose weight those calories are often better invested in larger meals or more filling snacks (like an apple with a smear of peanut butter or something). Not saying you have to do things the way I do them, I´m just telling you what comes to my mind when I see what you write. In the end everyone´s different and there´s going to be a bit of trial and error before you find what works best for you. That´s ok, just keep trying, keep adapting, and be kind to yourself.

I have had the same problem. My fix is to plan a relatively substantial evening snack into my calories. It's been a big help.

Most of my late night hunger are tied to boredom so I've found going for an evening walk keeps me busy and prevents me from feeling hungry.

1800 kcal is a good bit to work with, that´s great! Do you know roughly how many calories you burn in a day? Having enough protein, fat, and fiber can really help with satiation. Maybe you could rearrange your calories a bit? Reduce the carbs in favor of more protein and fat? Having a slightly smaller breakfast and bigger dinner? I know they say you should have breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper, but that´s not helpful when you then can´t sleep cause you´re hungry. Also: if sweet snacks satisfy you that´s great, but when you´re trying to lose weight those calories are often better invested in larger meals or more filling snacks (like an apple with a smear of peanut butter or something). Not saying you have to do things the way I do them, I´m just telling you what comes to my mind when I see what you write. In the end everyone´s different and there´s going to be a bit of trial and error before you find what works best for you. That´s ok, just keep trying, keep adapting, and be kind to yourself.
Thank you so much for the kind words and suggestions. Yeah fruits are something I have neglected to consider in this diet. Fruits should be an effective replacement for my sweet snacks. Thanks again.

I have had the same problem. My fix is to plan a relatively substantial evening snack into my calories. It's been a big help.
Oh yeah that’s a good idea actually. My plan was to eat increasingly smaller meals as the day progresses. Maybe that was the problem. I will definitely keep this in mind while planning my meals. Thanks

Most of my late night hunger are tied to boredom so I've found going for an evening walk keeps me busy and prevents me from feeling hungry.
Yeah distraction is definitely a valued tool to cope. Thanks for the suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back