Has anybody heard/joined of Food Addicts Anonymous

Addypug

I have been having some trouble with excess eating/binging for a while so I decided to go to a Food Addicts Anonymous meeting (I saw a flyer about them at the gym). Everyone there seems very successful at losing weight and they have a very strict no sugar, no flour, no snacks between planned meals regimen. I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this group? or diet type? just wondering if anyone has any words of advice or recommendations?

No sugar, no flour, no snacks? Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Way too strict to keep up for the rest of your life, so once you go off it, the weight will come back on, probably more than before.

Also, sugar is actually healthy, in moderation, so I would never cut it out of my diet completely. Now that I think about it....any 'diet program' that requires you to cut a certain thing out of your diet completely is destined to fail, or at the very least, it isn't healthy, or sustainable.

So personally, I would stick with going to the gym (which you apparently do seen that you saw the flyer there), and eating healthy.

I'm not a member of Food Addicts Anonymous so I can't speak for them. I am a member of Overeaters Anonymous (OA) and I can speak a bit to why FA might advocate no sugar, no flour, no snacks.

FAA like OA follow the path established by Alcoholics Anonymous. AA's literature describes the alcoholic as having an allergy to alcohol which drives the compulsion to drink. Many in OA and I believe FA think of sugar and flour the same way as the alcoholic thinks of alcohol. Food addicts have an allergy. I know for me, sugar is a problem so I avoid it. I don't eat things made with white flour either. I do eat whole grains. I don't snack but my meals are large enough to hold me. Lots of OA Members do snack (though often these mini-meals go by other names).

Frankly, the body does not need refined sugars or flours. I do think it sometimes needs more than 3 meals a day.

And, just to qualify a bit here, I came to OA in July 2002 at 306 pounds (I am 5'10") and by October 2003, I was 170. I've been there since.

All the best...

He didn't specify 'refined sugars' in his op. All it said was sugar.

I must say I find the comparison of an alcohol or food 'addiction' (term used very loosely, I am a firm believer that there is no such thing actually) to an allergy. An allergic reaction would have the opposite effect, making you get away from the thing that causes the allergy, rather than going back to it time and time again.

I'm allergic to strawberries, and believe me, I have no compulsion to go and eat them whatsoever. So that makes no sense to me to be honest.

I've changed my eating habits in August last year. I went from 368 to 238 without cutting anything completely from my diet. In fact, if I had cut something out totally, I probably wouldn't have made it this far.

I used to eat until I would throw up, and then eat some more, but I had no 'food addiction', not in the physical sense. I just liked the taste of the stuff, and I liked to eat, that's the top and bottom of it.

Other than a few days of headaches because I stopped drinking coffee, I had no 'withdrawal' symptoms, or the compulsion to go back to eating the way I was before. So I am rather sceptical about the 'compulsive' eating and the allergy theroy.

I have been in FAA and I would be very cautious. First, it is a 12-step program, which is okay with me; however, it is a very controlling one. Not only is there no sugar (honey, high fructose corn syrup etc.) and no flour. There is a daily call to a sponsor (hope you get the right one) and daily readings of the big book and the 24 hour a day book. Plus 30 minutes of 'quiet time'. You must also weigh and measure your food and commit it daily to your sponsor. You must also attend three meetings a week (if possible). The meetings are structure and you can't speak unless you have 90 days of abstinance. You must also make three outreach calls (to others in the program) a day. They also eschew exercise lest people use that as an excuse to eat more and remain in their 'addiction'.
There are a lot of religious overtones to the program. If that doesn't bother you then that is fine. I found it somewhat irksome, but not a showstopper.
Having said that, I found a number of people that have lost a lot of wieght and kept it off for a number of years.
I left the program because I found it somewhat cult-like. After a while it was a little creepy with sponsors (contrary to program guidance btw) giving advice on doctor prescribed medications (common) on relationships and other aspects of peoples personal lives.
What I took away was avoiding sugar and weighing and measuring my food. These were and are important disciplines to me.
The rest of it I can do without!!

He didn't specify 'refined sugars' in his op. All it said was sugar.

<snip>

Other than a few days of headaches because I stopped drinking coffee, I had no 'withdrawal' symptoms, or the compulsion to go back to eating the way I was before. So I am rather sceptical about the 'compulsive' eating and the allergy theroy.

I understand what you're saying, and I think allergy is definitely the wrong word, but there is some validity to the idea that sugar & flour can be addictive in that they cause an insulin spike which can cause cravings/hunger etc. Generally, eating the same amount of sugars in fruit doesn't have the same result because the fiber slows down the insulin spike (I'm not entirely sure on the details of how this works). And you may even end up craving starchy foods so you'll have something for the excess insulin to work on.

So while I personally think it makes more sense to learn what foods cause the insulin spike and avoid them or pair them with something to soften the spike, I can see where some people would just find it simpler to avoid sugar & flour in general.

Fa!!! Works

I have been in the FA program for a month and 3 weeks. I am am food addict and this program is only for food addicts. Just like some one that is an alcoholic they need to go to AA meeting right? Well with out this program I would have never have a chance to live a brand new life or should I have choicen to sit and eat my way to my death..... because that's how I was feeling before FA. FA is a new path to Know your higher power as you know him to be. I am happy. that's my message. Thanks Thalia:blush5: remember that food addiction is a serious disease and one should know if they are a food addict or not

I have been in the FA program for a month and 3 weeks I am am food addict and this program is only for food addicts just like some one that is an alcoholic they need to go to AA right? well with out this program I would have never have a chance to live a brand new life or should I choice to sit and eat my way to my death..... because that's how I was feeling before FA is a new path to Know your higher power as you know him to be. I am happy. that's my message. Thanks Thalia

oh you can do it with out being in the program thats not possible if your a food adict

the program is just for food addict

did you not know this?

Sounds dodgey to me. Basically you're a food addict if you've had any of these symptoms:

Physical Symptoms of Food Addiction
• Do you think you cannot control your intake of food, especially junk food or high sugar foods?
• Have you tried different diets or weight loss programs, but none has worked permanently?
• Have you found yourself vomiting, using laxatives, diuretics, or exercising a lot to avoid a weight gain after you have eaten a lot?

• Do you find yourself feeling depressed, hopeless, sad or ashamed about your eating or your weight?
• Do you find yourself eating when you are upset or reward yourself with food when you do something good?
• Have you ever noticed after eating sugar, flour, or wheat that you become more irritable?

I have at least 2/3 of those and am in no way, shape or form addicted to food. I like food. I like eating. I don't like my weight, which makes me guilty when I do eat. But I'm not addicted whereas this FFA stuff would say different.

I'm def these two:

Do you eat in private so no one will see you?
• Do you avoid social interactions because you feel you do not look good enough or do not have the proper fitting clothes to wear?

But I'm over-weight because I don't exercise enough and my calories are too high. Think this approach is going to make people feel justified being over-weight because it's a "disease".

Hi this is Thalia thanks for your input but I am a food addict I would think I would know that on my own with out someone telling me that does not know me that I am not. So if someone hits rock bottom and they need help they will find this meeting on there own. I love my life because I am working towards my dreams and I feel so relieved that I do not have to worry about food any more because I know what I can eat and not eat and how much to eat I love FA but not every one is a food addict and not everyone has the courage to be totaly honest with the program I am and I am sure am looking good! :driving:

Back