Hiking + bodyweight training

Hi, I am 19. This summer i planning an 800 mile walk in Scotland.

On the walk i want to follow a workout routine primarily targeting the upper body and core.

All i have at my disposal is my own weight and looking for a simple/effective workout. This looked good (a pyramid workout - 1 rep up to ten and then back down to 1)...

Hiking is not physically demanding for me as i have a history in it, but when i have tried upper body workouts in the past i have never seen enough progression to maintain the motivation.
I think this trip will provide more motivation into maintaining a workout like this because i am constantly active and should see more progression quicker.

I tried the workout earlier today and made it to the seventh row, but couldn't get any further than the 7 press-ups.
I like to be optimistic by setting targets: 1) Getting up to the ten row 2) Then the next back down to 1. 3) Lasting two months (roughly the end of the trip.). I don't want to finish after two months, just find it better to set short term goals.

Questions:

- From someone who works out regularly, if i were to workout every second day - how long would it take until i see some improvement (in rough estimates) ? In terms of food, i will be eating Muesli, trail mix, beef jurkey and couscous - so nutrition shouldnt be an issue?

- Is there anyway that i can improve this workout? Or is there a better, simple, body weight workout that can be used whilst hiking? I am interested primarily in endurance + strength (efficiency), over low stamina and large guns.

- After two months how far would i have improved roughly? Taking into consideration that i will be spending 6 - 8 hours walking on flat and steep inclines.

thank you

-results depend on your diet, your level of activity WHAT you're actually doing, if you can drop 50$ for it, i'd say get a pair of gymnastic rings and that right there is ALL you need for a strength building and ass kicking workout for the upper body.
-couscous is made from corn? all U.S. corn is GMO and should be avoided, not to mention the sugar and insulin issues that result from eating it and other grains, for more information check out my video

body weight workout is optimal because it can be done anywhere as long as its done correctly, progressively and not just repetitive endurance work.i made a video explaining the amazing-ness of body weight exercise, check that out

-no telling how much you'll improve, no one can see the future mate ;)

if you have any questions feel free to message me

Back