How do you treat your depression?? Lets Share!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you do when you feel depressed?

I do everything what always makes me feel better and takes my depression away. I do the the workouts with music, meditation is one of the best anti-depression activity so I go for that too. Swimming is fun, it's a healthy activity for our body and mind and I just love it and feel relaxed when I swim. I cook whatever I feel like, mostly try something new I never cooked before. And most importantly, I talk about my problems and share my feelings with those who can listen with empathy and offer positive steps.

How do you treat your depression??

Since eliminating grains from my diet, depression is not much of an issue, but when I do backslide or am having an 'off' day, music and what I refer to as 'sanity maintenance cardio' generally fix me up.

For me it has to be iron and general self abuse. Depression very rapidly becomes anger with me and this is somethign I vent easily in the gym.
I have tried relaxation techniques and know they work well for many, but I have to be the total opposite end of the spectrum. When I try relaxing down, other than to sleep, if stressed or depressed my mind goes into overdrive and I get worse.
Calmest I do is a run with my thoughts. I have deliberately chosen routes before that I knew would be isolated so when tears flowed I wasn't seen. I know it's nothing to be ashamed of but when depressed you often don't want people seeing it.

Depression, or being sad? If I'm feeling sad, I let myself be sad, and perhaps share it with someone I trust (or, alternatively, with a random stranger who I'll never have to see again). If I'm actually depressed, I endure it. I've never been on anti-depressants...given my history, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. From what I hear about anti-depressants, they don't really bring you to life, they just numb you out. If I'm depressed, it generally means that I'm already numb to the things I normally love. Sometimes I can get some sort of treatment, or I guess relief from it, just by doing something I don't normally do; the problem there being that depression = no motivation or care factor = a lack of incentive to get up and do something, and a lack of faith that it'll actually make a difference. The hardest thing for me when I'm depressed is upholding the commitments that I actually cared about a month earlier; the good news is that doing stuff distracts me from just sitting in my room contemplating the meaning of life in general, the meaning of my life, and the pros and cons of breathing....and if I can keep distracting myself from the delightful void that is depression, it makes it easier to move through that phase and come out the other end where I'm back to caring about stuff again.

I should probably clarify something here. When I'm depressed, although it can be triggered by life events that upset me, being depressed doesn't automatically make me upset. It's not that I feel more negative emotions when depressed, it's that the intensity of all emotions subsides into general bummed-outness perpetuated by cycling through an existential dilemma. Things that would otherwise trigger me to be happy or excited or laugh move into the "meh" category, but so do things that would normally trigger me to be angry or scared or upset.

Because I'm such a lame human being, I just attempted to convert this into chart form, for your viewing pleasure:

In hindsight, I probably should have used blue to depict being depressed.

In order to post the above picture here, I uploaded it onto facebook, giving a brief explanation, and then discussing my experiences a bit with a few people. Now I have other people recommending me meds, which is very much not what I wanted to happen, which is frustrating, but I'm afraid of showing that it's frustrating because that would sound negative and like evidence that I need meds. I'm not even depressed right now :'(

In order to post the above picture here, I uploaded it onto facebook, giving a brief explanation, and then discussing my experiences a bit with a few people. Now I have other people recommending me meds, which is very much not what I wanted to happen, which is frustrating, but I'm afraid of showing that it's frustrating because that would sound negative and like evidence that I need meds. I'm not even depressed right now :'(

I'll bet you were more depressed after everyone telling you you needed to be on medication than at the start.
I recommend iron suppliments. Put as many as you can lift on a bar and burn off any frustrations.
Obviously this is making light of a serious situation. The key thing most miss is to fix the cause of the depression long term, getting yourself feeling a bit better short time via meds, workout, meditation etc. is useless unless you actually face up to the root issues.
As someone who spent years running away from issues and didn't expect to survive long enough to have to deal with any of them I can say for sure that issues outrun you given time and delay only helps if you have built up some mental strength in the interim.
There is no shortcut route to deal with the dung most of us have to deal with in our lives, and blaming others rarely helps much. Reality is even if someone comes forward and says 'Sorry that was my fault' you won't be cured and still have to work through the damage they caused, this aint the movies the break down is the start not the happy ending.
Ideally have someone or some people to support you, they don't have to know the people responsible, they just need to be there when you need them. Doing this alone is hard and the improvements are substantially slower.
Those helping you will get a lot of grief and occasionally just be a verbal punchbag when you are at a real low. I have helped people by being this a number of times, I cared about them more than what they were saying and have the hide of a rhino so it worked. A number have apologised after and I lost some friends due to them not wanting to face me after what they said, but it helped them so was always worth it. A few times I told people there was no need to apologise until being told this made it worse, so after that I simply accepted apologies with thanks and appreciation of their need.

You're right, much more depressed afterwards than at the start. Since I'm not actually going through depression right now, and haven't gone through severe depression since my last break-up (about 1.5 years ago), it's pretty safe (at least from my perspective) to make light of whatever I've been through.

You're also right about dealing with things at the route of the issue. One of the big things for me has been, instead of thinking "Oh, I'm miserable, better do something to make my misery go away," to analyse myself and think about why I'm experiencing what I'm experiencing. Kinda requires doing that thing that every child has frustrated their parents with, which is to ask why, and then once the answer has been clearly given, ask why. Of course, unlike young children, you have to answer that question for yourself. Requires deep thinking about yourself and your world view.

Getting out of depression is very much like training and in fairness many other things in some fundamental ways.
Have a long term goal in mind.
Set up some short term goals that will help you along the way.
The hardest 2
Give yourself a serious pat on the back when you have done well, no matter how small the achievement.
Accept and push through when things don't go to plan.

I assess myself and my life frequently, a sign of how often I have messed it up in the past as I have said. Like many I had some interesting times when younger and one of my biggest challenges was realising that it didn't matter who caused the damage only I was going to fix it. Ironically some of the people have since apologised for things they did after I had basically got over what they had done to a large extent, and I gave them full acceptance of their apologies and blank slate to start again. The apologies were nice but in reality by the time I got them I already knew the reasons and felt some sympathy for them knowing they had not been able to fix themselves and had damaged me because of it.
Of course the first step is supposed to be recognising you are depressed. The time I suffered with it I only realised I'd had it when I was one my way to recovery and it was pointed out that how I had been feeling was the physical effects of prolonged depression. The fact I am hyperactive meant depression soon turned inward to self-loathing, then inward aggression and I was used to dealing with this by releasing it on adrenalin sports. Years later when discussing the symptoms of depression I realised I had been suffering it for a few years and been working through it for a few more.
I am now a parent and like all parents try to ensure I don't do the same damage to my son, and of course fail on too many occasions. There are a lot of things I am proud of with our relationship however and the biggest is definately that he will come to me and say when I am doing something wrong most of the time, something I would never have done as a child. It hurts to hear that I am doing things that upset him but I am proud that he has the confidence to let me know. Parenthood is definately one of those areas where the more often you think you are doing it perfectly the worse job you are likely doing.

Well,Just as no two people are affected the exact same way by depression, there is no “one size fits all” treatment that cures depression. What works for one person might not work for another. The best way to treat depression is to become as informed as possible about the treatment options, and then tailor them to meet your needs. ..

I have depression and I follow a dietry supplement which is non-medicinal but using natural remedies and it helps a lot, it it contains a lot of attributes to help maintain that balance within my system, all the vitamins to uplift me, the stress reducer, the brain enhancer qualities in them to keep me feeling up beat and motivated. I use I HIGHLY RECOMMEND using the (spam link removed) and try it for a month, after 2 weeks you should feel the difference, I mean I start remembering things more often now lol... you can purchase this from or the amazon my mother purchases it from

or try what I also take in combination with the above is the anti-aging capsules which helps to promote better daily intake in what you lack daily this supplements well in restorations.. good for depression also.

Wishing you a happy day..
J

In depression,I prefer to give my mind a break from thinking too much,so I prefer sleeping for long hours or listen to music.Best way of mine is to hang out with friends the whole day.....

Being depressed can make you feel helpless. You're not. Along with therapy and sometimes medication, there's a lot you can do on your own to fight back. Changing your behavior -- your physical activity, lifestyle, and even your way of thinking -- are all natural depression treatments.

Most people will have a sort of depressive episode at some point in their lives. Exercise is an excellent way to reduce your risk for depression. Exercising releases dopamine in your brain for a natural high and sense of well being.

As far as my knowledge is concerned, GABA supplements are best remedies for depression. GABA supplements are being promoted by many as a safe and natural way to reduce anxiety levels and help combat stress. It is one of the most important brain neurotransmitters for mood regulation and boosting alpha brain.

Someone to talk to with your problems or anything that made you depressed, will have a huge development and impact. It's hard when you're all alone with it and no one to release all those negative feelings inside you that keeps you unproductive. Go out, walk and talk to a friend. :)

When I am depressed then, first of all, I am searching my ear-phone then listen to music and playing guitar. and when I listen to music then I forgot everything and I am thinking in positive way so music helps me to be cheerful, clam, and positive.
Depression is the form of excess thinking or thinks something negative to much. so don't think so much about anything and be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back