Heart Rate Monitor

I work out 2 or 3 times a week by lifting a little and then hitting the bike for 30 to 40 minutes. The bikes I use have Heart Rate monitors which constantly update. I think the listing on the bike says 170 is the max for my age group, but it's usually above that. Often it nears 200 and once it went over. Sometimes when it gets high, it suddenly drops to just below 100... I don't understand much about this, but I'm starting to wonder if there's some sort of danger with it getting high?

it is actually pretty bad to get your heart rate too high ... it's possible that you can faint for overworking. But, if the monitor is jumping from 200 -> 100, there's a possibility that it ain't working ... or, some machines will get a bit confused if one of your hands slips off.
You should maybe measure your own pulse for about 30 seconds (and x2) on your neck to make sure it's measuring correctly. It's ok to go over 170, but i would be careful about going too high ... which i think 200 might be.

You are probably picking up interference from someone near you. And your heart rate really depends on your goal.

Key Target Zones

60-70% of max hr Good for weight loss, building endurance or recovery

70-80% of max hr Good for improving cardiovascular fitness

80%+ of max hr Interval workouts

Thanks, I didn't even think of that. I'm sure it's not true though. For a full 2 weeks, I neared 200 and was always around 190 even when there was no one else near. I think this was just a factor of being really bad shape-wise. I weigh 280 and I may have just been trying too hard - something I've never done before. But I'm thinking I'm passed the hump - last week I did the same workouts and stayed alot closer to 170.

170 isn't too bad. I would aim a bit lower, but I wouldn't worry too much if you reach 170 during your workout.

The 170 is probably from 220-your age. That is only a guess. Many people can go higher. Especially if you are someone who has exercised regularly over your lifetime - usually you won't lose that one beat per year. When it drops below 100, I think that's probably just an error. Hearts just don't go from 200 to 100 and back that quick, but those monitors can be off. They pick up interference from radio waves and electrical circuits.

The heart rate is only one measure of workout intensity. Also go by RPE (rating of perceived exertion) and "The talk test." RPE means "On a scale of 1-10, how hard is this?" Don't stay at 9 or more for more than a couple minutes. The talk test means you should be able to talk while exercising - not talk normally, but you should not get to the point where you really can't talk at all.

.. that actually reminded me of something. On the treadmill, I see a number that says MET or METS (can't remember) ... the number is usually between 10-12 for me .. what is that?

Back