Heavy but not big

wishes

Coffee Addict
Hello! Had to try out the new part in the forums too :)

Ive noticed, and always have noticed that I either hold my weight well or im heavier than a lot of friends or people that are larger in size.

ie I have the same sized clothes as people who weigh up to 20kg/40lb lighter than myself - same height same size clothes, just that im heavier.

The way i figure it - im pretty strong muscle wise without doing much. Would this be the cause? or some other reason.

The only other thing different about my body is that i have fairly broad shoulders (which is great for making me seem slimmer than i am lol).

Hmm ive been reading some websites which say
Some website said:
What is the waist circumference?

Waist circumference is the distance around your natural waist (just above the navel). If your BMI is greater than or equal to 25 kg/m2, your goal for waist circumference is less than 40 inches if you're a man and less than 35 inches if you're a woman.

My waist is 36-37" - is that any help?

What are your current stats in detail?
Have you ever done a body fat measurement before/have the means available?
Do you do any weight training?

Also this isn't as accurate as calipers but it gives a much better % than BMI height to weight. Punch the numbers in here and post what you get.

At the very end there is a tape measure section to put in your stats. Don't forget to put in your age, weight and height.

All this could help better answer your question.

man that BMI crap is all up the waazoo - i thought with the waist thing going it might be more accurate, but according to
Im at only 28% body fat maximum.

ooo that one may be of more help :)

Cheers for that.

I have done some weight training, but not a whole lot recently.

Anyway ill do that site now

Body Fat % 44.19
Lbs/Kgs of Body Fat 42.86kg/94.29lb
Lean Body Weight 54.14kg/119.11lb

Sorry it took a while, i was feeding kids dinner :)

Height: 168cm/5'6
Weight: 95kg-98kg/209lb-216lb (depending on the scales)

Diet is 1200-1500 calories for the last 7 months,
3-4 weetabix & 1% milk for breakfast most days
Salad sammies for lunch most days
meat and veges for dinner

The occasional Junkie treat but staying within my calorie range
Fruit or low fat yogurt as a snack between meals (3pm and 8pm usually) or a piece of toast.
Drink about 2-3 ltrs of water a day - depending on exercise.
1-2 Coffees a day - 1% milk and no sugar

Mostly cycling as exercise, though i do swimming and weights and walking/tramping as well.

Anything else?

Hmm i just had a thought whilst out eating tonight. When measuring my hips, do i measure over the excess skin that hangs down? or do i go under?
i have *a lot* of excess skin - its gross :)

Excess skin occurs as a result of losing fat to quickly by a extreme deficit and not maintaining muscle.

I am assuming this is the caloric amount you used to lose the weight you have previously lost. If so then it was to harsh of a restriction, couple that with not having an regular weight training routine and you get lose skin, higher body fat %, and slowed metabolism.

If I were you I would try to up my caloric amount, start using a solid weight training routine, and start taking in a more balance ratio of whole foods.

As far as 48% being your body fat % I have no idea how correct that is but I would think that it is closer to the truth than BMI calculators. If you get a chance to get a professional measurement done or purchase a set of calipers to do it your self it would help you track your progress better.

In short if you are happy with the way your body is looking and results are going then it is your decision to do what you desire. If you are wanting to "tighten" up and get healthier with your caloric intake and training then it needs to be changed.

The loose skin has less to do with the dieting and more to do with a botched operation years ago,
I do weights at least once or twice a week still, just not 4 days a week which i did for the first 4 months.
Ill probably keep my calories the way they are for now, as it seems to have worked and ive lost at a very steady acceptable rate (much as id love to drop 30lb overnight lol).
Theres no saggy skin anywhere else (other than my boobs which have disappeared with the fat), so i quiet happy about it.

My main interest is why i weigh heavier than others but am the same size. Ive even wondered if the excess tummy skin has anything to do with it.

The loose skin has less to do with the dieting and more to do with a botched operation years ago,
I do weights at least once or twice a week still, just not 4 days a week which i did for the first 4 months.
Ill probably keep my calories the way they are for now, as it seems to have worked and ive lost at a very steady acceptable rate (much as id love to drop 30lb overnight lol).
Theres no saggy skin anywhere else (other than my boobs which have disappeared with the fat), so i quiet happy about it.

My main interest is why i weigh heavier than others but am the same size. Ive even wondered if the excess tummy skin has anything to do with it.

You're weight is most likely higher due to the skin, like you said, more muscle, or more fat. There aren't many reasons to weigh more, but if you feel okay and are fitting into the clothes you wish to fit in, then don't worry about the scale.

I don't even get on the scale but every week, not to judge progress, just to know. Like Leigh said, get a caliper and a camera they never lie or deceive. But again, I'm in the same boat with Leigh, IMO raise the kcal a bit and get a more rounded healthier diet.

I dont need to raise the kcal to get a more rounded diet, i never asked that.
Im here to loose weight not build muscle or anything else.
Im not overly worried about why i weigh heavier i just wanted other peoples opinion on why i might.
I HAVE to get down to a BMI of less than 30 to donate my kidney to my brother, once im down to that i will concentrate on more kcal and muscle tissue etc :)

I dont need to raise the kcal to get a more rounded diet, i never asked that.
Im here to loose weight not build muscle or anything else.
Im not overly worried about why i weigh heavier i just wanted other peoples opinion on why i might.
I HAVE to get down to a BMI of less than 30 to donate my kidney to my brother, once im down to that i will concentrate on more kcal and muscle tissue etc :)

I understand you're not trying to build muscle. And my advice was geared towards weightloss, but since you're so set on what you're doing I'll stop here..

heh Im trying to ask if anyone knows any reason why i might weigh heavier but be the same size. Not really get an entire analysis on my diet or anything else im doing.

I was just curious more than anything.

Im guessing other than the excess skin nobody really knows though. Im not to worried though about it so ill just leave it :)

Well, I looked at some of your pictures from your site, and I noticed that your shoulders still seem to be very broad, and you were very overweight for several years, according to your "about me" section.

Being very heavy set has a tendency to REALLY build your leg muscles, and they tend to be very dense when compared to other muscles around your body.

With broad shoulders, strong legs, and loose skin (How loose? Can you grab more than a handful? If so, have you tried something like weighing it?) you have three factors that all tend to increase weight in somewhat subtle ways. I'd also like to point out your regular exercise and the biking mentioned would seem to indicate that you have very "toned" muscles and good endurance.

I'm not a professional, but I do pay attention and I try to follow the "geek method" of doing a lot of research. I went to a couple of plastic surgery sites, and was looking for the weight of skin removed, because it is rare for the skin itself to weigh more than ten pounds or so for the entire body, but they remove the connected subcutaneous fat when skin reduction surgery is done. I remember reading about one guy who had 80 pounds of "skin" removed after losing 300 lbs, but I can't find a link at the moment.

In essence, it looks like you already have a good idea how much your excess skin weighs and how much extra muscle you built up before deciding to get healthier. Does my amateur opinion help here?

wow 300lb is a fair bit to loose. Mind you, im aiming at 180ish mark.

And how much skin? lets just say its more than a couple of full handfuls. From hip to hip it starts sagging , in the middle its about 6" overhang.
There is a fair bit of fat still in the skin which may affect it, but thats probably the worst of it.

Yeah i used to hate my shoulders, made my head look small and funny :D

;) It wasn't the shoulders :p

To be serious, I think that you are only looking at a few pounds of flesh there, I mean the skin itself probably weighs less than a pound, so the subcutaneous materials are where we have to look. If it was that much hamburger, I'd say you are looking at 2 or 3 pounds, depending on how thick it is.
Whenever I try to determine something like how much a body part weighs, I just assume it weighs about 90% what water does and then calculate volume. In metric, just assume .9 gms / cm^2 and use a volume measurement that is a "good guesstimate". Or just think hamburger.
A kilo of ground beef can be spread out into an 3 cm thick crescent about 50 cm long and 15 cm wide at it's widest point, right?

I think you're going to have to blame your country girl muscles :p

Notes:
-Yes, I know ground beef is not a perfect comparison to any portion of the human body, but seeing as our bodies change density regularly, nothing will be, and a 3" x 6" x 6" lump of ground beef weighs about 2 pounds in the grocery store.
-Also, I am using "guesstimates". If you don't like them, use your own and feel free to tell me I was 17.6349724% off. Then tell me how long it took you to calculate out :D
-I am assuming dead-on accuracy is not vitally important here.
-I did not use a lot of resources for this, but I found the had a few examples which listed the skin removed during a tummy tuck to be between 6 and 10 pounds.
-I am learning WAY too much about ground beef and body fat in doing this comparison.
-I had a good time looking this stuff up :D
Hope it helps!

ok since we're talking meat here and burgers. im gonna go all kiwi on you
Its about the same size as a lamb leg roast - maybe slightly smaller. I forget how much they weigh though and they have bones anyway.
Maybe a large boneless roast chicken then? :D

Okay this is just sending me into hysterics, im gonna go get some meat out of the freezer and compare sizes!

haha ok i left the food alone, i found the tape measure
so 20" across x 3" x 3" - thats 180 square inchs? is that right? my math sucks :/

Back