How to incorporate HIIT into my workouts?

Hi, I've been doing steady cardio four times a week for a while now, and am thinking of adding an HIIT session per week just to spice up my workouts. I've started by alternating between 4mph and 8mph (doing 2 minutes on each) seven times. It usually adds up to less than 3 miles in total, so I continue doing steady cardio to complete the 5 miles I usually do. But I end up feeling really tired afterwards and my muscles are sore for the entire week. Should I be doing something different? My legs are sore after 30 minutes of interval training, but if I stop, I feel like I'm exercising less than I usually do (I'll be doing 18 miles a week instead of 20 miles). Should I include interval training as a separate session in addition to my steady cardio sessions (ie. do one session of interval training as well as 4 sessions of steady cardio per week?)

You do understand that the idea behind HIIT is doing more work in less time, no?

Yes, but there's also the idea that the amount of calories you burn is only related to the distance you run, not the speed you run at. Is HIIT an exception?

Okay, all right. Another thing, though: After 30 minutes of intervals, my muscles feel tired but I feel like I can still run some more. Should I increase the intensity of my workout?

Yes I don't see why you shouldn't. However if you do feel like you're pushing yourself too far, pull it back a bit.

edeneadams,

I suggest you read the HIIT sticky at the beginning of this sub-forum. It will explain a lot of the complexities of 'High Intensity Interval Training'.

Back