how to get some disipline?!

Alright I have struggled with this my whole adult life. Basically if food or booze is in front of me, I just binge on it. With booze, day or night, if it's in front of me I'll drink 'til it's gone or I pass out, and pretty much the same with junkfood and carbs in general-if they're in front of me I stuff my face.

Now I have my own place and have been gone from the parent's house for a few yrs now. At my place there's only healthy whole foods, and I eat/drink uber clean. But when I go to friend's houses for parties, or back to the parent's house, I just binge on everything, wtf! It happens everytime, and everytime it destroys any progress I've made. I've been trying to cut for a couple yrs and the progress is pathetic because of this.

So how do I develop some discipline? I'm turning into a hermit over here-I recognize putting myself into those situations with other ppl make me drink/eat, so I don't put myself into those situations....I have no cravings for alcohol or carbs otherwise...or very rarely so. I think it has to do with society a bit too-like why when people get together is there always the need for junk/booze?!?

I've told ppl that this is the reason why I don't come to their events, but they don't think I'm serious and I get the "you don't need to lose weight" spiel. But they're all overweight, so their perception is skewed too. (just to clarify I am wanting to lose bf, not necessarily weight-this point is lost on most ppl around me)

Frankly I don't know what to do really, besides avoidance. Open to ideas/thoughts though!

Matt

Last edited:
Sorry, no help from me. Other than the booze I'm in the same boat. If it's free booze I drink though.

Alright I have struggled with this my whole adult life. Basically if food or booze is in front of me, I just binge on it. With booze, day or night, if it's in front of me I'll drink 'til it's gone or I pass out, and pretty much the same with junkfood and carbs in general-if they're in front of me I stuff my face.

Now I have my own place and have been gone from the parent's house for a few yrs now. At my place there's only healthy whole foods, and I eat/drink uber clean. But when I go to friend's houses for parties, or back to the parent's house, I just binge on everything, wtf! It happens everytime, and everytime it destroys any progress I've made. I've been trying to cut for a couple yrs and the progress is pathetic because of this.

So how do I develop some discipline? I'm turning into a hermit over here-I recognize putting myself into those situations with other ppl make me drink/eat, so I don't put myself into those situations....I have no cravings for alcohol or carbs otherwise...or very rarely so. I think it has to do with society a bit too-like why when people get together is there always the need for junk/booze?!?

I've told ppl that this is the reason why I don't come to their events, but they don't think I'm serious and I get the "you don't need to lose weight" spiel. But they're all overweight, so their perception is skewed too. (just to clarify I am wanting to lose bf, not necessarily weight-this point is lost on most ppl around me)

Frankly I don't know what to do really, besides avoidance. Open to ideas/thoughts though!

From someone who's struggled with weight issues my whole life, i can offer a small bit advice.

You have to want to make this change enough to consciously decide to NOT sabotage yourself and learn to say the biggest two-letter word known.. "No"

If you know that the foods you like and the drinks you like are going to be around wherever you're going to be, mentally prepare yourself before you get there.

And don't deny yourself, just cut back on the amount. This is easier said than done, but again, it's a decision on your part to make the plan and then stick with it.

This is a tough road, but you do not journey alone. I'm traveling the same road with ya.. :)

for every beer you have drink a big ass glass of water before getting another beer. You'll feel so full you won't want to drink much beer.

So basically I'm gonna have to put myself into those situations to try to resist and get some disipline lol, ahh! Wish I could just take a disipline pill. It's tough not to want it :-\

Matt

lol, it is a dance with the devil himself!! you can't just give up eating, yousss gots'ta dance.

I did some dancin' last night. Bought some vodka, but I just bought a micky so I knew I wouldn't have access to any more than that. I actually only drank 1/2 of it, with lots of water like was suggested. I was feeling "pretty good," and at 407 calories didn't totally destroy my diet. The thought of having something to eat came accross my mind a couple times, but I managed to "NO" it away lol. I hadn't had a drink in a couple weeks, and with my caloric restriction I think I'm far more sensitive to the alcohol now. Heck 1/2 a micky and I was pretty far gone haha. Normally I would have devorered a 26'r plus some junky food...plus I'm feeling fine today. So :thumbsup:

Matt

ive always eaten heavily but i luv cheese and when my doc said i had to stop eating full stop, i had a rough time at the start, i kept wanting cheese but i taught myself that whenever i had some i was going to be unhealthy and it would do me no good, this made me stop in my tracks

Yeah maybe some pics of tubby ppl not caring about their bodies might be something to stick somewhere to get a mental picture when I get tempted ..hmm

Matt

it sounds weird but it does work, like my dad takes it a bit extreme but it is effective, when he sees a bar of chocolate he thinks of art disease, this is probably a bit extreme for most, but i havent seen him anywhere near chocolate since he started - but remember everything in moderation

It's said that it takes one month to change a habit. If you stay healthy for a month I bet it will get easier, as you body and mind gets used to your new lifestyle.

Well so much for disipline, and I was doing so good too. I was torpedo'd. My company has sent me to Montreal, and the darn Hotel is crap. It's a $20 cab ride to get anywhere, no fridge, no microwave. So the only food available is restaurant/delivery. So pizza and cookies on the menu yesterday. I would like to go to a grocery store, but it'll be $40 there and back with the cab, frig. Those would be some expensive cans of tuna lol. Only here until tomorrow I hope tho, hopefully I'll make it without binging too much on crap!

Matt

Well so much for disipline, and I was doing so good too. I was torpedo'd. My company has sent me to Montreal, and the darn Hotel is crap. It's a $20 cab ride to get anywhere, no fridge, no microwave. So the only food available is restaurant/delivery. So pizza and cookies on the menu yesterday. I would like to go to a grocery store, but it'll be $40 there and back with the cab, frig. Those would be some expensive cans of tuna lol. Only here until tomorrow I hope tho, hopefully I'll make it without binging too much on crap!

Matt

Matt, you *do* need to learn some discipline...lol

You can call or ask at the restaurant, and se if they can alter things on their menu so it isn't all garbage....Common' don't be lazy....:rolleyes:

Every restaurant has foods that you can eat, you just have to make the effort....:costumed:

As Neon said, you have to *want* it, really want it if you expect to reach goals....

Montreal? As in Quebec?

I can drive down there in about an hour and beat some discipline into you if you like. :violent:

Half a mickey of vodka and some pizza with a side order of cookies is worthy of a beating. :yelrotflmao:

The restaurants don't control what you eat - you do. :boxing_smiley:

You say you are there for about 1-2 days - what reason do you have to not have made your own, healthy, lunch?

Ideas/Thoughts? I'll give you facts instead:

1- Eat clean.
2- Workout regularly.
3- Be consistent.

If you have the capacity to count to 3, you can become fit.

Can you count to 3?

If we go easy on you, I feel you will fail.

So, put your **** together and stop this pizza and cookies BS.

yeah, Quebec! I finally made it back, that couple days turned into a week. I do need some beatings :-\ I did manage to score some rides to the grocery stores so I did get to eat somewhat ok-precooked chicken breasts, but not like being at home. I already told my company I'll not be going again unless I'm at a different hotel-the one beside a grocery store, with a fridge! So I did gain some weight, but not too bad. Back on the wagon today-pretty amazing even after only 1/2 a day of real food how much better you feel :-O

Matt

Back