Heart rate recovery after exercise... and a few other questions about HRM

I recently got a Polar F4 and used it a couple of times this week just to try it out. Today I did Body Attack and these are the results from it. Keep in mind I am 23, F, 155cm, 57kg and exercise 5-6 times a week

Duration: 59 min 15 sec
In zone: 37 min, 37 sec
Avg HR: 136
Max HR: 175
Calories: 375

I noticed a little pattern. After each track, I would get a drink. HR was usually aroun 150ish. Give it a few seconds (like 10 sec) and it would start beeping and I noticed HR had dropped to 110. When I finished the class, after a minute it had gone under 100, like around 80bpm

This is good right? The quicker it drops after exercise the better but obviously the fitter I am, the harder it is to get that HR up.

Looking at my results, is that normal? I work out pretty hard, give it my best and stuff. Last couple of tracks were leg work (which we didn't move much) and core which is why avg HR is low.

MAIN QUESTION:
What is you HR recovery supposed to be? eg. after 1min, after 2min of stopping exercise etc. Just want to check I am doing everything right.

It's definitely a good sign that your HR dropped back down quickly. That does indicate fitness.

That being said, as far as I know, there's no exact number, or even range, that your HR should be after any given unit time post-exercise. That depends on your goals.

As stated earlier, faster recovery is better, but I don't think it goes much beyond that. If it was elevated for a long time afterward, it might be cause for concern, but I'm not sure at which point you would designate that.

Your heart rate dropped from 150 to 80 in 1 minute? 70 beats / minute? That's phenomenal. I have pretty good cardiovascular fitness and when I do HIIT, my heart rate goes from 150 to 120 in the first minute.

Last edited:
Your heart rate dropped from 150 to 80 in 1 minute? 70 beats / minute? That's phenomenal. I have pretty good cardiovascular fitness and when I do HIIT, my heart rate goes from 150 to 120 in the first minute.
QFT! I didn't even pick up on the fact that it was only a minute. That's crazy. I "catch my breath" really quickly after I stop (well, when I was in shape I did), but that's probably more due to an increased AT than HR. My HR never dropped down that fast.

The last track we did was core and my HR was around 120ish at the time so it dropped 40bpm. Good to know it is good though :)

I know there is a range that your HR is supposed to drop after exercise but I cannot remember it

Back