How far should I aim to run?

I'm still a beginner but I can keep going for 2kms+ which translates into a 15min jog. Not much but Im pretty happy because a few weeks ago I couldn't jog 300m down the street without having to stop! So just Im wondering what a good distance would be to aim for per day with one rest day per week.

I was kinda thinking of changing it up every day. 3km jog one day the 1km run the next.. Something like that?

Any advice?

Running everyday, especially for a newb is not advisable. Try starting with maybe 3x/week. Do other things on off days - weight training, cycling, swimming, etc.

And I wouldn't aim for distance as a measurement but time. If you're out of shape, start with mayeb 30 minutes and progress up slowly (adding about 10-15%/week). Do a 5-10 minute warm up, do your workout, then a 5-10 minute cool down. Once you get acclimated, build a good base, and into a routine, start researching things like high intensity interval training, hills, etc. - basically, build in some intensity but not too much.

Best of luck.

Running is very good for health. You can also try cycling or swimming. These are very beneficial exercise for our body. It is good that keep jogging 2 kms+ in 15 mins. The speed of running will increase day by day. You don't have to increase it by yourself.

The advice here is good. Variety in training will help you physically and mentally, so if you can introduce other activities do so.
If you can't or don't want to do activities other than running there is no rule saying you have to do so, but accept that by limiting yourself this way it will slow your progress as your body becomes easily used to single style training.

My normal system is have 2 sets of targets, safe, achievable with work and ridiculous. The reason for this is my desire to continuously improve in various ways or at least add new abilities without losing too much of others, and it does work.
When starting out keep the short term goal enjoyment and routine, which is easiest with set time and allowing distance to increase as per da troof. It also makes it easy to set some long terms and potentially ridiculous goals as long as you remember what they are.
So you can have a route which increases in distance easily and keep doing this 30 minutes at a time even if the last part is walked in the short term, giving you the initial target of consistant running for the full 1/2 hour. Then have a route that you would like to do in half an hour at some point as your ridiculous target. It could take a year or more but if you hit that ridiculous target it will feel awesome to realise that what seem impossible is now within reach, and of course you will then set another one and look forward to doing it again.

That relies on individual's physical fitness and health. Running isn't for everyone, but it's one of the best workouts you can do for your heart, your body and to get rid of extra calorie consumption. Wait 2 to 4 hours after a large food before you run. Start with a quick 10-minute stroll and then different Half a minute of running with one moment of walking about 3 days per 7 days.

I agree with running for time. You can do a walk run combination to go for a longer time. I have tried a couple beginner programs and I really liked the couch to 5k program and the ones in the back of the book "running for mortals". Check out some reputable running magazines or websites. Most of them have some sort of training plan for the beginner.

Go to Runners World website and use one of their training plans. You can't go wrong . . .

thanks a lot for suggestion.. i visited there.. and found some really good stuff.. as beginner i am running 4 round of 500 meters and the it is taking 7 min..
Am i going right as a beginner ?

You don't say what your goals are, so it's difficult to advise you from that.
But as a beginner, as somebody mentionned, you should probably aim for no more than 3 times a week.
In terms of length, especially if weight loss is one of your goals, at least 35 mins.
Remember that when you're starting out though, it's perfectly ok to alternate jogging with walking, even if that means 10 mins of jogging and 2 mins of walking (1 min jog, 2 min walk ;repeat 10 times, and finish with a 5 min brisk walk).

What I think is when you are doing exercises there are no limit. You can do until you fed up. But remember too much of exercises are also not good for our body. So just stick to 1 hour. If you want to run do it for 1 hour per day. If you want more then you can run for 1 hour in the morning and the next 1 hour in the afternoon or night.

Yes, if you are _enjoying yourself_! I have seen too many runners with such a look of misery. Keep a log and track your progress. Do you have a friend to run with? That always helps.
Just pace yourself and work towards a goal . . .
Pete

I run 3 kilometers a day. I do it for 3 months now I am happy that I can run everyday. I think for the beginners like me it is good. Don't run too far and fast. Just enjoy running and take some rest if you feel tired. Running is my hobby now and I'm loving it. I lose 10 pounds in running daily.

I would also suggest running for time and like someone else mentioned as a beginner try not to do too much too soon as you're likely to pick up injuries due to overuse of muscles/joints that aren't used to being used so frequently. Variations is also key as not to get bored.

There are a number of reasons to run, weight loss is one a number go for but in fairness failing to vary training when aiming for this will mean very slow progress.
Running is a good part of a general exercise regime. Distance is personal. I have done marathons because I was able to do these comparatively easily. Now weighing 1.5 times as much as I did back then I am happy doing a few just over 5 milers and an interval a week.
There is no perfect distance. If you want to be a sprinter 10 mile runs would be totally worthless. If you want to run a marathon they will be very normal.
If you are in pain after 2 miles or even 1, don't go that far it would be stupid to do so.
If you enjoy sprints, do them, steady long jogs, do them.

Running mainly depends on stamina, stamina depends on your body's capacity - how much it can tolerate. In human its about fitness of body because stamina is everyday changing thing, if everyday you are doing same thing then your body becomes used to it and then its capacity to do that thing increases day by day. So don't worry, you can run long way by time, if going on run regularly. And running is also good for our health and fitness.

if you are interested only in increasing your fitness then miles a week is probably the maximum mileage you need to run. You can, of course, maintain a good level of fitness on much less. In my opinion If running is your main exercise, you should aim to run 3-4 times a week, in order to reap the full health benefits.

it depends!

I'm still a beginner but I can keep going for 2kms+ which translates into a 15min jog. Not much but Im pretty happy because a few weeks ago I couldn't jog 300m down the street without having to stop! So just Im wondering what a good distance would be to aim for per day with one rest day per week.

I was kinda thinking of changing it up every day. 3km jog one day the 1km run the next.. Something like that?

Any advice?

Depends on a few things.
How old are you"
What kind of shape are you in?
Do you have any medical issues to interfere?

Once that is sorted out, and if you "qualify" as capable, I'd recommend the "Couch to 5K" training program. 5K won't require too much time and it's short enough that if you need to do a repeat route, it won't be too boring.
Being "5K Capable" opens the whole world of running!
Pete

My DH and I started running last year; we start by doing 1 km run and upgrade it after few weeks. You will also need to do warm up exercises before you run and stretching is a good warm up exercise. You will also need to have good running shoes to avoid injuries.

Back