Hopefully getting a balloon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steiffmad

Just waiting to sort my finances out then hopefully going ahead with the balloon. Really worried about having it put down my throat as i have a bad gag reflex and i'm worried i will want to gag and freak out. I have been told that i can be given something to make me feel spaced out, so to speak, but worried i will still feel it and gag. Really looking forward to some weightloss, even if that means being sicky for a while, as long as it works.

AMy doctor used anesthesia for the gastric balloon. No problems with gagging until after it was put in my stomach. Then I couldn't stop vomiting.

Hi Ya. I had my balloon put in last Wednesday under general anesthetic here in a private hospital in the UK. Went on the scales today (1 week later) and I have lost 10lbs - whoopee !!

Hi all, could anyone please explain me something about the gastric balloon. What is this procedure and how does it work? I have never heard of this before on any of the weight loss forums that I have ever gone through.

Hello,

the gastric balloon is basically a balloon that looks similiar to an empty breast implant, an empty balloon is placed into your stomach via an endoscope that goes down your throat and into the stomache, than anywhere from 500 cc's - 750 cc's of water is placed in the balloon, the water is often colored (blue), so that if the balloon breaks the individual would urinate blue and this would be an indicator that the balloon had deflated.

The balloon is generally left in the stomache for 6 months, unfortunately due to acids in the stomache and risk of deflation, the balloon must be removed after the 6 months.

I believe the general cost of a balloon insertion is approximately 9000.00 in Ontario Canada.

The balloon fills part of the stomache so that the individual will feel fuller sooner, thereby eating less and hence weight loss, for some individuals the weight loss is related to the vomitting if they do not tolerate the balloon or can't tolerate certain foods or from eating too much.

I had the balloon and unfortunately my body did not tolerate it and it had to be removed within the first month, I had severe vomitting.

Balloon removal is done very similiar as the insertion, via endoscope, the balloon is pricked with an instrument to deflate it, than the balloon is pulled back up from the stomach, an instrument is used to grab onto the balloon and it is pulled up and thru the throat and removed. An endoscope has a camera and allows for visual aid. Most clinics offer some level of sedation during the procedure of both insertion and removal.

I hope that some of this info helps your question, you can google to find more. I am not a doctor, however read much info prior to my balloon insertion.

Make sure if you proceed, not only should you research about the procedure, but research the clinic that is doing the procedure, not all deliver what they make out to look like they offer, it can all sound very promising when in fact their supports are very limited, so please make sure you know not only what they offer but the frequency of what supports you can access. I was greatly disappointed in the lack of support the clinic gave me. All the research of the balloon didn't prepare me for the disappointment with the clinic.

Originally Posted by Korrie

oh stop eating!!! now why didn't we think of that! *rollseyes*

People who resort to having balloons put down their throats to control their weight really amazes me. Going through vomiting, headaches, nausea, abdominal pain etc etc is BETTER to them than actually exercising some will power to STOP EATING and to move a bit more. THEN a few months later, after the balloon is removed, state things such as I am gaining weight back etc. The more funnier stories I have heard are people eating like how they normally do with the balloon inserted. Some people never learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back