How to replace foam parts on obsolete inversion machine?

I've run out of options here. I bought a nice inversion machine in 1984 called a Backswing. It's still in great condition aside from a few foam pieces that clamp around the ankles. They have rotted a bit and some of the metal edges jab me through them.

Backswing (formerly of the City of Industry, CA) went out of business decades ago and I can find no trace of a successor. Some of the pieces on certain Teeter models look like possible matches for a couple of the parts I need but the company refuses to sell parts to me unless I produce a receipt for one of their machines. I've tried foam stores but they say that these parts are injection molded and much denser than the stock they have. This material is either a really dense foam, rubber, neoprene, or something else with roughly the density and pliability of silicone.

I've called exercise machine repair places without any luck. I hate to junk such a nice device with its padded back and sturdy chrome for want of a few pieces of rubber. Google, eBay, craigslist - no help. Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing it? Doesn't have to be pretty at this point.

Can you post a picture? How thick is the foam? Is it adhesive backed?

Can you post a picture? How thick is the foam? Is it adhesive backed?

Attached. Pictures show the parts needing repair/replacement. Cylindrical piece is about 0.5" thick with 0.5" diameter inside bore. Ankle cups are varying thickness up to 1.5". Not adhesive backed. Thanks!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 484
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 666
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 440
On the ankle cuffs, is there a cuff shaped metal backing that the rubber attaches too? Or is the rubber so sturdy that entire cuff front and back is just rubber?

On the ankle cuffs, is there a cuff shaped metal backing that the rubber attaches too? Or is the rubber so sturdy that entire cuff front and back is just rubber?

Yes, there is a cuff-shaped metal backing. What holds the rubber in place is two metal rods that pass through holes in one side of the metal, through the rubber, then back out through the metal again.

I had to rejoin to answer this. I'm afraid not. That looks like it slides onto the end of the Teeter, but the Backswing has a stop welded onto the end that would prevent that. And the Backswing main bar would have to be an exact match for this one, but the Teeter has the holes on the side where Backswing has them on top.

Back