How do you use the Nordictrack ski machine

I just got a NordicTrack Pro ski machine. I have been using it but it seems awkward. Like I have to lean fwd on the belly pad too much. When I try standing upright, I can't get the skis gong backward. Any body got any tips or know where I can find a how to video or users manual.

try propelling yourself using only your stride-"think" all your weight down through your feet, pushing off from your toes...an exaggerated up and down bounce may get you going, too...hold your arms as when jogging; when this feels comfortable add the arms-I set a resistance and find that I use that resistance to balance...when I need to give my arms a break I lean forward with my hands gripping the handlebars and up the cadence...

I got it going, but I think it is giving me a back ache. Have you ever experienced that. I have the elevation set on second hole from floor, and resistance about 3.5. Also I was wondering about the arm tension device, when I have it a little tight, about halfway through a 1 hr workout, the tensioner loosens up. If I tighten it up, it just loosens up a little later. I noticed too that the underside gets really hot. So I stopped trying to tighten it anymore.

I think it is giving me a back ache. Have you ever experienced that. QUOTE]

Raise the hip pad. The bottom of it should be at the top of your hips, so your thighs/hips swing freely.

I had mine set too low, and my chiropractors was freaking wondering what I was doing to my back. Raising the pad solved all problems, and it went back to being a wonderful workout.

As far as the back ache goes, the important thing is to not lean forward while skiing. I constantly have to remind my self to stand upright and this can get harder the more tired you become. If you lean forward your back will hurt after awhile. Also, like gardenmom said, make sure that hip pad is at the right height. I have mine right at my belt buckle and that works for me... Good luck!
BTW, how do you like the NordicTrack? I love mine--best cardio workout I ever had.

NordicTrack Ski Machines.

Back Problems ?
Adjust upper and lower tension for comfort and center of gravity (your belly). Make sure the hip pad height is correct (usually the top of the hip pad is about equal to your navel) and you are akways using good posture. (concentrate on standing straight as the tendency is to bend forward - so you may also need to adjust the arm exerciser cord length).

Arm Exerciser Drum Heat ?
This is normal and back plate does get very hot. Drum of course should be serviced a couple of times per year to clean any 'gunk' build up and insure smooth operation. If you ever get any 'clapping' sound, you have metal on metal and the leather pad is either in need of oil, has 'turned' and is out of alignment or worn down below the pins and needs to be replaced. Similar to the break pads on your car.

NordicDanny

Last edited:
"When I try standing upright, I can't get the skis gong backward"

Sounds like a tension or binding problem. Skis should move smooth and free. Center 'drive rollers' should spin a couple of revoutions on the forward-stroke if set right when tested by hand. Flywheel should be clean (no rust or oxidation if brushed steel belt channel and clean if black coated belt channel & belt itself should be clean - & tension re-set correctly. You might need to otherwise loosen the 'C' clamps on the axle. The forward stroke is again the tension stroke on the one-way clutch mechanism. Contact me if you need help. Danny

Last edited:
Back