Weight-Loss How to Steam Vegetables

Weight-Loss

amj4d

1- Pick your vegetables. Though technically all vegetables can be steamed (what can't be?), certain vegetables steam better than others do, and all steam at different rates. Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, asparagus, artichokes, and green beans will all turn out nicely and are standard steaming fare.[1] But if you want to get creative, throw in some potatoes or radishes, too! Here's a brief rundown on steaming times:[2]
Asparagus: 5 to 8 minutes
Broccoli: stalks for 7 minutes, florets for 5
Carrots: 10 to 15 minutes, depending on size
Cauliflower: stalks for 7 minutes, florets for 5 (whole head 15-25 minutes)
Corn on the cob: 8 to 10 minutes
Green beans: 4 to 6 minutes
Potatoes, cubed: 10 to 15 minutes
Spinach: 2 to 3 minutes

2- Prepare your vegetables. While certain greens are easy to just get out of the fridge, give a quick rinse-down, and toss in the pan, some need preparing. You would not put an entire pumpkin in a steamer, would you?
Carrots take much less time the smaller they are cut up; the same goes for cauliflower and potatoes. Use your logic when it comes to certain vegetables like asparagus, where the tips should be cut off beforehand. The vegetables need to be in their ready-to-eat form on steaming.

3- Devise some equipment. If you have a legitimate steamer, great! Throw some water in that bad boy and stop reading this page. However, if you don't, you have several methods/devices/tricks of the trade at your disposal:
A steamer is a pot of water with a bowl/basket/container on top with holes in the bottom. If you have a colander that is heat resistant or some pan that fits this description that does not touch the bottom of the pot with water (otherwise that is just boiling), that can be used as a steamer. You will need a lid to put on it, too.
Use the microwave. All you need for this is a microwave-safe dish and some plastic wrap.
You can improvise the steaming method by just using a pan with a matching lid. All you do is add a bit of water to the vegetables and count on the steam to do most of the job. Some nutrients will seep into the water, though, yes, so this method isn't ideal.

4- Bust out your steamer. Begin by bringing 2 cups (16 oz) of water to a boil over a high heat. Once the water begins to boil, close the steamer to allow its internal temperature to build.
"Closing the steamer" here meaning put the lid on the top pan, which is resting on the pan filled with water. This is similar to a double boiler or bain marie.

5- Add the vegetables. After the steamer has been covered for a minute, add your chosen vegetables, prepared and ready to go. Make sure to keep them in separate groups; this will make them easier to remove when they finish, as each one cooks at a different time.

6- After a minute and a half, prick all the vegetables with a knife to test them.The green ones should be closer to done than the others. If they seem ready, which they should just about be, the steaming is done!

7- Remove just the green vegetables. If you are working with cauliflower, carrots, potatoes, or corn, you may need more time. Whenever your vegetables are done, place them onto a tray lined with paper towels to drain.
Of course, the best test is a taste test. Your vegetables should be firm, but tender.

8- Season and serve. Transfer all your steamed vegetables onto a serving platter. Season to taste with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Your vegetables are now ready to serve.
They go wonderfully with any meat, can be served with a cheese or herb sauce, or even just as they are. Since steaming is so healthy, it is best not to load them up with extra fixings -- they are delicious and nutritious as is!

Thanks! This is very thorough and helpful...I'm going to try cooking my vegetables this way tonight :)

My wife steams vegetables in our microwave. She puts the raw vegetables in a large bowl, adds 1/4 cup of water. Cover with plate, & microwave on high 3-5 minutes depending how firm you like your veggies. Season & serve.

you don't mention any squash... zucchini is one of my favorites. right now i'm on a zucchini, carrot and broccoli kick... very colorful. i steam them, but then i often sprinkle some olive oil on and throw them under the broiler for a few minutes.

spaghetti squash is a great steaming vegetable, but done a little differently. i'm sure a YouTube demo is only a few keystrokes away.

sometimes i use the steaming criteria to solve the "is it a fruit or a vegetable?" question. you wouldn't steam an avocado or a cucumber and so they are likely (and actually are) fruits. still can't figure out tomatoes, though.

Back