How long until you see results ?

I have been weight training/lifting since October of last year. I have seen results from my legs ( My thighs can move an extra 50 lbs than before ) but my shoulders and arms do not seem to have really improved. My triceps feel stronger but my biceps are still thin ( in width ) and weak. I'm almost 14 and that makes me scared because I want to have stronger muscle than I hqve now. I will admit I don't work my upper body as much as I have my legs but I have for a few weeks. Any tips on getting them stronger ? Should I take more time and just wait ?

Some threads started by Goldfish, one of the best generic training advisors you will encounter.
Definitely worth reading his stuff and trying it.
General advise
http://training.fitness.com/young-athlete-development/general-training-tips-teens-49032.html
Program
http://training.fitness.com/young-athlete-development/young-athlete-development-program-50627.html

We would need to know more about your routine and eating habits to help you with that. You can be lifting weights all day and not getting bigger because you aren't eating enough, or you could be eating enough, but not training correctly.

We would need to know more about your routine and eating habits to help you with that. You can be lifting weights all day and not getting bigger because you aren't eating enough, or you could be eating enough, but not training correctly.

i usually eat food with lots of protein in it ( chicken, peanuts, peanut butter, etc. ) and lots of bread ( whole weat i think ). But I also eat junk food. I put my self on a diet since yesterday that cuts out all of my junk food and puts in fruits and some veggies. For my work out, i do as many reps as I can before my muscle start to really hurt. I do a few more sets of it but that's it. I don't know the names of the machines.

i usually eat food with lots of protein in it ( chicken, peanuts, peanut butter, etc. ) and lots of bread ( whole weat i think ). But I also eat junk food. I put my self on a diet since yesterday that cuts out all of my junk food and puts in fruits and some veggies. For my work out, i do as many reps as I can before my muscle start to really hurt. I do a few more sets of it but that's it. I don't know the names of the machines.

You need to be more specific than that. If you're going to the gym and doing bench and curls five days a week, you're cutting against the grain. What's your routine like? What do you do on what days? What's your caloric intake? Are you burning more than you're taking in? That's how you lose weight. All these things are very important. Eating a ton of protein isn't going to make you any bigger or cut than eating a "normal" amount of protein. Your body is only going to absorb what it needs. As far as lifting goes, it's not about going to failure every time. Doing 5 quality reps is going to get you much further than 15 terrible ones.

How long to see results ?
There is of course some variance in people do to genetic potential ---- BUT, as a rule of thumb
If you have a properly structured routine (diet and training), then you should certainly see obvious and noticeable changes in 16 weeks.

MICHAEL SPITZER - AUTHOR - FITNESS at 40,50,60 AND BEYOND

Back