Help Me to try to help You!!!

Hello,

I know it might sound really strange nevertheless i would like you guys to help me out.
To begin with, I am 21 year old student on my last year of Bachelor Degree in Computer Science. Very active and love sports healthy eating and wellbeing. This is my final year at university and we are required to carry out a project and develop a fully interactive computer system.
I have come up with an idea which would combine my hobby with what i do. I've decided to develop an online based system to help people keep their fitness.
So far i have thought of few features such as
  • Personalized diary
  • Workout routines
  • Various reminders (meals, workouts via email, SMS)
  • Personalized Diets
  • Visual charts with progress levels
Just wanted to ask if you have any suggestions, comments , any difficulties or problems that such system might solve.
I appreciate negative and positive feedback.
Do you think such website would be useful, would you use it?
Thanks

• Workout routines

Don't try to program something rigid. Everyone has their own ideas. I've done both a personal design and fat loss I from "New Rules of Lifting" and they were very different.

Keep it flexible enough to accomidate anything.

[*]Personalized Diets

Again, make it too rigid to what you think it should be and you'll lose up to 75% of your audience.

Quick unrelated question - are you in Cardiff? If so I graduated last year with Degree in Computer Science (sorry if not!)

Secondly pretty much echo everything above - if its rigid, it won't work.

Allow the users to create their own routines, or plans etc for their various goals.

"Fitness" is a really large area - a weightlifter's goals etc will be far different from a new-mother who wants to shed her baby pounds to someone like me who wants fitness for a particular sport etc.

Given the short timescales involved with final year projects in University, either narrow down to building a personal fitness program (for you) or choose a sub area, with room to grow after - because it is a vast, vast area.

Q 1 - Are you charging for it?

If not, why not?

C 1 - If I got an SMS everytime my "personalised routine" thought I ought to be doing something, I'd probably practice my pitch just so I can launch my phone at the nearest satellite.

C 2 - People who want something bad enough will work out diaries and reminders for themselves - if they need a computerised system with all these features they'll probably cheat anyway.

C 3 - Diets and Routines. You're merely a fitness enthusiast, there are plenty more trained PTs and Nutritionists out there offering the same service with lots of nice framed certificates to make it sound like they know what they are talking about.

All that said - if it's just to test your computer whiz skills for a project- who cares if it's a real world product that anyone will use, it'll be good for a laugh.

this site might help your plan

check out myephit.com they have a personalized system that is very successful. incorporates all aspects of wellness.

I don't know if I'd use it but if it had a personal assesment and popped me out a program I might hear them out.

Blooming lotus.

Back